Gen 3 Inverter ... Failure To Invert

Topics concerning the Toyota and Lexus inverter drop in boards
ktcveritas

Gen 3 Inverter ... Failure To Invert

Post by ktcveritas »

Having some trouble here, would really appreciate any help.

Background:
Working on a hybrid Jensen Healey conversion, using a v1c board bought last december with a G9200-47210 inverter off ebay, and am trying to use it with a 36500-2BDD0 Hyundai hybrid PMSM motor. The mounting holes on the board don't quite line up with the physical supports the inverter has to offer, but I've managed to maintain both ground connections regardless.

Hardware:
Using a power supply to provide 14V to the board and for HV, a 94V 132A battery, hooked up in the typical lightbulb/switch fashion, though no fuse. With every HV connection, the lightbulb is bright for a moment, then fades, as it should. 14V is applied to MG2_FORWARD, as well as one of the 12V inputs for the board. I used to also apply 14V to the START pin, as one source suggested this would enable inverter function, but I found it would not let me enter manual run mode, so this was unplugged in later testing.

Software:
I'm running the latest sine firmware (v5.20.R-2 at time of writing), but have also tried running 4.90 as well as other sine versions to no avail. I can connect to the web interface reliably, though experience interruption when updating the firmware. After updating the firmware, parameters are not present until board is restarted by cycling the power. This is not an issue, but I'm trying to be as thorough as possible in explaining this, so that it may help others (some of these took me awhile to find out.) Running in encoder AB mode, as to allow motor operation w/o resolver feedback. I've attached my parameters as they are.

Issue/Symptoms:
I have no errors, nor warnings of any kind and I can view the values of the current sensors, voltage sensors, temperatures, etc. Upon entering manual mode, I can see noise on the current sensors, and things seems to be working as they should. Upon 14V powerup, there is a *quiet* high pitched whine, but this does not change upon entering manual mode. It also does not change with any alteration to the fslipspnt or ampnom values, which I have set to the recommended 10 and 100 values, respectively. However, upon setting these values, I can register ~1.2V rms (using DC func on voltmeter) between each of the UVW channels and the inverter casing. This changes responsively back to 0 when these values are set back to 0. I've tried removing the lightbulb after pre-charge and shorting, but also no change.

It's really odd - everything seems to be in place, but I can't find what's holding this back.
Is the inverter just shot?
Is there a way to test if it is?

I'd really appreciate any help this board could have, even willing to compensate for any troubleshooting services.

Thanks,
Kieran

Inverter Params:
https://www.reddit.com/user/STNaperone/ ... er_params/
yaroslav

Re: Gen 3 Inverter ... Failure To Invert

Post by yaroslav »

Take a photo of the remaining parameters of the inverter, as well as the diagnostic parameters that are at the very bottom
bexander

Post by bexander »

I'm not shure but I think you have to put the inverter in "run" first and then "manual run" to get it to work.
To set the inverter in run, you need to supply 14V to start pin only for a short period of time (<1s).
ktcveritas

Post by ktcveritas »

Bexander: Good advice ... tried this, to no avail. Tried all combinations I can think of (apply when off->turn on board->turn off ,,, turn on board->briefly apply power ,,, etc.)

Yaroslav: Sorry, here's the link to the full list of parameters+diagnostic info.
https://www.reddit.com/user/STNaperone/ ... cs_last_2/

Thank you guys for responding!,
Kieran
lsh3rd

Post by lsh3rd »

ktcveritas wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:19 am Background:
Working on a hybrid Jensen Healey conversion, using a v1c board bought last december with a G9200-47210 inverter off ebay, and am trying to use it with a 36500-2BDD0 Hyundai hybrid PMSM motor. The mounting holes on the board don't quite line up with the physical supports the inverter has to offer, but I've managed to maintain both ground connections regardless.
If you are wondering about the misalignment, this particular inverter should use the "small" formfactor board, which Damien sells as the "Auris/Yaris Inverter Logic Board". I think what you did will still work fine - as others have altered the boards mechanically to make this work. I'm assuming that this particular inverter uses the Prius current sensors and not the Auris/Yaris current sensors... eventually if you go FOC, this might matter. I'm using a small form factor v1d "dual motor" board in exactly this same inverter and have only gotten around to confirming PWM output on the bench using sine FW - I'm in process of assembling a small HV battery to see if I can get a motor to spin. I will get to that soon.

Have you tried to look at the PWM output between the STM32 and the 50 pin connector after entering manual mode? I'd recommend to examine the solder joints on the 50 pin connector very carefully as well.
yaroslav

Post by yaroslav »

At first glance, there is no error in the parameters, everything should work. The switching voltage of the contactor you have is 0
yaroslav

Post by yaroslav »

Have you tried feeding +12-14V to the start input?
ktcveritas

Post by ktcveritas »

Yeah, that's why this is confusing the hell out of me. I have tried applying 12-14V to 'mg2-start' to no avail. Maybe the inverter is shot or my soldering isn't so great. I'll run through it all again and buy another inverter. Curious which inverters use the big board type so I don't have to get clever with the fitment ...