E46 conversion - fault codes

FFMan

E46 conversion - fault codes

Post by FFMan »

So i'm working on converting an E46 touring. I've removed the diesel engine and of course it throws about 3 pages of fault codes when powered up. I've reattached some of the sensors etc but this hasn't helped much.

So long as the ABS and airbags work, will the mot tester care, it's not like its going to fail emissions.

Assuming he does care, what is the approach to getting it to a point where engine light is not on and ideally the speedo still works.

I expect there are a few e46 conversions around, so interested in how others tackled this issue.

thanks
E46 touring
Phev rear motor, OEM inverter cabin heater and charger
BMW 9kwh & 12kwh packs
tom91

Re: E46 conversion - fault codes

Post by tom91 »

The issues is, MOT testers will not plug in to diagnose fault codes. A RED MIL light is an immediate fail in their check list.

You need to most likely play it back Can Bus messages, I believe a few on here have gotten their Dashboards to work and some of the gauges to actually function.
Founder Volt Influx https://www.voltinflux.com/
FFMan

Post by FFMan »

thanks - yes i think i can get the dash working, the MIL light is the main issue.

My mot tester is friendly, i'll ask him, he might pass it because he knows me and is sensible, and i could plug in the reader and show him nothing vital is broken, but i can't rely on that approach going forward. I could try and dummy some of the values from the sensor loom as it's things like fuel pressure, vacuum and can't see cooling fan etc.
E46 touring
BMW 9kwh & 12kwh packs
arber333

Post by arber333 »

There are some things to consider with pre 2010 cars.
First you need to keep ECUs and engine wires intact.
Second you find a manual for ECU so you will know the resistance of sensors and other values. There are oddities with each car. My pug has coolant dry protection and i had to replace temp sensor with correct resistor for VCU to stay happy.
Third you need to find the "engine running" wire which is a single (usually red) wire from alternator feedback. With old Bosch VCUs this will show 12v with more than 600rpm.
And other...
Bigpie

Post by Bigpie »

My MOT tester said a red engine management light wouldn't be a fail, as theres no engine or possible emissions. Still, worth clearing up though incase it's just how he does it?
VW Beetle 2003
Outlander front generator
Prius Gen 3 inverter (EVBMW logic board)
Outlander charger
3x Golf GTE batteries
Chademo Charging
Outlander water heater
Domt177

Post by Domt177 »

Which VCU are you using? my e46 touring with Zombieverter hooked up to the original ECU CAN lines has no red lights on the dash when driving (apart from an unrelated airbag light)
FFMan

Post by FFMan »

I've gone with V1c board and Prius inverter and Outlander motor - so not zombie mode as such.

Interested as to how the VCU cancels errors from sensors such as no fuel pressure. Suggests there might be some canbus option for over-riding the fault?
E46 touring
BMW 9kwh & 12kwh packs
Domt177

Post by Domt177 »

As far as I'm aware it sends the same CAN messages the cluster wants to hear as if the original ECU was there. RPM also works
FFMan

Post by FFMan »

So VCU replaces entire ecu with all the connections etc ?
E46 touring
BMW 9kwh & 12kwh packs
Domt177

Post by Domt177 »

yes I no longer have the BMW ECU or ECU Box (probably should have left the ecu box in place in hindsight) only the ZombieVerter
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

Looking at the Can_E46.cpp file in the Zombieverter project shows the four important CAN ID's with explanations of how they work for the E46. Explains about oil temp, rpm, oil lights, etc. So worth having a look there. The same CAN info could be tested running off an arduino for example
GeneralScanner

Post by GeneralScanner »

8.2.1.2. Gaseous emissions

Engine malfunction indicator lamp (engine management light or ‘EML’)
Turn on the ignition and check that the engine malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) illuminates and then goes off. On some vehicles it will be necessary to start the engine before the MIL goes off.

You need to inspect MIL fitted to:

petrol vehicles including hybrids with 4 or more wheels, not more than 8 passenger seats in addition to the driver’s seat and first used on or after 1 July 2003
petrol vehicles including hybrids with 4 or more wheels, more than 8 passenger seats in addition to the driver’s seat and first used on or after 1 July 2008
gas and bi-fuel vehicles including hybrids with 4 or more wheels, not more than 8 passenger seats in addition to the driver’s seat and first used on or after 1 July 2008
Kit cars, amateur built vehicles and American pickups are not required to be fitted with an engine MIL.
GeneralScanner

Post by GeneralScanner »

Extract from current mot testing manual.....