[WIP] Project GTeV - Toyota AE86 meets Nissan Leaf

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
GTeV

[WIP] Project GTeV - Toyota AE86 meets Nissan Leaf

Post by GTeV »

Hi All,

I've been sitting on an AE86 for the better part of 20 years. It was my daily driver for a while and then sat for years. It's now time to revive it and electrify it.

The plan is to use all the running gear from a Nissan Leaf, I have a 2019 (ZE1), and move it all over. I had hoped for a 62KWh variant but wrecked/second hand EVs are still hard to come by in Australia. Because the gearbox in it is 40yrs old and was never considered sturdy to start with, I'm swapping that out for a TL70 from a GT86 and intend to use the same mating as Zapatero used in his GT86.

I'd like to keep many of the ancillary features of the Nissan to modernise the AE86 but will hold some of that over until after it's running and registered. This is intended to be a restomod project so purists might not love it but I want a EV run around that looks good, goes well, and I don't have to wake up the family if I'm going out for a very early morning surf!

I expect to have the Leaf in parts in the next two weeks and then start fitting up the motor & gearbox, and the batteries to the AE86 and have an engineer lined up to sign off on those and other critical parts of the build. I am working to a June timeframe to have all the engineering signed off as the car's booked in a body shop to get cleaned up, have a new JDM body kit fitted and fresh paint.

Fair warning, I'm terrible at posting but I'll try to keep this up to date!

Chris
Pete9008

Re: Project GTeV - Toyota AE86 meets Nissan Leaf

Post by Pete9008 »

Nice cars the AE86 (I've got the 4AGE engine and 5speed box out of one in a kit car). It should make a great conversion.

Looking forward to updates/pictures!

BTW - welcome to the forum :)
marcexec

Post by marcexec »

Welcome to the forum, pictures please! :)
A motorcyclist is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.
Getting started guide for Celeron55's iPDM56
My Suzuki RF400 build @ES
Honda IMA & Lebowski howto
Zapatero

Post by Zapatero »

GTeV wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:21 am Hi All,

I've been sitting on an AE86 for the better part of 20 years. It was my daily driver for a while and then sat for years. It's now time to revive it and electrify it.

The plan is to use all the running gear from a Nissan Leaf, I have a 2019 (ZE1), and move it all over. I had hoped for a 62KWh variant but wrecked/second hand EVs are still hard to come by in Australia. Because the gearbox in it is 40yrs old and was never considered sturdy to start with, I'm swapping that out for a TL70 from a GT86 and intend to use the same mating as Zapatero used in his GT86.

I'd like to keep many of the ancillary features of the Nissan to modernise the AE86 but will hold some of that over until after it's running and registered. This is intended to be a restomod project so purists might not love it but I want a EV run around that looks good, goes well, and I don't have to wake up the family if I'm going out for a very early morning surf!

I expect to have the Leaf in parts in the next two weeks and then start fitting up the motor & gearbox, and the batteries to the AE86 and have an engineer lined up to sign off on those and other critical parts of the build. I am working to a June timeframe to have all the engineering signed off as the car's booked in a body shop to get cleaned up, have a new JDM body kit fitted and fresh paint.

Fair warning, I'm terrible at posting but I'll try to keep this up to date!

Chris
If you need the CAD drawing please contact me, i'll send them to you.
Looking forward to this project!
Please post tons of pictures ;)
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

have you seen the hydrogen powered and the ev ea86 toyota did recently? https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-news/t ... d-hydrogen

i have adapter plates for the em61 motor and the tl70 (same pattern as any Subaru)
subi_em61.jpg
https://bratindustries.net/ leaf motor couplers, adapter plates, custom drive train components
Ev8

Post by Ev8 »

Awesome love anything Japanese and rwd! Looking forward to seeing progress
GTeV

Post by GTeV »

