Toyota's electric power steering motor

Introduction and miscellaneous that we haven't created categories for, yet
Dxtawise

Toyota's electric power steering motor

Post by Dxtawise »

Hey everyone. Would need some kind of help here.
I recently replaced the electric DC motor, attached to a Corolla steering column, and instead of throwing it away, I just thought, it would be helpful in my planned electric bicycle conversion.

The electric motor, is rated 25VDC, without any information about it's amperage capacity.
It has three thicker wires ( which I believe, are for the 25V input, colored, red, black, and white; while there are four tiny wires(red, blue, yellow, and black), which goes to the steering ECU.

Can someone pls point me to how I can at least, bench test this motor, without the aid of it's ECU?

Here is what I have done so far:
Jumped the black/white thicker wires of the motor, and applied a 48VDC power supply to it, without making any attempt to run.
Because it didn't ran, I thought, hey, maybe I could jumper the tiny black/blue/yellow wire connectors, to mimic the signal communication between the wires and ECU.

Thanks

I have tried several times, to see if I could run the motor, on a bench, without the steering ECU as was in the car.
Attachments
IMG_20221120_022159_586.jpg
IMG_20221120_022138_842.jpg
MattsAwesomeStuff

Re: Toyota's electric power steering motor

Post by MattsAwesomeStuff »

Dxtawise wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:49 amThe electric motor, is rated 25VDC, without any information about it's amperage capacity. It has three thicker wires ( which I believe, are for the 25V input,
Umm, I can't see that it would actually be 25v. I bet it's 12v, and tolerant of up to 25v.

And, you replaced the power steering on your Corolla, and this is discarded part? And you want to use a power steering motor to power an e-bike? What a journey.

This almost certainly will not work, and if it does you won't want it to.

But, bad ideas make great stories.

I guess find out if it's an AC or DC motor, or, I dunno, is it a servo?
Dxtawise

Post by Dxtawise »

Would recheck if it's a DC or AC motor then..
Are you saying, in theory, this motor from instance can't be used for such a project?
MattsAwesomeStuff

Post by MattsAwesomeStuff »

"Can't" is a strong word.

It's a poor choice of motors, especially considering all that would be available, even from free junk.

On a desert island with no other options, and unlimited amount of knowledge, yes, a motor can spin, that's what it does.
mjc506

Post by mjc506 »

Three thick wires, four thin wires? Sounds like a 3 phase motor with a resolver :)
Dxtawise

Post by Dxtawise »

mjc506 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:36 pm Three thick wires, four thin wires? Sounds like a 3 phase motor with a resolver :)
Thanks for your response. I think I'd let this slide away. I have got other 12-24VDC motors that I could use though. Was just asking if this particular one can be made to spin, without the steering ECU
mjc506

Post by mjc506 »

Given the (likely) low power of the motor, the easiest way of driving it would probably be a largeish RC brushless speed controller. Most of them run sensorless (no need for the resolver) which would probably be fine unless you need precise low speed control. If you want/need to use the resolver, and OpenInverter (plus power electronics) will drive it. But seems rather a lot of work!