Hi am new here! Fiat 500 classic

Introduction and miscellaneous that we haven't created categories for, yet
DennisM

Hi am new here! Fiat 500 classic

Post by DennisM »

Hi am Dennis from the Netherlands and want to introduce myself and drop some questions while i am here :)

I am currently working on a fiat 500 classic restauration. This car was in the first place a project that would be powered with a 2003 Yamaha R1 engine with 160hp. But after I got my new daily driver a mustang Mach-e I changed my plans and want to go for full electric for the Fiat. But I want it also to be a fast car like it would be with the R1 engine. Or at least under 6 sec 0-60 so i can race my Mach-e ;) . Everything will be adapted to that ofcourse suspension, brakes, wheels etc.

I want to build it as light as possible. Battery 15 - 20kW 80 or 96cells, wheel size 195/55-13 allready have the minilights with 4x100pcd. I dont want to shift gears so no transmission. i am thinking leaf, outlander rear motor or tesla SDU. Ofcourse the Tesla will be the fastest solution but also the most expensive. Originally the car weighs 500Kg. And has a maximum allowed mass of 850Kg including driver and passenger.

I know it would be easy to reach that goal with a Tesla SDU and a openinverter board, but i hope somebody can tell me if it would be possible with a leaf or outlander motor powered by either a leaf inverter or a prius gen3 inverter controlled by a zobmie VCU.

Greetings Dennis
tom91

Re: Hi am new here! Fiat 500 classic

Post by tom91 »

You would need roughly 75kw peak to go sub 6 seconds.

This is all very do able. I have done a project with a classic mini running the Outlander Rear motor inverter and a bmw hybrid pack. Utilizing my developed VCU to control it all.

https://www.optoinnovation.co.uk/ https://www.instagram.com/optoinnovation/

They managed to get it down to 9 seconds, but spinning front tires and at i believe 70-80% max torque. So potentially it can be done in a fiat 500.

I would be a bit more worries about two things, one getting the car to go straight when putting that sort of power down, two getting it road legal in the Netherlands.
Founder Volt Influx https://www.voltinflux.com/
DennisM

Post by DennisM »

Hi Tom,

Is the rear motor inverter capable of fast of the line response? and how much kW can it deliver. i was thinking about prius gen3 inverter because it is a nice all in one package, but i read very different performance from this unit in combination with a outlander rear drive. some say it doesn't perform well but i would expect if i use damian's gen3 inverter logicboard it could go over 300Amps. That should be enough right? I couldn't find vcu's or logicboards for the outlander rear inverter do you know what i need for that?

worrying about coming of the line without wheelspin is not (yet) a problem, that can be fixed with a lighter foot ;). The MOT approval (RDW Keuring. in dutch) would be a challenging thing. and needs for tuning back the power when taking it in for inspection but it can be done from what i got as answer from them.
tom91

Post by tom91 »

My MCU for the outlander rear motor is available through this webstore, https://citini.com/shop/ . Depending on your battery you could even look at using the VCU if you use a compatible battery pack.

No idea if there is a ramping limit, not found one when tuning the Opto Innovation classic mini.

The motor is rated to 195Nm and product info suggests a max of 74Kw but seen numbers higher reported too.
Founder Volt Influx https://www.voltinflux.com/
Bigpie

Post by Bigpie »

A currently unreleased OI firmware fixes my cutouts with the gen 3 Prius inverter, though I use the front outlander motor and not the rear, the performance is pretty decent now. I've had 70kw from it and think you could get more from the rear motor once the fix to the cutouts makes it to a release. My front motor is rated at 60kw.
VW Beetle 2003
Outlander front generator
Prius Gen 3 inverter (EVBMW logic board)
Outlander charger
3x Golf GTE batteries
Chademo Charging
Outlander water heater
aot93

Post by aot93 »

I also run an outlander rear motor and inverter in a mini, and like Tom said the biggest issue is controlling the wheel spin and torque steer - Equal length shafts are a must!

There is open source controller if you are comfortable with getting into code and building boards.

Thread here:

viewtopic.php?t=2167
DennisM

Post by DennisM »

Thanks for these answers that helped me a lot. Torque steer won't be a issue with a Fiat 500. It is a rear engined car :)

I am comfortable with soldering pcb's and read schematics. Programming a board or uploading firmware won't be a problem, coding in the other hand is a bit more uncomfortable 😬. I can do basic arduino but that's it.
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

DennisM have you decided yet which motor to get?