Post by Geeman »

Hi,
I am looking for Smart 451 ED3 Electric Drive parts for my project -
Vehicle wiring loom LHD or RHD
Charge inlet port 1Ph or 3Ph
3Ph 22kW charger and mounting parts
Any internal HV battery parts or a duff HV battery
SOC/Power gauges
If you have other ED3 parts that may be of interest - try me.
UK based.
George
Geeman

Re: WANTED-Smart 451 ED3 Electric Drive parts

Post by Geeman »

Bump
paaa

Post by paaa »

I would forget about to the smart as hard to get and seemingly a night mare of a system. I would just buy a Zoe as they are more available and better understood
Geeman

Post by Geeman »

Thanks for your input on this.
Yes,I take your point that the system is a bit of a challenge but it works well when it is ok. I've been working with it for ~ 18 months on and off.
It seems to be well understood in Germany and elsewhere in the EU but it is expensive for some parts and Powertrain/BMS ECU programming has been monitized therefore information is restricted, I am getting there little by little and learning as I go.
I just need more parts for spares and experimenting with, the main problem is there were only ~ 200 451 ED3s sold in the UK so not many parts in the s/h market, hence this parts request on the forum.
It is my understanding (I have not really looked into it) that the Smart 453 Electric Drive is based on the Zoe system, if possible I hope to build a Smart Roadster based two seater using it, there are lots of 453 EDs in the UK market.
Regards,
George
paaa

Post by paaa »

Geeman wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:30 am Thanks for your input on this.
Yes,I take your point that the system is a bit of a challenge but it works well when it is ok. I've been working with it for ~ 18 months on and off.
It seems to be well understood in Germany and elsewhere in the EU but it is expensive for some parts and Powertrain/BMS ECU programming has been monitized therefore information is restricted, I am getting there little by little and learning as I go.
I just need more parts for spares and experimenting with, the main problem is there were only ~ 200 451 ED3s sold in the UK so not many parts in the s/h market, hence this parts request on the forum.
It is my understanding (I have not really looked into it) that the Smart 453 Electric Drive is based on the Zoe system, if possible I hope to build a Smart Roadster based two seater using it, there are lots of 453 EDs in the UK market.
Regards,
George
Not 100% sure how similar but always though they both use continental drive train parts , Zoe uses it chameleon chargers and smarts use a 22kw brusa. My only sugestion is have a quick look on facebook for ev clinic , he did some repairs on the smarts and hadn't any nice words to say. I would just suggest moving to a reusable platform as it's hard to get one smart never mind two if you run into issue or need parts. But up to you of course and there seems to be others working on the Zoe drive train re-use.
Geeman

Post by Geeman »

Thanks for the link to EV Clinic, I don't do social media but I have found the You Tube channel /web pages associated with it. Some of the issues raised sound similar to the 451 ED3 issues which occur if you leave the car undriven without disconnecting the 12V battery.
I'm not sure what you mean by reuseable platform but I agree a more popular system have more parts available, I 'll stick with the Smart equipment for now.
I am in the middle of repairing a Brusa 22kW charger to replace the standard 3.6 kw Lear unit for my ED3 drivetrain but they are expensive to buy even when broken but the rapid charging possibility on a small battery is attractive.
Geeman

Post by Geeman »

Bump