Chademo Leaf PDM & Zombieverter!

catphish

Re: Chademo Leaf PDM & Zombieverter!

Post by catphish »

Attached is firmware 1.11.Z. This is a test build I've just compiled from the latest firmware from Github, including the fix for Chademo CAN3 speed selection (revision f48649c59c53d06d599ab573bd4f80f742622df3), and with my fix for the leaf v2 PDM included.
Attachments
stm32-vcu.zip
(75.82 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
VWJoe

Post by VWJoe »

catphish wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:35 pm Attached is firmware 1.11.Z. This is a test build I've just compiled from the latest firmware from Github, including the fix for Chademo CAN3 speed selection (revision f48649c59c53d06d599ab573bd4f80f742622df3), and with my fix for the leaf v2 PDM included.
Thanks, I will give it a go soon.
EvSteeve

Post by EvSteeve »

So following on from catphish Posts, we have had a chance to test the CHAdeMO.

I Can confirm that CAN now works! :D I have attached some supporting images.

However no current flow. We have established that the CHAdeMO Contactors are not closing. Within the pdm - (Picture attached from Johannes YouTube video on the pdm) ( We haven't pull ours out the vehicle yet to open it up) however it seems that p2&10 go to a logic board. Assuming this is controlled via can to close the contactors, has anyone got a can log from a leaf during CHAdeMO to try decipher what the required messages may be for the board?

Regards, all!
Attachments
pdm open.jpg
chademo.jpg
SpotValues during Chademo.jpg
johnlr

Post by johnlr »

As least for gen 3 PDM the quick charge relays are connected as follows:
Edited after a closer look at the logic board, and further edited after releasing i have a gen 3 PDM (from 2019 110kW leaf)
PDM connector pins:
5 relay plus&minus 0V also connects to PDM case
8 relay minus +12V
24 relay plus +12V
This differs from a PDM connector diagram I found somewhere that does not list pin 5 (that is just another gnd pin). To drive the relays connect pin 5 to 12V and drive pins 8 and 24 to +12V, the relays are 19ohms (measured) so will likely need an economiser unless there is one inside the contactor.

The voltage sensor on the logic board is a simple level detect circuit with a switch to turn on the resistor chain. The voltage sensor uses PDM pins 2, 3, 4 these connect to the logic board. The voltage sensor has two optos one switches the high voltage resistor chain, the other opto is driven by the high voltage resistor chain, this drives the sensor output via a non simple circuit, maybe it is some sort of successive approximation circuit.
I don't know how the sensor functions yet. The resistor chain appears not to be constantly rated (8.7W at 500V) dissapates 2.2W at 500V which is why there is a switch to turn it on during voltage sensing.
At least for gen 3 PDM the quick charge relays and voltage sensor are controlled directly from the PDM connector pins and not by the PDM via can.
johnlr

Post by johnlr »

I have had a good look at the gen 3 Chademo logic board (YEAP01D478Ac), attached is the circuit (possibly with some errors) Edit attached picture for reference
I have powered up the voltage sensor and it works as follows:
PDM connector
4 sensor gnd
2 sensor output, pullup to 12V or 5V if using an analogue input)
3 sensor supply, 5V

Connect 5V between pin 3 +ve and 4 -ve, note that powering the sensor from 12V will give 50mA to the opto which is quite high. The sensor work still works with 4V supply so I expect it designed to work with 5V. The sensor is a threshold detector.
Connect 1k pullup from pin 2 to 12V to (5V)
output 1.35V(0.62V) HV is > 180V
output 8.5V(3.5V) HV is < 180V
Note this was tested with a voltage across the 1k5 and 1k2 resistors (no high voltage supply), threshold is 2.65V which equates to about 180V across the full resistor chain.
Attachments
gen3_chademo_contactor_logic_board_picture.jpg
leaf_gen3_Chademo_contactor_logic_board.pdf
(5.32 MiB) Downloaded 82 times
PaulHeystee

Post by PaulHeystee »

EvSteeve wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:11 pm Thanks for your replies,

Paulheystee, that schematic, is it for a gen1 leaf? It doesn't seem to match up with the pdm wiring I Have for my gen 2.
Leaf Gen2
johnlr

Post by johnlr »

PaulHeystee wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:07 amLeaf Gen2
Its is gen 3, from a 2019 110kW Leaf (I assume that is gen 3), sorry for any confusion. Maybe gen 2 is the same, I have a PDM from an eNV200 (don't know the year) maybe that is gen 2, if so I will open it and have a look.
PaulHeystee

Post by PaulHeystee »

johnlr wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:56 pm Its is gen 3, from a 2019 110kW Leaf (I assume that is gen 3), sorry for any confusion. Maybe gen 2 is the same, I have a PDM from an eNV200 (don't know the year) maybe that is gen 2, if so I will open it and have a look.
Hi,
From what I know the Gen2 PDM is capable of doing the Chademo communication, where the Gen3 PDM does no longer do. I think they moved this to the VCU instead.
I use the Gen2 setup with the Resolve EV controller and the Chedemo works without any problem. The Chademo is connected only to the PDM and I don't know if the PDM takes care of everything or partly also the VCU. I need to check if the Gen2 and Chademo works without the VCU, however, this may be quite a feat to carry the setup in a trailer to a Chademo charger :-)