The Leaf (my little girl named it George) has been disassembled and I will be getting rid of the shell this week to make space for the AE86.
20221110_091325.jpg
20230211_141053.jpg
The engine removal was relatively straight forward after I'd managed to get the locked hub nut off the axle - that took a bit of persuasion with a grinder, big hammer and punch, and a pipe wrench. I also put my dad to work! Before it's carted away I'm going to take every last bracket off it so I don't have to re-make anything later.
20230304_162141.jpg
20230304_165308.jpg
20230305_131350.jpg
I've managed to fill three tubs with wiring harnesses and will need to decide later whether I take out the extra wiring or not.
20230306_105013.jpg
20230306_104947.jpg
20230306_104954.jpg
I also got hold of an almost new gearbox, 18,137kms according to the wrecker, last week. I will need to figure out a solution for relocating the shifter so that it lines up for the AE86.

The rough workplan for the fitment stage is:
1) Motor and gearbox mounting which will need engineering sign-off
2) Battery placement. I've got this sketched out on a scale drawing but need to mock it up to really understand the floorpan modifications required.
3) Firewall modification to layout component and wiring placement and ensure the right holes and mountings are in the engine bay and firewall.
4) PDM position, HV cabling, charge ports (here's a peak at what I'm thinking)
20230303_181838.jpg
It's a workday, so I'll leave it here.
GTeV

Post by GTeV »

Bratitude wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:17 pm have you seen the hydrogen powered and the ev ea86 toyota did recently? https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-news/t ... d-hydrogen

i have adapter plates for the em61 motor and the tl70 (same pattern as any Subaru)subi_em61.jpg
Yeah, I had a good look at the media available on two Toyota concept cars. My take is that the driver who track tested them for the promo video preferred the EV to the hydrogen version. That gives me a bit more confidence in building this!

Apart from Toyota's concept, the only other AE86 I've seen converted was the US one that popped up on (I think) the Hoonigan channel. It's a drift car with a DC motor.

I'm definitely aiming for something much cleaner. I just ordered an almost full J-blood kit and a CBY hatch with integrated N2 duck tail.
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

GTeV wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:23 am Yeah, I had a good look at the media available on two Toyota concept cars. My take is that the driver who track tested them for the promo video preferred the EV to the hydrogen version. That gives me a bit more confidence in building this!

Apart from Toyota's concept, the only other AE86 I've seen converted was the US one that popped up on (I think) the Hoonigan channel. It's a drift car with a DC motor.

I'm definitely aiming for something much cleaner. I just ordered an almost full J-blood kit and a CBY hatch with integrated N2 duck tail.

just reread your first post, i mistook you using a em61 motor.

i have a full adapter kit for the em57 ( the same motor you have) and for the gearbox your using. https://bratindustries.net/product/em57-adapter-plate/

probably liked the instant torque...

itll be fun. the leaf motor when tuned can pull. hard.
https://bratindustries.net/ leaf motor couplers, adapter plates, custom drive train components
GTeV

Post by GTeV »

I have had a look at your adaptor plates (I actually have your shop page bookmarked). However, shipping a couple of plates of aluminium from Canada to Australia makes much less sense for me than getting them cut locally. In saying that, I appreciate the effort you've put in to design and manufacture!

This is my offsider stripping the interior out of the rusty donor AE86.
20220806_101735.jpg
GTeV

Post by GTeV »

So, I got lucky!

I bought this leaf at a salvage auction and it was the only one salvage leaf I could find in Australia at the time. I took a bit of a gamble as the compliance plate listed the car as an 'e+', but the auction listing had it as a base model and the rear of the car had no additional badging. Anyway, long story short, it is an e+ so I'm feeling pretty happy with myself at the moment as that was what I was after.

The shell is getting picked up today now that I've taken almost everything out of it. That makes space for the AE86 which I'll organise to pick up next week from the warehouse it's currently sitting in. That means the real fun begins.

One question while I'm thinking of it. Is it possible to essentially eliminate the Leaf shifter in a straight transplant (ie, without using a Thunderstruck or Resolve solution)?

