Outlander PHEV charger need precharge resistor?

Mitsubishi hybrid drive unit hacking
Alibro

Outlander PHEV charger need precharge resistor?

Post by Alibro »

I'm finally wiring up my HV junction box and want to connect the charger through a separate contactor so that I can have the car charging without having it turned on.
Will I need a second precharge resistor for the charger?

I plan to use a 240V relay to disconnect 12V from the VCU so there is no possibility of driving off with the charger lead still plugged in.
I know this will only work so long as the mains is on but might be able to use a micro switch if it becomes an issue.

In the meantime I need to know if a precharge resistor is required for the PHEV charger. I think someone mentioned it was not required but I thought it prudent to get a second opinion.

Thanks guys
I need a bigger hammer!
arber333

Re: Outlander PHEV charger need precharge resistor?

Post by arber333 »

No precharge resistor is not required. OEM only has a fuse towards HV rails.
tom91

Post by tom91 »

There is a precharge in the main pack. So I would play it safe and use one. Any reason to not have HV going to the drive inverter, can you not just disable 12V to the drive train.
image.png
http://mmc-manuals.ru/manuals/outlander ... C00ENG.pdf
Founder Volt Influx https://www.voltinflux.com/
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

Thanks guys, really appreciate your input.
If Mitsubishi use a precharge resistor then maybe I should too, even if it's not absolutely necessary.
I guess there is no issue with having HV at the drive inverter while charging and similarly no issue with having HV at the charger when driving?
But I'll try to think of a way to use the main precharge resistor for the main contactors and the charging contactors. I know having separate contactors is not strictly necessary but I have the space and the contactors so may as well.
I need a bigger hammer!
tom91

Post by tom91 »

You need to power the charger when driving as it has the DCDC inside too. You want to keep the 12V topped up.

What motor/inverter are you pairing it with?

The Mitsubishi does not allow on canbus for inverters to work when requesting the charger to charge.
Founder Volt Influx https://www.voltinflux.com/
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

tom91 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:16 pm You need to power the charger when driving as it has the DCDC inside too. You want to keep the 12V topped up.

What motor/inverter are you pairing it with?

The Mitsubishi does not allow on canbus for inverters to work when requesting the charger to charge.
LOL, I'd forgotten about that. :lol:
I have a Gen1 Leaf inverter and motor.

I'll just ensure it is not possible to drive the car when the charger is working, maybe by using the 240V relay to break the 12V feed to the VCU but I'll figure out something.

One thing that concerns me is the cables to the charger are fairly light. They look to be around 3mm2 to 4mm2 so probably should be fused a bit lower than the 400A fuse currently feeding the contactors. I was thinking of using a solar type fuse holder and fuse it around 10A. Any thoughts on that?
I need a bigger hammer!