Tesla Combined Charging System (CCS)

Development and discussion of fast charging systems eg Chademo , CCS etc
Kevin Sharpe

Re: Tesla Combined Charging System (CCS)

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

lucasvanlierop wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:18 am I guess reusing Model 3 parts might be (a lot?) cheaper.
ECU is typically €50 :D
lucasvanlierop wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:18 am A downside I can think of is that the Tesla CCS ECU might be difficult to reprogram/update.
I suspect we'll have no problem getting the latest ECU given Tesla sold ~100,000 Model 3's in Europe in 2019. They also undertake a lot more testing than we'll manage ;)
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Useful CharIN document detailing CCS power classes 8-)
DC-CCS-Power-Classes-v6.pdf
(595.54 KiB) Downloaded 194 times
DC CCS Power Classes for Conformance Tests.png
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
prensel

Post by prensel »

lucasvanlierop wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:18 am https://github.com/V2GClarity/RISE-V2G/ ... sev2g/evcc) that talks to:
- Contactors via gpio pin + driver
- The BMS (Libal) via CAN Bus
- The EVSE via a Homeplug green PHY modem such as the device from Codico
I did look at this RISE-V2G project and it seems very nice at first glance but as far as I see it's more of PoC and not suited for production, every day use.
There was a small video/demo somewhere based on an RPi module based expansion board that seem to work though.
I asssume (or wonder) by rerusing the Tesla module/unit there needs te be some changes to be made according the certs and such ?

It would be really nice though if i could charge my Th!sla at the Tesla SuC using my Model 3 credentials but I dont thinks thats feasable..
= Th!nk PIV4 Collection, support, sales =
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

prensel wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:06 am It would be really nice though if i could charge my Th!sla at the Tesla SuC using my Model 3 credentials but I dont thinks thats feasable..
I have no doubt that once Tesla find out you're stealing electricity Mr Musk's lawyers will pay you a visit :!:
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Or a tragic guidance "failure" on a Falcon 9 launch.....
I'm going to need a hacksaw
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Jack Bauer wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:37 pm Or a tragic guidance "failure" on a Falcon 9 launch.....
at least the video of their final moments would be an instant YouTube hit :D
prensel

Post by prensel »

Kevin Sharpe wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:54 pm
prensel wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:06 am It would be really nice though if i could charge my Th!sla at the Tesla SuC using my Model 3 credentials but I dont thinks thats feasable..
I have no doubt that once Tesla find out you're stealing electricity Mr Musk's lawyers will pay you a visit :!:
Unfortunally Mr Musk is taking money from my creditcard everytime I have visited a SuC :-)
So there's no stealing here, I just want use the same credentials as my Model 3 has for charging other non-Tesla-vehicles-that-appear-to-be-Tesla at the superchargers
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

prensel wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:57 pm I just want use the same credentials as my Model 3 has for charging other non-Tesla-vehicles-that-appear-to-be-Tesla at the superchargers
I would recommend you discuss this with Tesla and get approval in writing before you attempt to charge a non Tesla vehicle at the supercharger.

Now, back to making this work :)
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Some more useful CharIN documents :D

Combined Charging System Specification (V1.2.9)
Combined_Charging_System_Specification_V1_2_9.pdf
(710.18 KiB) Downloaded 354 times

Design Guide Combined Charging System (V7)
Design_Guide_Combined_Charging_System_V7.pdf
(4.27 MiB) Downloaded 864 times

CCS Guideline (V1.6)
CCS_Guideline_v1p6.pdf
(699.02 KiB) Downloaded 226 times
prensel

Post by prensel »

I truly believe that CCS is next level in complexity and difficulty compared to Chademo for example.
Setting up a decent testbed to get this working is a pre-requirement.
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

prensel wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:55 am I truly believe that CCS is next level in complexity and difficulty compared to Chademo for example.
Setting up a decent testbed to get this working is a pre-requirement.
Please take your negativity somewhere else... this thread, and open inverter in general, is about the positive outcomes of component reuse, knowledge sharing and open source :!:
tom91

Post by tom91 »

prensel wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:55 am Setting up a decent testbed to get this working is a pre-requirement.
I would say it be sure helpful to have something like a protable CCS charger handy for testing, these things are 'inexpensive' at 3k usd, compared to a full size charger at easy 10-15k.

Or is there a CCS charger from a kind/helpful network nearby? As pissing off a CCS charger regularly might end up frustrating a network provider.
Founder Volt Influx https://www.voltinflux.com/
Webstore: https://citini.com/
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

tom91 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:32 pm As pissing off a CCS charger regularly might end up frustrating a network provider.
Tesla have more than 100,000 CCS cars in Europe, i'd say it's well tested hardware/software. The 'trick' is to ensure that we emulate the Model 3 so that the Charge Port ECU is happy. Lots CAN capture and logs are/will be used before we ever go near a public charger. Don't over think this, the ECU has five connections to the car.