If be happy to move the function to a switch or switches.
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

i wouldn't do a full transplant. its a nightmare.
janosch

Post by janosch »

GTeV wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:49 am One question while I'm thinking of it. Is it possible to essentially eliminate the Leaf shifter in a straight transplant (ie, without using a Thunderstruck or Resolve solution)?
Bratitude wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:18 am i wouldn't do a full transplant. its a nightmare.
Yes, GTeV, what exactly do you mean by straight transplant?

Can you explain how it is meant to work in a few bullet points or paragraphs.
We have done a transplant in our first attempt and got it "working" in the end but that was a total disaster, so a quick sanity check here might save you weeks/months. I am happy to elaborate.
GTeV

Post by GTeV »

janosch wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:58 pm Yes, GTeV, what exactly do you mean by straight transplant?
What I mean is taking almost everything from the Leaf and putting it into the AE86. The core part is the motor stack, charging ports, and battery (+BMS), and associated wiring/fuses/controls (VCM etc), but in addition I'd like to also keep a lot of the ancillary features.

It's quicker to list the features that I'm not planning to use which are:
  • ABS baking
    wheel speed sensor
    rear axle yaw sensor
    airbags
I'm planning to do something similar to Mick Longley with his Fast Leaf project (https://www.youtube.com/@RegenEVs) and use:
  • the leaf cluster (digital display),
    brake and accelerator pedals,
    the HVAC system,
    infotainment system,
    EPS (with the leaf steering wheel),
    brake booster (and ABS distribution block - just not connected).

However, because the motor will be mated with a manual gearbox, I'd like an alternative to using the gear selector. In my simplified thinking the N will do little to nothing and ideally selecting D would be done with the handbrake (e-brake) where, lever down is D, (brake engaged (lever up) is P), and R isn't required.

Can you tell me more about what happened with your transplant? What systems did you use or eliminate?
janosch

Post by janosch »

Ok,

I had a quick look at the fast leaf videos, so it seems you are aware of the road ahead.

- steering column
- wipers
- pedals
- brakes

are all a pain. How did he delete his ABS? The system doesn't like to turn on without the brake pumps disconnected.

The speedo never shows the correct values, there will be warning lights on permanently on the dash, some of which were a problem for licensing in the UK.

You are locked into a weird system and using it out of spec. Ours periodically refused to go into ready mode, and then just some endless "turning it on and off" fixed it, it would go into turtle mode randomly even at a half charged car.

Initially we thought the system would be like an onion where you take some layers off that you don't want, I think it is more like an egg, or a coconut, once you start removing one thing you have a mess, so you might be better of building a system from scratch/from first principles as you will have wanted to do it that way around afterwards anyway.

By all means, carry on on your path, I have been down it and it will get you to a barely driveable car with some quirks. If that is all you want you are golden, if you are aiming for something decent this isn't the way. ZombieVerter or OpenInverter are your friend.

Two paths:
- have a black box that is hard to debug and that will make its own choices without you sometimes
- build something from first principles that you can understand.

The second path is *way* better in the long run.

If you are very confident in CAN debugging I am sure you can emulate individual components, but I wouldn't go that way.
GTeV

Post by GTeV »

Cheers Janosch. It's useful to have the complexities laid out because in most threads there's little explanation of why a person chose to use 'x' controller/adaptor board.

I have been trying to get a better understanding of Damian's ZombieVerter as well as other options. Part of the challenge seems to be support for the 160kw inverter or parts of it. I'm still reading whatever I can find on the various options to help make an informed decision but below is my current understanding of where they're up to. My first preference would be the OI board if it were available as it seems to work very well for the Gen2 gear.

- OpenInverter: this is still an open project (for Gen3)
- ZombieVerter: seems like a viable option - DM posted a video it of controlling a Gen3 stack
- Resolver: doesn't currently support the PDM for anything post 2017 (I've emailed Isak about it)
- Thunderstruck: seems like another option that currently supports the Gen3.

