Teslarado

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
windydrew

Teslarado

Post by windydrew »

Ok, so I've been silently watching and building. Well, the time has come to join in. I have a 14 Chevy Silverado 2500 that had a Duramax. Drivetrain is gone. Fuel tank is staying as I'm adding a 22kW diesel range extender. I have added a 1st gen Chevy Volt battery where the exhaust went. It roughly takes up the area that the fuel tank does. I have installed a Model S SDU where the transfer case went, driveshafts are installed using stub adapters. I have the T2C controller and have it spinning the driveshafts. Working on wiring up the Dilithium BMS now. My plan is to add a circuit to allow the generator to charge the batteries while driving, and still allow charging that wont allow pulling away while driving. I also have Damiens i3 CCS adapter that I would like to add, only issue is I'm using the Tesla Model S charge port so I'll be having a tough time making it play nice with the BMW parts. I have begun to break down what the Tesla port has for circuits and how to adapt to the i3 board. Ok, here's the pictures.
Attachments
20230108_164054.jpg
20221220_231101.jpg
MattsAwesomeStuff

Re: Teslarado

Post by MattsAwesomeStuff »

I love unconventional builds. Excited to see your updates on this!
celeron55

Post by celeron55 »

We don't have many DIY hybrids so this is interesting.
muehlpower

Post by muehlpower »

what about the gear ratio? Are there suitable gears for the SDU?
windydrew

Post by windydrew »

muehlpower wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:09 am what about the gear ratio? Are there suitable gears for the SDU?
Good catch. Forgot to mention that. 9.3 ratio SDU, 3.73 axels. 28 to 1 overall. Top speed 50 mph. 4.5 ratio gear set unavailable, Q1/2 2023 availability. So Ill deal with it being in town for now.
elShankos

Post by elShankos »

windydrew wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:42 am Ok, so I've been silently watching and building. Well, the time has come to join in. I have a 14 Chevy Silverado 2500 that had a Duramax. Drivetrain is gone. Fuel tank is staying as I'm adding a 22kW diesel range extender. I have added a 1st gen Chevy Volt battery where the exhaust went. It roughly takes up the area that the fuel tank does. I have installed a Model S SDU where the transfer case went, driveshafts are installed using stub adapters. I have the T2C controller and have it spinning the driveshafts. Working on wiring up the Dilithium BMS now. My plan is to add a circuit to allow the generator to charge the batteries while driving, and still allow charging that wont allow pulling away while driving. I also have Damiens i3 CCS adapter that I would like to add, only issue is I'm using the Tesla Model S charge port so I'll be having a tough time making it play nice with the BMW parts. I have begun to break down what the Tesla port has for circuits and how to adapt to the i3 board. Ok, here's the pictures.
Great, thanks for sharing your build info. I also have a Tesla model s charge port which I'm planning on using but haven't gotten to tinkering with it yet - please do share any info on what you figure out / how you get it to work nicely etc. Thanks again!
windydrew

Post by windydrew »

I ordered a CCS1 200A port and Tesla Gen 2 Charger Board today. Need to get this truck on the road. Dilithium Slave boards should be arriving today to finish the battery wiring along with the HV contactor junction box and fuses. Making progress. Might get driveshaft spin this weekend....