Orion BMS - High Side Driver

Topics concerning OEM and open source BMSes
KimchiKimKim

Orion BMS - High Side Driver

Post by KimchiKimKim »

Hi,

The Orion BMS uses low-side switches as output for the BMS but the max output is 100ma (not enough to drive anything serious). I made a board that solves this problem. Probably could save money and skip caps but I used them since my BMS is super far away from my 12v battery (across the car) to prevent high startup currents from browning out the 12v rail.

These Infineon switches can handle up to 8a cont. with an input voltage of anything from 5.5-38v so should work great with a 24v LV setup as well. They have short circuit protection as well (its really fast ~650us from fault to shutdown)

It's tested and works on my EV but I don't want to take responsibility for anything that could go wrong.

I packed everything you need to make it below.

hope that this can help someone out there!
Attachments
IMG_5033.jpg
Gerber_PCB_VCU_Relay_2022-11-30.zip
(30.42 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
BOM_VCU_Relay_2022-11-30.csv
(668 Bytes) Downloaded 57 times
Screenshot_20221130_035102.png
tom91

Re: Orion BMS - High Side Driver

Post by tom91 »

Any resistors on the input to pull it to a steady state? Do not want any EMC noise or start up weirdness causing unwanted behaviour.
Founder Volt Influx https://www.voltinflux.com/
KimchiKimKim

Re: Orion BMS - High Side Driver

Post by KimchiKimKim »

tom91 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:56 am Any resistors on the input to pull it to a steady state? Do not want any EMC noise or start up weirdness causing unwanted behaviour.
Interesting point. When reading the datasheet of my switches they seem to take care of this internally. You're right it couldn't hurt to add this though but since it measures the current flowing through the input pin (to GND) I don't think noise can induce a large enough current to cause this to trigger - (Also AEC-Q100 cert. on the IC)

I don't want to make any claims that I am an expert though because I am certainly not! Please let me know if you disagree with anything stated.

Thank you for your input - I really do appreciate it!

Here is the datasheet:
https://datasheet.lcsc.com/lcsc/1811151 ... C95232.pdf