Help me communicate with Azure Dynamics DMOC445 or I sell it

sigdigits

Help me communicate with Azure Dynamics DMOC445 or I sell it

Post by sigdigits »

I’m having issues trying to program/view settings on my AD DMOC445...
I’m able to connect to the serial connection and get “data” but it’s basically gibberish. I’m connecting at 115200 8 bits no parity, but I get similar (non) results no matter what bus speed I set. I get all backwards question marks at 115200, all 4’s at 9600, and a mixture of slashes dashes and squares at other speeds. I’m aware there’s supposed to be a small info dump at startup, but as I said, I get no readable characters on the serial monitor no matter the settings.
I have the ccshell program working, but it’s not recognizing the serial connection. I’m guessing it’s related, but I’m at a loss. I’ve tried multiple serial converters with all the same results. I could set up a variac with a rectifier, to try and see where the high and low voltage cutoff are, but I’m leaning on selling the motor/controller if I can’t change or see any settings
Pete9008

Re: Help me communicate with Azure Dynamics DMOC445 or I sell it

Post by Pete9008 »

If you have a scope put it on the lines and have a look at the bit period to work out the baud rate and look at the number of bits to work out stop bits and parity.

Other wise it is a case of trying all the combinations until you see data. May be using parity or multiple stop bits or even a different number of data bits (unlikely).

Are you sure it ASCII data (human readable) and not some kind of binary protocol?

Edit - just found a manual (http://www.evdl.org/docs/azure_dmoc_445-645_manual.pdf and on page 48 is says this:
RS-232 Communication Errors - Check the obvious like the cable, connectors, pins, etc. on both ends. Azure Dynamics also suggests an RS-232 isolator. We recommend the B&B Electronics Model 9POP4, 4-channel isolator for RS-232.
Could it be a ground loop or noise problem on the comms lines?
sigdigits

Post by sigdigits »

Noise might be a possibility, I’ll scope the signal and see what happens. I’ve already checked the obvious and, yes, human readable ASCII displayed in the serial monitor is expected. There should be a small data dump with program info upon startup, as well. 115200 baud 8 bit no parity or stop bit

I saw that “suggested” converter, but it was several hundred dollars if I remember. I’m still hoping there’s someone out there with hands on experience with these controllers. It’s definitely spitting out data, but I have no idea what parameters are set to. I’m also unable to change anything to match my batteries voltage if it is not the same.

I may have to use a variac and a rectifier to see if I can measure the high/low voltage cutoff of the controller. Even then, I’m going to have to get lucky that it will be within the range of my battery pack voltage.
sigdigits

Post by sigdigits »

I found as isolator on eBay for $30, so fingers crossed!!
evolver1566

Post by evolver1566 »

Are you using the GEVCU or Openinverter board with the controller?
sigdigits

Post by sigdigits »

evolver1566 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:19 pm Are you using the GEVCU or Openinverter board with the controller?
Neither, I'm using the OEM components. There's been a handful of people that have posted about using them, so I'm hoping someone with intimate knowledge of them could set me straight.
sigdigits

Post by sigdigits »

Pete9008 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:43 pm If you have a scope put it on the lines and have a look at the bit period to work out the baud rate and look at the number of bits to work out stop bits and parity.

Other wise it is a case of trying all the combinations until you see data. May be using parity or multiple stop bits or even a different number of data bits (unlikely).

Are you sure it ASCII data (human readable) and not some kind of binary protocol?

Edit - just found a manual (http://www.evdl.org/docs/azure_dmoc_445-645_manual.pdf and on page 48 is says this:

Could it be a ground loop or noise problem on the comms lines?

I've had no luck again... I got the B&B 9POP4 RS-232 isolator, however I had the wrong size (3.5mm instead of 2.5mm) plug to power it and I couldn't use it.

I WAS, however, able to put a scope on the comm lines and they're not noisy at all and have great signal level... (could the voltage level be too high and throwing off the data?)

I'm using an arduino(FTDI) ttl-usb so maybe I should try another serial-usb solution, but I don't think that's the issue since it seems to work with other devices.