Obviously, if the community want to fund a CCS charger for our tests that would speed up our development 8-) I seem to remember I gave you a Type 2 Charging Station so you could test your charger controller software so maybe you could return the favour ;)
prensel

Post by prensel »

Kevin Sharpe wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:05 pm
prensel wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:55 am Setting up a decent testbed to get this working is a pre-requirement.
Please take your negativity somewhere else... this thread, and open inverter in general, is about the positive outcomes of component reuse, knowledge sharing and open source :!:
I really don't see why you regard my statement as negative.
Currently i'm working on setting up the CCS client-server sample as displayed on the RISE V2G and take it from there in converting the java based setup to something more useable.
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

prensel wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:45 pm Currently i'm working on setting up the CCS client-server sample as displayed on the RISE V2G and take it from there in converting the java based setup to something more useable.
Great! Now kindly start a new thread and leave this for those who are interested in Tesla CCS. I really want to minimise the noise and provide a useful resource for the developers who are working on this solution :)
EVPanda

Post by EVPanda »

Im currently in the late planning stages / buying stage of my build. I bought a gen 2 tesla charger, and if I am reading this right I need the charge port from a model 3. Do I also need a second gen 2 tesla charger? I want to say no because it bypasses the charger if I am reading / understanding this right. Sorry I am still trying to learn all of this.
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

EVPanda wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:48 pm Im currently in the late planning stages / buying stage of my build. I bought a gen 2 tesla charger, and if I am reading this right I need the charge port from a model 3. Do I also need a second gen 2 tesla charger? I want to say no because it bypasses the charger if I am reading / understanding this right. Sorry I am still trying to learn all of this.
We plan to deploy the Tesla CCS Charge Port ECU on two test vehicles, one has two Model S/X Gen 2 chargers with a third party CCS connector, and one has a Model 3 PCS with a Tesla Model 3 CCS connector.

If you're looking for a CCS connector today then the Model 3 version is very robust and we know it can support at least 250kW at 350V. It's also known to work with the charge port ECU which may save you a lot of work in the future.

Note that we don't yet know whether we must emulate all the Tesla functionality including flap motor, NFC, temperature sensors, etc., to fool the ECU into operating. We'll know much more in the next month or so.
EVPanda

Post by EVPanda »

Looks like I am in the market for a second Tesla charger. Thanks.
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

EVPanda wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:49 pm Looks like I am in the market for a second Tesla charger.
I do not expect the CCS ECU will have any dependancy on the number of chargers. Also be aware that support for multiple Gen 2 chargers may not be available on V5 controller cards for a long time (if ever).

My advice is wait until this all settles down a bit :)
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

NOTE: Given you're in the US you cannot use the Tesla Model 3 European CCS connector ("CCS2") on your car because it's a different form factor to the US CCS connector ("CCS1") that you'll find as you're driving around :(
ac-dc-charging.jpg
MuskTang

Post by MuskTang »

Kevin Sharpe wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:18 pm NOTE: Given you're in the US you cannot use the Tesla Model 3 European CCS connector ("CCS2") on your car because it's a different form factor to the US CCS connector ("CCS1") that you'll find as you're driving around :(

ac-dc-charging.jpg

Would this potentially be (an expensive) option?

https://www.evseadapters.com/products/u ... r-adapter/
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

MuskTang wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:30 pm Would this potentially be (an expensive) option?
I don't think we want to put >50kW through an adaptor cable. If the car is in the US then fit a Type 1 CCS connector 8-)
MuskTang

Post by MuskTang »

Kevin Sharpe wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:52 pm
MuskTang wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:30 pm Would this potentially be (an expensive) option?
I don't think we want to put >50kW through an adaptor cable. If the car is in the US then fit a Type 1 CCS connector 8-)
Ah yes that could be terrible I suppose! I was thinking this would be a workaround for the handshake.

Would I be able to use an i3 Type 1 port/cabling with an open sourced Gen 2/3 Tesla Charger? Sorry for my nativity!
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

MuskTang wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:22 pm Would I be able to use an i3 Type 1 port/cabling with an open sourced Gen 2/3 Tesla Charger? Sorry for my nativity!
CCS does not require a charger.

If you're asking a generic question about Type 1 AC connectors and the Tesla chargers, then I doubt the i3 cabling was designed for 10kW and therefore you'd have to take a view about it's capacity to handle higher currents.
JaniK

Post by JaniK »

Kevin Sharpe wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:33 pm We plan to deploy the Tesla CCS Charge Port ECU on two test vehicles, one has two Model S/X Gen 2 chargers with a third party CCS connector, and one has a Model 3 PCS with a Tesla Model 3 CCS connector.

We'll know much more in the next month or so.
Even though you say month or so, I must ask now when I get the idea.. :D

Have you got the Model 3 PCS running with can control allready? How about Type2 charging+CCS with Model 3 battery? That would be awesome.
- Plenty of packs going to be available soon.
Any opinions are my own, unless stated otherwise. I take no responsibility if you follow my way of doing things and it doesn't work. Please double check with someone who knows what they are doing.