At one point I want to have a storage setup with a Leaf battery and a stand alone PDM for charging.
EvSteeve

Post by EvSteeve »

In our setup (gen 2) we are not relying on the pdm for any communication due to the zombieverter taking charge of this, so could we bypass that logicboard and wire direct to the contactor relay coils?
VWJoe

Post by VWJoe »

EvSteeve wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:55 pm In our setup (gen 2) we are not relying on the pdm for any communication due to the zombieverter taking charge of this, so could we bypass that logicboard and wire direct to the contactor relay coils?
Are these Pin 8 (Violet) Quick Charger Relay +ve and Pin 24 (Sky Blue) Quick Charge Relay -ve? On the 2018 models, these are controlled by the VCM in relation to the Chademo charging.

Not sure if it is as simple as putting 12 volts across them. Diagram attached, Page 2, 5, and 13.
Attachments
EV Control System.pdf
(375.84 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
johnlr

Post by johnlr »

EvSteeve wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:55 pm In our setup (gen 2) we are not relying on the pdm for any communication due to the zombieverter taking charge of this, so could we bypass that logicboard and wire direct to the contactor relay coils?
You could bypass the logic board and wire directly to the contactors, or possibly make a cable from the logic board connector (looks like TE 1744426-8 for gen 2) and pass it out of the plugged hole in the case. That way you could also use the voltage sensor to implement contactor weld test and detect charger supply voltage before closing the contactors.

I have a gen 2 PDM with the lid off, I will produce a schematic of the logic board as I did for gen 3.
johnlr

Post by johnlr »

VWJoe wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:13 pm Are these Pin 8 (Violet) Quick Charger Relay +ve and Pin 24 (Sky Blue) Quick Charge Relay -ve? On the 2018 models, these are controlled by the VCM in relation to the Chademo charging.

Not sure if it is as simple as putting 12 volts across them. Diagram attached, Page 2, 5, and 13.
Yes for 2018 models (gen 3) (that have connector no. F23 page 13), you can connect PDM pins 8 and 24 to 12V to control the quick charge contactors directly. Also you can use the voltage detector PDM pins 2, 3, 4 to implement contactor weld test and detect charger supply voltage present before closing the contactors.
EvSteeve

Post by EvSteeve »

SUCSESS!!!

We have CHAdeMO Charging! 8-)

So we bypassed the logic board within the PDM (Gen 2) tried it at our local charging station and it charged!

So now on to the next challenge, As it is, the way the CHAdeMO is integrated means that only AC OR CHAdeMO charging will work at one time. It requires a change of setting for the alternate method to be used. For both to work we need the Zombie to essentially have two charge modes at once, so it can look for the Digi input for the CHAdeMO and also the Can signal for AC...
Also at present SOC for the CHAdeMO is a manual setting, this needs to be taking data from the shunt in order to be accurate.
Any suggestions on what can be done for this? I'm not at all savvy when it comes to code but we are willing to trial new firmware versions etc now we have CHAdeMO successfully working.
Attachments
IMG-20230413-WA0001.jpg
20230413_145528.jpg
20230111_092345.jpg
chademo screen.jpg
EvSteeve

Post by EvSteeve »

hi guys,

Following the (very exciting) release of V2.00 firmware - Thankyou Damien and anyone else involved.

We have successfully charged using AC however we failed to successfully charge using CHAdeMO..

Should '42 - interface' not be an option as apposed to the bullet points currently shown? - please see my attachment for reference!

Probably helpful to add the car still drives as before without any issues.

Thanks again for these developments guys!
Attachments
2.jpg
EvSteeve

Post by EvSteeve »

Further from my post yesterday I have also noticed after going in to run or charge mode, UDC remains at pack voltage. see attachment
Attachments
3.jpg
royhen99

Post by royhen99 »

EvSteeve wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 1:02 pm Should '42 - interface' not be an option as apposed to the bullet points currently shown? - please see my attachment for reference!
It's because the valid number of interfaces has changed from 0-3 to 0-2. If you had Leaf_PDM selected it is now invalid ( it is now selected by chargemodes ). To fix type "set interface 2" in the command line ( Send Custom Command ), this will select Chademo.
EvSteeve

Post by EvSteeve »

Hi guys, Has anyone tested CHAdeMO with 2.00??

We took our car to the local fast charger this morning to test, following testing driving and AC which were both successful

However we failed to get the car to charge on CHAdeMO..
I have attached our settings for reference.

It seems as though the VCU isn't picking up the 12v from the charge station to send it into fast charge mode, and therefore start sending the can messages required to start charging
Attachments
2.00 charge control parameters.jpg
EvSteeve

Post by EvSteeve »

hi guys,

also having an issue with GP2, I am using it to switch a coil on a relay to control our pump during charging and also our bms wake signal, it doesn't enable reliably every time and when it does it doesn't then cut off when the charge cable is then removed keeping the VCU in charge mode.
Anyone else had this issue using a general purpose output?