I think I'm about one MAYBE two attempts until I throw in the towel and sell it
Pete9008

Post by Pete9008 »

It sounds like it is using full RS232 levels (+-12v) rather than TTL (0-3v3/5v) your usb adaptor is probably using.

The two sets of levels are not compatible, in addition to the voltage difference TTL is active low while full RS232 is active high so without a converter the two will never talk to each other.

What voltages did you measure on the scope?

It should also be possible to measure the baud rate from the scope, do you have a capture or a picture of the trace?

If you see any voltage above 5v or below 0v then you need a proper RS232 level converter (the TTL ones are only any good for connecting directly to low voltage microprocessor pins).

Edit - if you have an old PC or laptop with a 9-pin serial port on it then that will already be full RS232 and should directly connect (a laptop is better because if powered from batteries it is already isolated).
sigdigits

Post by sigdigits »

I would prefer an old laptop at this point, lol. I’m seriously considering looking for one. I’m also thinking you may be right about the voltage levels. I don’t remember what the voltage on the scope was, but I’m pretty sure it was over 5v
Pete9008

Post by Pete9008 »

I'm fairly sure it will be full rs232 levels on this so you either need a USB dongle with a 9-pin D-type connector or a PC/laptop with one.

Worth checking the back of any desktop PCs you have access to, even some relatively recent ones still have a rs232 port. A USB dongle should work if the software is reasonably modern, anything very old (DOS or really early Windows) can sometimes struggle to use the dongles though.

Edit - alternatively something like this https://thepihut.com/products/rs232-board should convert your existing TTL dongle levels to full RS232 levels.

Edit2 - that is of course assuming that the full RS232 levels haven't killed your existing dongle (hopefully unlikely but possible)! Might be worth checking it's still working first if going this route!
SciroccoEV

Post by SciroccoEV »

Might be worth contacting Wolf in the US.

https://www.wolftronix.com/motorControllers.htm
sigdigits

Post by sigdigits »

SciroccoEV wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:59 am Might be worth contacting Wolf in the US.

https://www.wolftronix.com/motorControllers.htm
Been there done that... no response
I believe I’ve tried two separate occasions
Has anyone had luck hearing from them?
sigdigits

Post by sigdigits »

I decided to try emailing wolftronix again after another failed attempt to communicate. Since I’m getting the same “target not found” error, I think ccshell doesn’t like the arduino in the mix.
Luckily, I got a reply from Wolf and ordered a couple recommended rs232 to USB adapters
I also noticed that in his videos, he makes sure to keep the adapter on com 1 because that’s how ccshell likes it. I’m going to do that as well.

I also downloaded the older version 2 of ccshell to try if all else fails

Full disclosure, my latest failure was using the max2232 chip that’s on my zombieverter board going to an arduino for usb serial
sigdigits

Post by sigdigits »

Going to sell I’ll try to link to the classified section
thomasrwakefield

Post by thomasrwakefield »

sigdigits wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:03 am Neither, I'm using the OEM components. There's been a handful of people that have posted about using them, so I'm hoping someone with intimate knowledge of them could set me straight.
I've communicated with my DMOC445. Right up to the point when i couldn't. :cry:
Steps...
1. I open the software used to communicate
2. plug in the serial to usb adapter i bought off amazon (Nothing special) Mine had the harness that had the seriel plug already wired onto it.
3.In the software click open and select this file. https://1drv.ms/f/s!Am0qA7liMkYGzNNB_bs ... g?e=tTOOD3

Here's a quick short i posted on youtube of me talking with it ill have to do a video showing the whole process. https://youtube.com/shorts/oA-vNoHqcao? ... kANeXQ9Ibs
bigmotherwhale

Post by bigmotherwhale »

RS232 gives inverted signals compared with TTL
You can grab a couple of transistors and resistors create a transmit and receive inverting amplifier and connect it to the USB TTL and it will probably work just fine.
I had exactly the same with my lebowski controller with the gibberish you describe on serial output before i realised the cheap dongle i bought from ali was TTL not RS232
circuit here but there are many similar online you can build https://kswichit.net/ap275/ap275.htm