Toyota GT86 with Nissan Leaf Motor (Update 11/2022: 160Kw)

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
Qckslvrslash

Re: Toyota GT86 with Nissan Leaf Motor

Post by Qckslvrslash »

So I am just reading through this project and really admire your battery boxes.

I am curious, what did you use material wise/thickness and what is your heaviest box. I am just about to build my own boxes and have been going back and forth between aluminum and steel and thickness I need. Would love to hear specifics on yours.
Zapatero

Post by Zapatero »

Hi, it is AlMg3 Aluminum in 3mm thickness. My heaviest box consists of 6 Modules / 12 Cells

The box in the rear where the spare wheel was is 1,5mm steel with 24 Modules / 48 Cells.
Zapatero

Post by Zapatero »

I upgraded the brakes to a 4 pot caliper - non relatet EV-Stuff :)
PXL_20210506_102730599.MP.jpg

Also i changed the tires to Dunlop BluResponse. As i had UHP-Tires before this makes a big difference in range.
To raise efficiency further i covered the underbody as good as i could. Goas was to improve airflow and reduce the drag.

Before:
PXL_20210506_102740408.MP.jpg
PXL_20210506_102752564.MP.jpg
After:
PXL_20210509_124043708.jpg
PXL_20210509_124026129.jpg
Robthetramplingman

Post by Robthetramplingman »

You did a really clean build! Nice👌
SubiEV

Post by SubiEV »

This is an well-engineered conversion. Thanks for sharing.

I'm curious how you get the factory tach to still work?
SubiEV

Post by SubiEV »

What gear do you spend the most time in? How often do you change gears? Do you use reverse gear, or do you have a contactor? I'm debating going with a single speed reduction instead of keeping the manual...
Scubascooby

Post by Scubascooby »

I've signed up just to congratulate Philip on this conversion.

This is exactly the sort of conversion I've been thinking about for my 2008 Legacy diesel.

The troublesomee engine is a good candidate to replace, the body has plenty space to accommodate batteries, large fuel tank and large exhausts and more space under the boot floor.

Permanent 4wd will help with regenerative braking and it has ePAS so one less thing to worry about.

I hadn't considered the Leaf system but 148bhp matches the diesel power but is a bit down on torque.

It's a bit beyond my skill to do on my own so I am looking for a potential company to do it.
Project: EV Subaru Legacy estate diesel
Zapatero

Post by Zapatero »

I added a new gimmick to my car: A new head unit. I think it looks awesome and finally I've got that data displayed :)

I'll driving my car for two years now, almost daily. Still love the car. The last issue I have is the sudden Regen and the traction control tripping out when the steering angle exceeds a certain limit. Other than that it feels like a factory car. A wish would be to implement a CCS charging ability, but it's not really necessary.
IMG_20211028_165743.jpg
IMG_20211028_165731.jpg
RetroZero

Post by RetroZero »

This is the type of build we all aspire to. Hope you don't mind me posting on my website www.retrozero.fr or Facebook page. I am trying to show examples of conversions of this quality, and hope someday to get my prototype close to that.
Scubascooby

Post by Scubascooby »

Would you ever consider doing conversions as part of your business ?

Someone on DIY electric car has started looking into Nissan LEAF CCS upgrade.
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

Scubascooby wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:26 pm Someone on DIY electric car has started looking into Nissan LEAF CCS upgrade.
Dala, he’s quite active here. https://dalasevrepair.fi/
https://bratindustries.net/ leaf motor couplers, adapter plates, custom drive train components
Scubascooby

Post by Scubascooby »

When I first read this thread I skipped over all the drive spline discussion but having re-read it I'm puzzled.

It looks like the clutch and flywheel were removed so does this mean that changing gear on the move is best avoided (clutchless changes) ?