As a side note, Mick retained his old dash cluster, solves the speedo problem, and hid his leaf one under the dash (so you can't see all the errors!). I've got a speed signal from the gearbox that I intend to use. As to how he got the brakes working, below is his reply to my email about how he got the brakes working:

"I haven't enabled ABS yet as I haven't figured out a way to use the wheel speed sensors. I need to machine something that will allow the hub oil seal to mount to the hubs so I can have the WSS inputs, then I'll have full ABS and traction control. Fortunately the brake controller doesn't care if the ABS system is powered up, so that's the route I'd suggest for your swap. If you can find a way to mount the LEAF hubs please let me know - I haven't had a chance to put much effort into it over the past couple years - too much fun to drive!"
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

GTeV wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:43 am
- OpenInverter: this is still an open project

what do you mean?

its a fully function project many people, including my self are using this method. push the gen2 inveter to 130-140ish kw with it.
GTeV

Post by GTeV »

Bratitude wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:24 am what do you mean?

its a fully function project many people, including my self are using this method. push the gen2 inveter to 130-140ish kw with it.
I mean with regards to the Gen3 160kw inverter (I was looking at threads like this: viewtopic.php?t=2324 and viewtopic.php?t=2846). If I've totally misunderstood and if functions perfectly well for the 160kw inverter that's great.

Otherwise it looks like ZombieVerter is probably my best option, with the Thunderstruck as an alternative.
janosch

Post by janosch »

GTeV wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:43 am - OpenInverter: this is still an open project (for Gen3)
- ZombieVerter: seems like a viable option - DM posted a video it of controlling a Gen3 stack
- Resolver: doesn't currently support the PDM for anything post 2017 (I've emailed Isak about it)
- Thunderstruck: seems like another option that currently supports the Gen3.
The motor is unchanged from Gen3/2, so you can swap the inverter for the Gen2 one and use OpenInverter, they are just a few hundred. (Doesn't support the PDM, so you need a separate charger & build rapid charging separately).

Re: hiding the dash, we have been around that route, you are starting to carry baggage around and have doubled up systems.

It sounds like you have done a fair amount of research, good luck. If you are UK based come to London and I show you how we have built it, if you are further north, maybe see if a forum member there can show you what they have done.
GTeV

Post by GTeV »

Once again, thank you very much for your advice and offer of help (though I'm in Australia, so it's unlikely I'll be taking a trip to London anytime soon).

Your description of your experience and advice of starting from first principles really helped clarify my thinking and spurred me to consider further about how it all comes together. One of my limitations is using the motor stack and batteries that I have from the donor leaf because alternative parts are scarce and expensive around here. That was also, in part, what drove my questioning about transplants - the performance and range from the parts I have would be fantastic. To give you an example of prices here, to buy a KTR Rotex coupler through the local supplier I was quoted just over $1200 +GST (10%) + postage.

The more I weigh the options, I think the ZombieVerter is shaping up to be my best option. I feel like I still have a bit more that I need to understand before I commit to it so if you have any links to installation guides (posts, pictures, docs, videos) that would be great. I'm reading my way through the VCU threads, I've watched Damien's youtube vids, and googled for what I can find.

In the mean time I'll just crack on with getting everything else built. I've got a machinist to do the coupler and motor to gearbox mounting plates for me and I'm just arranging for the AE86 to come home from the warehouse that it's been hiding in for the past 4 years - hopefully that'll be early next week!
GTeV

Post by GTeV »

I haven't given an actual update in a while now and a few things have happened.

1. The Leaf was taken away.
20230406_130251.jpg
2. The AE86 was delivered and rolled into the carport (whoops, I forgot to take pics!)

