Tesla Gen2 Charger - New 2023 Wifi Module Newb Question?  [SOLVED]

Topics concerning the Tesla front and rear drive unit drop-in board
elShankos

Tesla Gen2 Charger - New 2023 Wifi Module Newb Question?

Post by elShankos »

Hi All,

I have a 10kW Tesla Gen 2 charger and I got my OI kit in the mail the other day and the wifi module and mini PCB that comes with it doesn't quite look like all the other red ones... it looks like this:
image.png
So I thought I'd make a post as I'm probably not the only one who spent a little while fiddling around and hunting for info because: if I wiring it like this:
image.png
its all good and the pins are right etc but.. I can't close the lid because it's too high. But then if I take the spacer out in between the wifi board and the mini PCB then the bottom of the mini USB port clashes with the pins below it.

So has anyone else had this peculiar challenge? I could bodge it but I figured I'd ask first in case someone has a pic to share? Or a suggestion? Thanks!
Attachments
image.png
arber333

Re: Tesla Gen2 Charger - New 2023 Wifi Module Newb Question?  [SOLVED]

Post by arber333 »

elShankos wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:48 pm ......
So has anyone else had this peculiar challenge? I could bodge it but I figured I'd ask first in case someone has a pic to share? Or a suggestion? Thanks!
I simply made a cable with 4p square connector on one end and soldered it to corect Vcc, GND, TX, RX pins on the wifi board
viewtopic.php?p=45438#p45438
https://leafdriveblog.wordpress.com/202 ... interface/
lsh3rd

Re: Tesla Gen2 Charger - New 2023 Wifi Module Newb Question?

Post by lsh3rd »

I left out all the sockets, and just used the header, but didn't set it all the way down and carefully soldered in place... would this work for you? I'm using it in an inverter, so I can't tell if this would fit in the Tesla charger.
elShankos

Post by elShankos »

lsh3rd wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:06 am I left out all the sockets, and just used the header, but didn't set it all the way down and carefully soldered in place... would this work for you? I'm using it in an inverter, so I can't tell if this would fit in the Tesla charger.
Thanks for the response. So I tried a few things - firstly making it as flat as possible:
image.png
But even this was too high.

So then I went ahead and linked the 2 boards together with cables like arberr suggested:
image.png
And attached them underneath with some double sided tape so that the wifi board would be "suspended in place":
image.png
I tested it and its all working just fine. So I guess this is 1 way to do it - hopefully it's helpful to others :)
So don't be like me and get confused by the spacers that come with the kit! :D

Thanks for the responses!
arber333

Post by arber333 »

elShankos wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:33 am Thanks for the response. So I tried a few things - firstly making it as flat as possible:
But even this was too high.
So then I went ahead and linked the 2 boards together with cables like arberr suggested:
And attached them underneath with some double sided tape so that the wifi board would be "suspended in place":
I tested it and its all working just fine. So I guess this is 1 way to do it - hopefully it's helpful to others :)
So don't be like me and get confused by the spacers that come with the kit! :D
Thanks for the responses!
OK!
What i did was use a bit longer cable, routed it around the alu wall and i fixed the Wifi module on the other side over the charger module. It seems i get less disturbance that way. Using Lolin Wemos D1mini i get wifi signal some 5m from the car now. Go figure.
elShankos

Post by elShankos »

arber333 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:39 am OK!
What i did was use a bit longer cable, routed it around the alu wall and i fixed the Wifi module on the other side over the charger module. It seems i get less disturbance that way. Using Lolin Wemos D1mini i get wifi signal some 5m from the car now. Go figure.
This is probably a better idea than what I did above - if I get bad reception in the future, I'll move it round the other side as you suggested - thanks :)
lsh3rd

Post by lsh3rd »

Another option for bad reception would be to wire in the Ethernet adapter like this user did... viewtopic.php?p=34770#p34770
jsimonkeller

Post by jsimonkeller »

Thank you to everyone that posted here. It helped me understand the layout of the newer board and how to deal with the cramped space.
PXL_20230310_040332481.jpg
I am having issues with the contactors opening up when the charger is plugged in. I did not have this issue on the older version of the board, so not sure what might be causing it this time around.
Attachments
PXL_20230311_195344390.MP2.jpg
PXL_20230310_124233994.jpg
PXL_20230311_191349502.jpg