I think I would prefer to retain the clutch in my Legacy so the issue would become the flywheel and adapter to the Leaf spline.
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

It's quite easy to shift clutchless if you temporarily disable regen. Clutches introduce a new set of issues and are hardly any good, as shifting gear is mostly unnecessary.
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
arber333

Post by arber333 »

Scubascooby wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:38 am I think I would prefer to retain the clutch in my Legacy so the issue would become the flywheel and adapter to the Leaf spline.
From my experience clutch is another mode of failure on the electric drive train. Ive been there like 3 times! in the end i removed the clutch and replaced it with Lovejoy coupler with the hardest rubber i could find. After 40Kkm on Mazda it is still there whereas one lower quality clutch departed after just 2000km!!! Dont forget electric motor applies torque in 1/100th of a second while petrol engine does that in 1/10th. poor clutch springs dont know what hits them.
EDIT: Just so you know... if you use solid clutch disk you will fare no better. I have done this and it is a waste of money. After like 20Kkm the splines sheared off the clutch disk! This makes sense since they are softer than the shaft splines and are used for sacrifice in case of engine seizure.

Clutchless shifting (if you really have to use transmission) is simple like everything EV. Use a button to disable motor torque (possibly on the gearshift knob) move from gear to neutral and close the desired gear on the opposite side. It takes a little time for the synchros to align RPM and then you can slide the gear in. See how i have done it... language is slovenian, sorry...
https://wordpress.com/post/mazdamx3ev.w ... s.com/2235
Scubascooby

Post by Scubascooby »

Interesting.

All the conversions I've looked at that retained the gearbox also looked like they retained the clutch.

I suppose the clutch pedal could be repurposed as a switch to disable regen.
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

Zapatero wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:14 pmI connected the Tesla DC-DC charger and figured that it wouldn't charge. So i looked up another threat in the "general" section on this forum where i found a video. There someone explained that the Hardware-Enable-Pin has to be put on +12V. It's the red cable in the picture. I did so and now the DC-DC is working, too.
Incredible build bruh, and mad, [ahem] metal drawing skillz

tell me that Tesla DC-DC converter does all it require is the Hardware-Enable-Pin to be pu on +12V or do you have to send it PWM signals or CAN commands, I am trying to keep my '71 Chevy truck build on the Neanderthal build skills level if I can
"I don't need to understand how it works, I just need to understand how to make it work!" ~ EV Greg
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

Gregski wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:51 am
tell me that Tesla DC-DC converter does all it require is the Hardware-Enable-Pin to be pu on +12V or do you have to send it PWM signals or CAN commands, I am trying to keep my '71 Chevy truck build on the Neanderthal build skills level if I can
All is needed is 12v enable pin and it spits out around 14v.

Can allows for changing voltage
https://bratindustries.net/ leaf motor couplers, adapter plates, custom drive train components
Zapatero

Post by Zapatero »

The EV86 is driven on a daily basis during summer. At the moment it is exhibited at a car tuning fair where i normally wouldn't go but i wanted to demonstrate that the EV86 is a possibility to have a fun and cool electric car that is not boring.
PXL_20220527_101439431.jpg
Zapatero

Post by Zapatero »

Earlier this week i took some people for a test drive. Absolutely everyone who experienced the instant power of the EV86 is convinced that electric cars aren't so boring after all 8-)

m.art.y

Post by m.art.y »

Insanity! And that's a Leaf motor 😲
mfox

Post by mfox »

cool video :)
Dusty4

Post by Dusty4 »

Love a bit of EV hooning! ;)
Romale

Post by Romale »

Zapatero wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 7:05 am Absolutely everyone who experienced the instant power of the EV86 is convinced that electric cars aren't so boring after all 8-)
I really liked this work.
Once I did a similar thing with jaguar xj351.
I would like to ask a few questions:

Was it possible to somehow defeat the sudden regeneration?
maybe the solution is not to exceed a certain rpm?
or did some setting help to reduce it?
is your settings file still the same as in the piggy bank of verified settings, or has something been updated and improved?
evil neodymium :twisted:
Zapatero

Post by Zapatero »

I'm at the Moment in the process of installing a 160Kw Inverter and controling it by CAN to skip the custom software in the inverter.
I tried for a long time but i coudln't resolve it. If you're not so power hungry like me it doesn't bother so much.
eee291

Post by eee291 »

From the video I assumed that you had it resolved somehow. I guess there go my plans for using a leaf Motor. I hope it'll work fine with a asynchronous motor.