Chevy S10 AWD, Tesla LDU and Model 3 battery

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
retrEVnoc

Chevy S10 AWD, Tesla LDU and Model 3 battery

Post by retrEVnoc »

Finally getting around to making a build thread. I’ve been making slow, steady progress on this build for quite a while now. It continues to be a learning project for me as I didn’t have much automotive mech or any fab or electronics experience before this.

Let me know what questions you all have, other pics you’d like to see, or ideas/ suggestions. There are some design and build elements that I’m not too pleased with, but don’t have a better idea yet.
711C5BAC-2855-465A-847B-78EC44CAFCF2.jpeg
89F74BE8-DC85-415A-9E9C-7E5757C86BEE.jpeg
902635CE-C8EA-4C79-979C-1578A3C45FD7.jpeg
5AAF4F02-98CA-421F-9FBA-0647597AB424.jpeg
C15EE229-8F1E-431A-BE60-E1180A641B19.jpeg
77D38371-519B-4CE6-BA08-A81EC006C090.jpeg
1BB5A7C1-BEBB-458E-9A23-5F65611DDF8F.jpeg
75BAFBD4-A096-4E70-A73D-AF7B75BF26DB.jpeg
retrEVnoc

Re: Chevy S10 AWD, Tesla LDU and Model 3 battery

Post by retrEVnoc »

For me the biggest challenge by far has been dealing with the Model 3 modules: both BMS control, and packaging them strongly and securely into the vehicle. I lifted the truck in order to make room for the batteries between the body and frame. The long modules will fit like a glove under the bed and about 6" under the cab. The short modules will go below these, and further forward so that they are roughly equally below the bed and the cab. I've mostly finished the boxes for the long modules, haven't done much on the boxes for the short modules, and have partially completed a mounting system for the 4 boxes. I've both modified and fabricated new crossmembers that will support the battery boxes from above using threaded rod and crossbars. I think my current approach could use some improvements, both securing the batteries in their boxes, and securing the boxes within the vehicle. Would love to hear ideas and suggestions from you all!
retrEVnoc

Post by retrEVnoc »

As for the remainder of the build, I've Quaifed all over the LDU with new gearing and LSD, plus the trusty openinverter controller. I've got a prius accel pedal installed and prius power steering (not yet installed). I got driveshaft adapters made at the machine shop as you can see in the pics, but haven't had driveshafts made yet.

I've upgraded the rear springs to heavy duty, replaced front and rear diffs with LSDs, replaced the rear end with one with disc brakes (plus a SOA conversion), installed some junkyard electric fans on the stock radiator...

I haven't really taken apart the dash or interior yet; I plan to do that once I've got my batteries mounted.
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

are you going to get a plunging rear drive shaft made with a support bearing?
https://bratindustries.net/ leaf motor couplers, adapter plates, custom drive train components
retrEVnoc

Post by retrEVnoc »

Bratitude wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:14 pm are you going to get a plunging rear drive shaft made with a support bearing?
Yes, that’s the idea, a two-piece rear driveshaft with a carrier bearing mounted to the crossmember behind the LDU. The longer, rear section of the driveshaft will need a plunge or telescopic bit due to the solid axle suspension.

I mounted my LDU at an angle relative to the vehicle due to my front diff being off center over to the left. So while the output flanges are pointing in roughly the right directions, the angles aren’t all perfect, as in they don’t all add up to zero like in an ideal driveshaft scenario. Still don’t know if this mounting decision was a mistake or not. I’m hoping that some double cardan joints particularly in the front will do the trick. In my truck, mounting LDU at a slight angle actually allowed me to get it further up in to the transmission tunnel than if I’d mounted it straight.
retrEVnoc

Post by retrEVnoc »

Who’s got thoughts on mounting and BMS’ing the Model 3 modules? I really liked what SuperfastMatt did with his swap. My layout of the batteries in the vehicle will be very similar, but my current design has each module individually boxed. One problem I have is I didn’t buy the whole pack, so I dont have the full penthouse nor the structural elements from the pack like he does.
Romale

Post by Romale »

retrEVnoc wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:01 pm As for the remainder of the build, I've Quaifed all over the LDU with new gearing and LSD
what is the gear ratio in the Tesla gearbox NOW? do you have 4.11:1 in bridges? what is the size of the wheels and what is the maximum speed you expect? I still can't mature enough to convert my hummer into an electric or a serial hybrid.
evil neodymium :twisted:
retrEVnoc

Post by retrEVnoc »

The Tesla gearbox is 4.5:1 IIRC

I swapped the diffs to 3.42 lsd and I have 31” tires but will likely end up moving to 3.08s and possibly larger tires to further increase my top speed and ,more importantly, slow down the motor cruising at hwy speeds