I have tried both the 'coolant pump' and 'obc' on the drop down for this setting.
I have also tried this without it connected to the relay, testing with a meter for reference.
catphish

Post by catphish »

EvSteeve wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:32 am it doesn't then cut off when the charge cable is then removed keeping the VCU in charge mode.
Do you mean the VCU is staying in charge mode when you disconnect the charge cable from the PDM? If so, I assume this is unrelated to your use of the GP2 output pin. Does it get stuck in charge mode even when the GP2 pin isn't configured at all? If so that's a more complicated problem than just the GP2 output pin. Is this problem new in V2.0.0 and okay in the previous release?

Am I right in saying you have 3 independent problems here:
1) Chademo doesn't work
2) GP2 sometimes switches on when entering charge mode but sometimes doesn't
3) When disconnecting from AC charge, the VCU remains in charge mode

Or am I misunderstanding anything?

NOTE: version 2.0.1 (with BMS support) is not released. Please ensure you test with the official version 2.0.0 when reporting any bugs, unless something specifically only breaks in 2.0.1 in which case I will look into it personally.
EvSteeve

Post by EvSteeve »

Thankyou for the reply,

Yes the Vcu stays in charge mode when cable is disconnected from the PDM. Also stays stuck in charge mode without gp2 configured.
However, when gp2 is configured and supplying Bms with wake signal (via a relay) when the charge cable is removed, and then the gp2 removed from the relay it then opens the contactors and exits charge mode, so there is a link there somewhere.. we are currently investigating the wiring thoroughly to ensure there is no faults that side.

Yes you are correct in saying the problem has occurred since flashing the VCU with 2.00. on previous versions we did not experience this fault.

So yes the 3 separate faults have you have pointed out.

Hope this is clearer.
EvSteeve

Post by EvSteeve »

Also probably good to note. We have tested gp2 completely disconnected by continuity to gnd, and found the same results as testing connected to the relay.
joeflickers

Post by joeflickers »

[media][/media]
EvSteeve wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:21 am Regarding CHAdeMO with the leaf pdm, Using Damien's video guide we wired up the zombie and the pdm accordingly, however we have come across some issues, The zombie side seems to be working, as when 12v is applied at p2 of the CHAdeMO plug, the zombie precharges and closes our systems contactors, and also activates 'GP out 3' grounding p4 at the CHAdeMO plug and goes into 'Charge' mode on the interface. However we do not seem to be getting any can messages at this point, Should the Can be initiated by the zombie or the CHAdeMO charger? Also, using a bench power supply we simulated plugging in CHAdeMO plug in (applied 12v to pin 2 and gnd to p10) and found that we have no voltage at p6 & p5, suggesting the CHAdeMO contactors in the pdm aren't closing.

Will keep investigating and post progress as and when we have any!

As for AC charging we have our system working fine, What issues are you experiencing? Is your zombie recognising the plug is being inserted? Damien has a very good guide on the wiki about ac charging using the leaf pdm & Zombie, perhaps worth checking out if you haven't already.
Hi.. I'm currently trying to get the ac charging to working using the zombie vcu with no luck..are the leaf's pdm CAN-Bus wires (blue and green) used or the green and white twisted wires?
My hv battery is a 96s leaf modules with an Orion bms
joeflickers

Post by joeflickers »

VWJoe wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:34 pm As for AC charging we have our system working fine, What issues are you experiencing? Is your zombie recognising the plug is being inserted? Damien has a very good guide on the wiki about ac charging using the leaf pdm & Zombie, perhaps worth checking out if you haven't already.
Hi,
On version 1.08A all is working fine, Using Ext_Digi to start the charging. Main contactors shut and relay in the PDM makes and AC charging commences. (I'm using Ext_Digi to start charging as I have found the auto method upset the next T15/ Starter starting process).

Uploaded 1.11A and without changing any settings and running the same process, the main contactors shut, but the PDM relay does not make, so charing does not start. Opmode reads Charging and Chgtyp reads AC.
[/quote]

hi,im strugling to get the AC charging to work with zombie vcu running v2.00 firmware and 3.6kw leaf charger,the the j1772 socket is recognised and the DC-DC kicks in ging 14volts to the battery but i get no charging,im using an 96s leaf battery pack with an orion bms
m.art.y

Post by m.art.y »

I too can confirm that in 1.11A (not tested the 2.0 yet) the AC charging does not work. Does not matter if EXT_DIGI or EXT_CAN or any other trigger method is selected the Zombie precharges, closes main contactor and enters into AC charging mode but does not pull in the relay in EVSE cable and does not turn on the relay in the PDM - therefore no charging. Changing any of the settings does not help. Seems to be a software issue as when reverting to the older version AC charging works perfectly.
joeflickers

Post by joeflickers »

VWJoe wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:08 am Thanks for this, I have not managed to encode the files into a .bin yet. Need to spend a bit more time on it which is lacking at the moment.
which kind of leaf pdm doyou have? i have a 3.6kw leaf pdm from gen 2,still having a proplem getting the AC-charging working