I-Pace V2H

Jaguar / Landrover hardware hacking
eUKenGB

I-Pace V2H

Post by eUKenGB »

Seems to be some I-Pace knowledge here, so hoping for some info.

How easy/hard would it be to add V2H (Vehicle to Home) capability to the I-Pace, which of course does not come with that facility? I guess it really applies in general to any production EV, but I'm specifically thinking about the I-Pace.

Is it feasible to add such functionality to an existing production EV, or does it absolutely require ground up design to incorporate it?
Ken G i l l e t t

“You can’t have too many bikes"

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
johu
Site Admin

Re: I-Pace V2H

Post by johu »

The V2H systems that I know of:
- DC/AC inverter from 12V to 230V (Skoda Enyac and probably other MEB cars)
- via CHAdeMO, needs external inverter (Leaf)
- Bidirectional charger (Hyuandai)

The latter requires a special adapter that goes into the charge port and has a regular "wall outlet" on the other side.

Fitting a 12V inverter to an I-Pace would be the most straight forward but also the least efficient way to add V2H. Needs the car to be turned on and will probably be around 80-85% efficient as power is first converted from 400V to 12V and then back up again to 230V AC. Of course it's also somewhat limited in power output, maybe 1-1.5 kW.

All the other variants require messing with the HV system of the car.

Theoretically an external inverter could be connected via CCS but only the manufacturer knows whether the car keeps the charge port relays closed when current is going in the wrong direction.
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
eUKenGB

Post by eUKenGB »

Yes, I was thinking perhaps the DC port could be used, but how to keep it connected would be the issue. I believe it has been figured out how to do this on an ID.4. Was hoping someone might have studied this for the I-Pace.
Ken G i l l e t t

EV_Builder

Post by EV_Builder »

V2H is easyest with a solar grid inverter. A bunch of relais. And a connection wifi / API to said inverter. You need to be able to limit it's power generation.

I would think your normal granny charger could feed back to the grid if it isn't build to smart .(like knows flow of current).
Converting an Porsche Panamera
see http://www.wdrautomatisering.nl for bespoke BMS modules.
Paul_subi

Post by Paul_subi »

There is other option 1500W inverter HV DC to 240V from outlander phev, they where used as well in toyota and rivian with paralel connection 3 of those getting 4.5KW. There is a thread in mitsubishi section "outlander HV DC to AC converter/inverter" but I can't find any info on the forum or internet how to run it. Anyone?
eUKenGB

Post by eUKenGB »

I was thinking Damien might have some ideas for the I-Pace as he has been reverse engineering its systems (well, inverter anyway). Perhaps he might have an idea how the I-Pace could be tricked into opening its HV DC relays and be able to draw power out of the regular CCS DC connections?
Ken G i l l e t t