Toyota GT86 with Nissan Leaf Motor (Update 11/2022: 160Kw)

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
Zapatero

Toyota GT86 with Nissan Leaf Motor (Update 11/2022: 160Kw)

Post by Zapatero »

Hi folks,

my name is Philip and i'm from Germany, Ulm. I had plans to convert a car to electric since more than five years now. Finally i found a way to adapt an electric motor into a CAN Bus car and make it work - the Leaf Inverter Board from Johannes. As i'm an car enthusiast i find that most electric cars that are affordable aren't exactly fun to drive. So i decided i want an electric RWD fun car that still has the capability of transporting my whole family: The Toyota GT 86.

I've done plenty of engine conversions in the past, but always worked with ICE. This will be my first electric conversion. Also i build four wheel campers:
http://www.weltreisewerkstatt.de

I already purchased the Openinverter board with the Nissan Leaf adaptor. Also i have the full set of CAN Bus codes from https://www.geraldjustprojects.com/. Yesterday i designed the gearbox adaptor for the leaf motor in CAD.
I have the complete Engine of the Leaf and also the whole 24 KWh battery system.
Now i only need the car where im already in negotiations to get my handy on a GT 86 with severe engine failure.

I Still need the Coupler for the Motor, but i think i've found a solution that i can manufacture in my workshop as NewElectrics didn't reply to my emails about the Leaf Spline Adaptor.

Technical Update #25 January 2020:
  • Motor Nissan Leaf 2014
  • Estimated Power 140Kw, 400nm torque
  • Connected to the OEM Gearbox by an custon made cupler and adaptor plate.

Battery Pack
  • 24 KWh Battery Pack with 48 modules and 96 cells out of the Leaf 2012
  • Spread through the car in various places:
  • Custom modified spare wheel well for 24 modules
  • Custom made fuel tank boxes for 12 modules
  • 2 Custom made boxes in front, one under the motor with 6 modules and one next to the motor with 6 modules
  • If i like the result of the project i will invest in a 30KWh battery pack out of a newer leaf

Battery Management System:
  • Orion BMS 2
  • Everything is fully CAN-bus controlled

Inverter
  • Nissan Leaf Inverter with Johannes Huebner main board, fully CAN-bus controlled

GT86 ECU
  • Arduino based replacement ECU for CAN-communication from Geraldjustprojects.com

Charger
  • ELTEK Valere 3Kw Charger, fully CAN-bus controlled
    [']Chademo-Charging will be available, Orion BMS does support it. Just have to implement it physically in the car, i already have the parts

DC-DC converter
  • First GEN-Tesla Model S converter, just needs an +12 enable signal
Zapatero

Re: Toyota GT86 with Nissan Leaf Motor

Post by Zapatero »

Here are my drawings to fit the Motor to my gearbox. Several adaptor rings will be placed inbetween the tho adaptor plates. All parts will be laser cut out of 8mm aliminum. My idea is to get it all done without having to mill the adaptor to keep the cost low but still have high accurancy of the alignment of the motor to the gearbox.
Zapatero

Post by Zapatero »

That`s what the finished adaptor should look like:

Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Zapatero wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:19 amI Still need the Coupler for the Motor, but i think i've found a solution that i can manufacture in my workshop as NewElectrics didn't reply to my emails about the Leaf Spline Adaptor.
Sorry to hear you had no response from NE Amsterdam... I've asked them for an update.
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
Zapatero

Post by Zapatero »

That would be awesome, I'd love to purchase one!
Thatguyoverthere

Post by Thatguyoverthere »

FYI, some threads floating around on other forums state that the Fiat Multipla clutch friction plate has the same diameter and spline count and should fit the leaf motor shaft. Just ordered one for myself, so I guess I'll find out as well.
https://github.com/kaelinwilson
Leaf Motor/Gen1 Camry Inverter
Zapatero

Post by Zapatero »

Unfortunately it does not, it has to much play on the shaft and will most likely wear out! It's the same with the Suzuki Samurai Clutch disc.

Check this video for the fitment of the Suzuki clutch disc:

Fiat clutch disc is 20,1x22,5-20N, which is by the way the same as every cheap Lada Niva disc!

Suzuki Samurai Is 20,1x23,1-20N

Nissan leaf is 19,2x21,7x20N

I might have found something from a Porsche 911 (Sachs 1878005583) that should be a bit more tight. It's dimensions are 20,1x22,3-20N, so a it should sit tighter than the Suzuki or Fiat disc. So I'll try that
Zapatero

Post by Zapatero »

Unfortunately the Porsche Clutch disc which should be better than the Fiat Disc just by the specs doesn't serve it's purpose at all. Check for your self:

I'll order the Fiat Disc and try that - NE Amsterdam still didn't reply :oops:
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Kevin Sharpe wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:57 pm
Zapatero wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:19 amI Still need the Coupler for the Motor, but i think i've found a solution that i can manufacture in my workshop as NewElectrics didn't reply to my emails about the Leaf Spline Adaptor.
Sorry to hear you had no response from NE Amsterdam... I've asked them for an update.
Not good news I'm afraid (here) :(
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
crasbe

Post by crasbe »

Sachs definitely has clutches with 20x22-20N pattern: https://www.atp-autoteile.at/de/product ... ngsscheibe

Try calling Sachs or Sachs Performance directly. Maybe they can give you the center part of a clutch since that's all you need to fabricate the adaptor.
Zapatero

