V1 Gen3 charger controller - CAN

Topics concerning the Tesla front and rear drive unit drop-in board
mane2

V1 Gen3 charger controller - CAN

Post by mane2 »

Hiya all,

I have Tesla Gen3 charger, with early version of charger controller board. Board says V1 but not sure of the software version. It It has two CAN chips, but Damien told that does not have CAN features yet implemented. Has anyone tweaked this software to support controlling it by CAN?

I can start charging by sending s from terminal (via computer) when controller is powered and when INPUT1 is hot (12v). But that's the only way to start charging. Just by activating INPUT1 with 12v, it wont start.

CAN does not respond or send anything. Pilot & Proximity signals go to Orion 2 BMS, and the idea was to start the charging from there.

All help needed! Thanks!
mane2

Re: V1 Gen3 charger controller - CAN

Post by mane2 »

I'm also wondering where is source code for this Open Source board/project. There is a github repo here https://github.com/damienmaguire/Tesla-Gen3-Charger but no source code.

I could only find Gen2 sources. Maybe it's same software for Gen3? If Gen2 software works with Gen3, I could just compile sources with Arduino IDE and flash the board... right?

Next question would be, which sources to use. Damien has sources here:
https://github.com/damienmaguire/Tesla- ... rgerV4.ino

but Tom seems to have some fixes to it in his fork here:
https://github.com/Tom-evnut/Tesla-Char ... rgerV4.ino

I have Arduino Due, and I was able to compile and upload the code to board, and I was able to see the output in serial monitor (after removing #define Serial SerialUSB line).

But.. is it the same software? If I upload Gen2 code and it wont work, I can't upload Gen3 code back .. because it's nowhere!?
m.art.y

Post by m.art.y »

mane2 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:39 am But.. is it the same software? If I upload Gen2 code and it wont work, I can't upload Gen3 code back .. because it's nowhere!?
If you want to be safe and be able to go back to your old firmware perhaps just clone the chip first? But gen2 and gen3 charger code is essentially the same. There have been different versions of it, with latest having more features added. I'm using code for Tesla V4 board which seems to be the latest. But Tom has just recently edited that code on his repo trying to fix a bug where charger keeps dropping charging current and then ramping up again. If you have a Tesla gen3 V1 standalone board I don't see why the latest code won't work on it, you simply might need to configure some pins. Please try to upload latest code and let us know.
mane2

Post by mane2 »

We found the issue. IC6 5v regulator chip had burned on board, so the board did not get power when it was plugged to 12v only.

CAN actually works, and it uses Elcon charger protocol for can messages. So no need to upgrade firmware, but need a new board.

Probable reason for IC6 burning, was due some testing couple years ago. In Damiens github, there was old pinout for the board, where 12v input was actually USB Digital input. When I gave power and computer was connected, it actually fried the USB chip on board and also my computer. I then send the board back to Damien, and he fixed the USB chip and removed the wrong pinout from github. When replacing USB chip, we didn't notice that there was this IC6 chip also burned. So that caused the confusion. Every time it worked when you plugged in USB to test and debug, but never in car as standalone.. This was a tough one :)