Tesla SDU on Engine Stand?  [SOLVED]

Topics concerning the Tesla front and rear drive unit drop-in board
nubster

Tesla SDU on Engine Stand?

Post by nubster »

Stupid question :)

Generally speaking, is it safe to mount a Tesla SDU on a traditional engine stand?

I have a 1/2-ton HF stand from an ICE build I did a few years back and I want to mount a Tesla SDU to it, make a bottom tray for some batteries, and add a panel for all the components (i.e. pre-charge circuit, wiring, buttons, etc) so I can get it all up & running on the stand before I even touch the recipient vehicle.

Seemed like a no-brainer at first, but I was only able to get 3 of the 4 mounting bolts to fit. With that said, it seems super solid even with only 3 bolts in, and doesn't really flex or swing at all. So I think I'm probably good to go.

However, I had a bad dream last night: went out to the garage and found the casing had broken in half and the rest of the motor was on the ground. Needless to say, I woke up sweating and had to go check on it. Now I'm paranoid. Lol. So yeah, I figured I'd make a post about it just to be safe.

You can see in the pics I got 3 of the 4 bolts in really well. The 4th is technically close enough that could weld a thick washer to the engine stand plate, but it actually feels super solid as-is. Opinions? Am I being a big dummy?

serioussam

Re: Tesla SDU on Engine Stand?  [SOLVED]

Post by serioussam »

You have a safety factor of about 100x.

Using rough figures:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (7.33 KiB) Viewed 367 times
nubster

Re: Tesla SDU on Engine Stand?

Post by nubster »

serioussam wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:31 am You have a safety factor of about 100x.

Using rough figures:
Untitled.png
Wow. That's like 100x the legitness of a response I was expecting. Thanks, I will sleep better now!