The LandYacht BMW E39 Saloon

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
Kevin Sharpe

Re: The LandYacht BMW E39 Saloon

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Jack Bauer wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:12 am So, its looking increasing like the Gen 3 Prius MG2 power stage is indeed capable of propelling a road vehicle.
Very cool :)
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
TheSilverBuick

Post by TheSilverBuick »

Jack Bauer wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:12 am while holding speed on the hill the mg2 die temp raised to 45c. Level cruise 30c approx.
What sustained temperature would make you concerned? Is there a known "not to exceed" temperature?
Need to learn. Starting from the basics.
Isaac96

Post by Isaac96 »

TheSilverBuick wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:24 pm
Jack Bauer wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:12 am while holding speed on the hill the mg2 die temp raised to 45c. Level cruise 30c approx.
What sustained temperature would make you concerned? Is there a known "not to exceed" temperature?
Usually IGBT's are rated for at least 150 Celsius, but losses increase at higher temps.
Johannes' firmware derates at 85 Celsius, so we could call that a good point -- there are lots of PCBs inside the inverter which might not like the high temperatures. Also water coolant might boil if temp goes too high.

-Isaac
TheSilverBuick

Post by TheSilverBuick »

Isaac96 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:17 pm Usually IGBT's are rated for at least 150 Celsius, but losses increase at higher temps.
Johannes' firmware derates at 85 Celsius, so we could call that a good point -- there are lots of PCBs inside the inverter which might not like the high temperatures. Also water coolant might boil if temp goes too high.

-Isaac
Thank you!
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Also note this is a die temp sensor NOT heatsink temp. Toyota have some excellent thermal coupling between the device and heatsink.

oh and for the people getting wound up about cooling the bmw phev batteries, might be worth checking in with the actual batteries themselves after a drive. Seems no one told them they are supposed to overheat.... :roll:
I'm going to need a hacksaw
Isaac96

Post by Isaac96 »

Jack Bauer wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:11 pm Also note this is a die temp sensor NOT heatsink temp. Toyota have some excellent thermal coupling between the device and heatsink.

oh and for the people getting wound up about cooling the bmw phev batteries, might be worth checking in with the actual batteries themselves after a drive. Seems no one told them they are supposed to overheat.... :roll:
Die temp sensors. Well done Toyota. Volt inverter has similar sensors, would help to diagnose dried out thermal compound.

It seems like the LG Chem cells stay nice and cool. I haven't yet checked my Pacifica cells but I wager they're fine.

-Isaac
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

Jack Bauer wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:11 pm Also note this is a die temp sensor NOT heatsink temp. Toyota have some excellent thermal coupling between the device and heatsink.

Sounds like good stuff.

Man, now I'm wondering if I went wrong with the Pacifica batteries...
sprocketman

Post by sprocketman »

Hi,

I have driven the 330e in standard factory settings and the range in winter is much worse. That leads me to think that BMW add a lot of heat in winter to stop the batteries from getting too cold. I dont think temperature is an issue in the summer in the UK.

Also when the battery gets low I have noticed power is reduced to the motor in EV only mode.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

E39 hits the motorway!

clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Great progress!
Question: what's going on with the die temp at 12'42"? :o
SciroccoEV

Post by SciroccoEV »

clanger9 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:34 pm Great progress!
Question: what's going on with the die temp at 12'42"? :o
What do you think's going on? Damien doesn't mention it.
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

It only happens when he lets off the throttle. He says there's no regen enabled. Induction motor, so presumably no back EMF weirdness.
Parasitic shoot-through? I have no idea.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

I have no idea either:) and that's what keeps me going after 11 years of this crap. Welcome to R&D ;)
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

It's all part of the fun! :D
Would like to see a 'scope trace on one of the IGBT legs while decelerating. Hopefully no scary current spikes...
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Yeah me too!............waits patiently ............
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

This piece of truck driveshaft tube will make an excellent "back box" for the E39 :)
Attachments
20200725_113037.jpg
20200725_113041.jpg
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Jack Bauer wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:42 pm This piece of truck driveshaft tube will make an excellent "back box" for the E39 :)
I thought that was a piece of timber :D
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Well, long time no update. Spent the past few days fabricating a new chademo "back box" for the E39. Will be fitting the new ISA based chademo controller and doing some fast charging.
Attachments
2020-10-10 15.03.34.jpg
2020-10-10 15.01.38.jpg
2020-10-10 15.01.16.jpg
2020-10-10 15.00.51.jpg
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

As a general update the Prius inverter / Siemens motor combo has been running flawlessly. Only issue has been replacing the lower steering column due to a siezed universal joint. Gotta love these maintenance free electric cars.
Attachments
2020-10-07 10.29.52.jpg
TheSilverBuick

Post by TheSilverBuick »

That's awesome.
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

Are you running mg1 as the ac charger now aswell or is Elon still living inside?
https://bratindustries.net/ leaf motor couplers, adapter plates, custom drive train components
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Still using Elon at the minute. So many projects, so little Damien:)
jason_arnold

Post by jason_arnold »

Jack Bauer wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:09 pm Params attached. Very early stage of tuning.
Damien, if the parameters file you posted back in June has been serving you well, I'd like to post it to the newly-christened OI parameters database - with your blessing, of course :)
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Sure. Not changed anything since as far as I remember. Car just drives.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

So there I was today. Not a happy camper at all. For some reason the Prius inverter would not let me accelerate very much despite my having the throttle pedal mashed into the floor. Generating lots of desat trips as well. Then I get where I'm going and light of the gen2 tesla charger for some nice 10kw 3 phase action with the new Johannes control software. Started off well but wasn't long until power started dropping off despite being nowhere near charged. Followed that with another frustrating drive home during which the dcdc converter in the prius inverter started dropping out and another slow charge session. Setup the laptop to view the charger info and was furiously texting Johannes when I noticed all 3 charger modules were at 92C.

So I popped the bonnet and all the cooling hoses were cold. Must be Johannes not reading the can info I surmised and had the phone in my hand for another message when I noticed the coolant pump making a weird sound. the sort of sound it makes when running dry. Opened the coolant bottle annnddd........its dry!!!!!!!

Just as I refilled it Johannes called and the temp dropped right down and the power ramped back up.

Lessons learned today :

1)It's always my fault.
2)You can drive a 2 ton E39 on the motroway at 60mph with no coolant in a Gen3 prius inverter and the Toyota engineers protect the transistors.
2)Tesla gen 2 chargers thermal limit at 92C.
4)The Siemens motor is very tough.
5) See item 1.
Attachments
2021-01-12 12.19.54.jpg