I've since removed most of the sound deadening using dry ice but need a few more kilos to finish the job. I've taken off the doors, front quarter panels, bonnet and hatch. The gearbox is templated and I've got the aluminium plate for the job. The coupler has splines welded in and the test fit is positive. My 4 platform scales were also delivered (I need to test them to ensure they function and calibrate!).

Next few big steps on the work program are:

1. Cut and fit the motor to gearbox adaptor

2. Position it in the car and set up mounts

3. Set up new radiator mounts

4. Build a quick wooden scales jig (to keep them in place so I can roll the car on)

5. Open (finally) the battery box take the modules out and start distributing the weight around and assess whether I can make these modules work!

And finally, here are some photos I've taken along the way.
20230508_144607.jpg
20230506_093515.jpg
20230506_093451.jpg
20230506_090153.jpg
20230506_155012.jpg
20230506_155008.jpg
20230506_162130.jpg
DkubusEV

Post by DkubusEV »

Looking really great so far.
1998 Mercedes R170 SLK gs450h project
2003 Smart-Roadster hillclimb EV (DC)zilla2k
1976 Purvis-Eureka EV kit car
2011 Ford focus EV (DC)Soliton1
1990 Daihatsu charade G100 3 door DC conversion.
Ev86

Post by Ev86 »

I’m starting my own ev86, looking forward to seeing more progress, are you just going to make the adapter plates by hand?
GTeV

Post by GTeV »

I've had a bit of a slow down due to work getting busy, but yes, I'm cutting the adaptor plates using a jigsaw. It's a little slow but quite workable and significantly cheaper. I've used 20mm 6061 plate for the most part.

I'm hoping to finish welding up a welding table/ workbench this weekend and then get back on this build.
GTeV

Re: [WIP] Project GTeV - Toyota AE86 meets Nissan Leaf

Post by GTeV »

A little bit of catch up is overdue!

I've been slowly chipping away at this. The Motor to Gearbox adaptor plates are just about finished, just a bit of clean up, and locating to ensure alignment of the two shafts before welding it all up and having it machined flat.

My engineer provided some advice that forced a rethink of my battery plan. It means selling the Leaf pack and using something else. I considered prismatic cells, 18650 cells, and pouch cells. While the pouch cells were my least favourite option to begin with that's where I've ended up - Farasis 73Ah cells. The fit within my height constraint of 120mm for the under Passenger and under Driver positions with height for thermal management in the form of a thick water cooled baseplate for the boxes. I got a sample of 6 to see how they fit.
20240205_153538[1].jpg
I then printed up a sample end plate to check fit. I intend to use these in a 2P 104S configuration which should give about 56kWh (146Ah at 385Vnominal).
20240213_130719[1].jpg
20240213_130731[1].jpg
20240213_130859[1].jpg
It may not be entirely clear in the pictures but the tabs will fold over each other and be bolted together with the busbar. The bolts will also locate the cell taps and I've yet to accommodate thermistors.

The design leaves space for an aluminium transfer plate and two thermal pads between each cell. The transfer plate will have a face on the bottom side of the module that will sit flush on the water cooled battery box baseplate. I've taken some design cues from the LG Chem Super Cells that EV West are marketing (https://www.evwest.com/catalog/product_ ... cts_id=534) but will use side plates instead of top and bottom. I also intend to put connecting rods from one side to the other to minimise any swelling.

Anyway, a bit more playing around but these will fit in much more neatly without cutting frame rails - which is a major engineering/certification problem in Australia. I will then need to build the frame to hold the boxes and my engineer put emphasis on the frame meeting the regulations so a bit of design and fabrication to go there.

On other news, I picked up my JDM style body kit a couple of weeks ago and I'm very happy with the quality. Full j-blood kit with a CBY hatch with ducktail. Unfortunately I didn't take pictures while I had it all unboxed.
20240201_121557[1].jpg
If anyone's got feedback I'm all ears. I didn't really want to build my own battery modules just because of the time, but here we are!
Lot's of other little bits are coming along too.