Tesla HV Fuse Box Cable Questions  [SOLVED]

Topics concerning the Tesla front and rear drive unit drop-in board
nubster

Tesla HV Fuse Box Cable Questions

Post by nubster »

I recently purchased a Tesla HV cable w/integrated fuse for an EV conversion project. Now that I have it in hand, I have a few questions about it:

1. Somehow I didn't notice that the fuse is located on the Negative (Black) side of the cable (what's up with that exactly?). Should I also add an equivalent fuse to the Positive (Red) cable just before the main contactor as well?
2. The fuse box has what looks like a small data cable going to it. What is this for and do I need to hook it up to the inverter or some other circuit somehow? I'm struggling to find info on this.
3. Where can I find more information about this fused cable and is there anything else that I should know about it (i.e. pros/cons, etc)?

Much appreciated and Happy New Year!

mjc506

Re: Tesla HV Fuse Box Cable Questions  [SOLVED]

Post by mjc506 »

That 'data cable' looks like a microswitch, perhaps a 'fuse cover opened' interlock?
nubster

Re: Tesla HV Fuse Box Cable Questions

Post by nubster »

mjc506 wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:45 pm That 'data cable' looks like a microswitch, perhaps a 'fuse cover opened' interlock?
Yeah, I think you're right. I've been digging and at this point am 99% it's part of the HVIL loop. Thanks!