'Another' Porsche Boxster/Tesla EV conversion

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
canadasconvert

'Another' Porsche Boxster/Tesla EV conversion

Post by canadasconvert »

Hi everyone. It's taken just under 2 years but I have completed the installation of a Tesla LDU into an 02 Porsche Boxster. The attached PDF takes you step by step through the teardown, experimentation/testing and final build. Be sure to watch the YouTube video at the end of the PDF. Enjoy.
Attachments
Another Boxster Tesla EV Conversion.pdf
(2.16 MiB) Downloaded 155 times
johu
Site Admin

Re: 'Another' Porsche Boxster/Tesla EV conversion

Post by johu »

Nice, thanks for sharing! Would make a nice wiki page.

Your handling of the batteries made me cringe. You discharged some cells during lower voltage tests and then didn't balance with the rest (unless you didn't mention it). Then took them down dangerously low and charged them super high without BMS surveillance. So some cells were surely above the maximum of 4.2V and below the minimum of 2.5V. These will have capacity loss.

Otherwise brilliant, well documented build
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
canadasconvert

Post by canadasconvert »

Yes Johnu, you are correct. I learned the hard way how NOT to test and operate batteries. I am making necessary modifications this winter to ensure everything is balanced before operating again with a new BMS.
canadasconvert

Post by canadasconvert »

After a years hiatus from posting, I have a couple of new updates. The first is that the car is running well on a 300V-76 cell KIA SoulEV battery pack. It was originally a 400V-96 cell pack, but through some ignorant stupidity, I damaged two of the original four modules. The pack is controlled by an Orion2 BMS that works very well. So far, the only downside is the reduced range. I put the car to bed for the winter.

In late February as I was a getting ready for this years driving season, I noticed the motor was quite a bit noisier than when I put it to bed. Using a stethoscope, I found the most noise coming from the motor barrel. I did not find any concerning noises coming from the gearbox. I drained the oil and didn't find any coolant in the oil as it was also still red & clear. When I removed the motor cooling pipe end cap, I found the encoder wheel and surrounding area wet and rusty. There is a slight score on the rotor shaft pipe. Since this is a well documented problem with these motors, I know what the next steps are. For rotor removal, can you remove the motor rotor from the stator without disassembling the gearbox? I was thinking of lifting the entire unit vertically with the motor on the bottom and gently "dropping" the rotor out of the assembly. I have seen previous posts that "dropping" the rotor has been done. Any downside to trying this?
Encoder Wheel
Encoder Wheel
Cooling Shaft
Cooling Shaft