Post by Zapatero »

crasbe wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:30 am Sachs definitely has clutches with 20x22-20N pattern: https://www.atp-autoteile.at/de/product ... ngsscheibe

Try calling Sachs or Sachs Performance directly. Maybe they can give you the center part of a clutch since that's all you need to fabricate the adaptor.
I ordered the Clutch - if you're right that is a GREAT find!!!!!! :!:

Kevin Sharpe wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:07 am Not good news I'm afraid (here) :(
I'm sorry to hear that, but i think that they had their reasons to decide that way (economical reasons i guess)
purplespark

Post by purplespark »

I shall watch this with interest,as I'm still looking for something to fit the Leaf spline !
Are you 100% sure that 20x22-20N are the correct spline dimensions ? I've searched but can't find any specs.
It would be brilliant if this clutch centre fits properly !
let us know ! ;)
zippy500

Post by zippy500 »

Google is referencing this clutch plate to a 1988 onwards Honda Civic-

Is anyone one getting this answer ?
crasbe

Post by crasbe »

zippy500 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:18 pm Google is referencing this clutch plate to a 1988 onwards Honda Civic-

Is anyone one getting this answer ?
That's what the linked page says as well. I attached screenshots of the compatible cars.
Attachments
2019-10-30 19_56_15-SACHS Kupplungsscheibe – Opera.png
2019-10-30 19_56_02-SACHS Kupplungsscheibe – Opera.png
Zapatero

Post by Zapatero »

As soon as the clutch disc gets delivered i'll let you know how it fits!
Really excited about this find!
Zapatero

Post by Zapatero »

The Board is finished and i'll drop it in tomorrow.
Then i'm going to connect the Inverter to the Car to see how unhappy the car is with the situation of the missing Engine...

Thatguyoverthere

Post by Thatguyoverthere »

Zapatero wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:21 am Unfortunately it does not, it has to much play on the shaft and will most likely wear out! It's the same with the Suzuki Samurai Clutch disc.

Fiat clutch disc is 20,1x22,5-20N, which is by the way the same as every cheap Lada Niva disc!

Nissan leaf is 20x22-20N

I might have found something from a Porsche 911 (Sachs 1878005583) that should be a bit more tight. It's dimensions are 20,1x22,3-20N, so a it should sit tighter than the Suzuki or Fiat disc. So I'll try that
You were right about the fiat disc, I'm sending mine back. In the meantime, I've ordered the Honda Civic 27/32"x20 spline friction disc as it actually had measurements listed on rockauto
https://github.com/kaelinwilson
Leaf Motor/Gen1 Camry Inverter
Zapatero

Post by Zapatero »

The Toyota GT86 is finally here. Next week i'll take the engine out and also the fuel tank to see, how many batteries i can fit instead of it in place.
Getting all the batteries somehow appropriate in the car seems to be a bit of a challenge. In the worst case, some of them have to go in the trunk :oops:

Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Zapatero wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:38 am The Toyota GT86 is finally there.
Can you put the car on some corner scales? World be really interesting to see the weight distribution before and after conversion 8-)
mike77cos

Post by mike77cos »

Looking forward to watching this with interest
purplespark

Post by purplespark »

Thatguyoverthere wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:11 pm
Zapatero wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:21 am Unfortunately it does not, it has to much play on the shaft and will most likely wear out! It's the same with the Suzuki Samurai Clutch disc.

Nissan leaf is 20x22-20N

You were right about the fiat disc, I'm sending mine back. In the meantime, I've ordered the Honda Civic 27/32"x20 spline friction disc as it actually had measurements listed on rockauto
I think we need to get to the bottom of this !
I've measured the leaf spline and I get an o/d of 21.65mm. I would have said that 22mm is not going to give a snug fit.
I,ve seen some Honda civic clutches that have an id of 27/32" which is .008" too small. I'm no expert but I spoke to one engineer who suggested
spinning the motor and applying some emery cloth , "might " get it to fit . Having said all that, Damien has used a samurai clutch centre (I think),
but he shrank a cylinder over it for his coupler to compress it slightly - maybe he might chip in with his thoughts ?
Zapatero

Post by Zapatero »

purplespark wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:45 pmI would have said that 22mm is not going to give a snug fit.
Your guess was absolutely correct! It's not the Honda clutch disc either. It has a little less play then the Porsche Disc, but it still isn't a snug fit.

Next attempt is:

SACHS 1864506031
Volvo 850
19,1x21,8-20N

I've finally measured the Leaf spine, too. My results are: 19,2x21,7x20N

so with just a tiny bit of emery cloth on the inside of the Volvo disc spline, to get rid of 1/10th mm, it could be the perfect fit. I'll let you know! :!: :!: :!:
Zapatero

Post by Zapatero »

Kevin Sharpe wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:48 am
Zapatero wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:38 am The Toyota GT86 is finally there.
Can you put the car on some corner scales? World be really interesting to see the weight distribution before and after conversion 8-)
Here are corner weights in Kg of the standard GT86

FL 350
FR 352
RL 281
RR 273

Front 702
Rear 554
Total 1256

I will measure the car after the conversion and let you know the results.
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Zapatero wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:05 amHere are corner weights in Kg of the standard GT86
Very cool... thanks :D
purplespark

Post by purplespark »

I'll keep my fingers crossed for the Volvo !