Help me choose a cheap(er?) inverter for a L110

Topics concerning the Toyota and Lexus inverter drop in boards
mark

Help me choose a cheap(er?) inverter for a L110

Post by mark »

I've been selling off some ICE car parts, getting ready to start purchasing my EV conversion parts.

Since I'm in the US, and the car I'm converting is Volvo 240 (front engine, rear drive, solid rear axle), a L110 from a GS450H seems to be the best option. However, the GS450H inverters seem to be quite a bit more expensive than prius or camry inverters.

Can anyone provide a quick summary of the different Toyota inverters, beyond just the generations and part numbers which the wiki has? Why would I choose a GS450H inverter vs a IS300H vs a Camry or a Prius?

I promise, if this thread winds up containing useful information, I'll compile it and put it all in the wiki.
MattsAwesomeStuff

Re: Help me choose a cheap(er?) inverter for a L110

Post by MattsAwesomeStuff »

Someone was compiling this info... 6 months ago?

I dunno that it ever got more than a couple steps.

I hope people do chime in.

The Gen 2 and Gen 3 Prius wikis have their info for this.
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

mark wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:52 am
Can anyone provide a quick summary of the different Toyota inverters, beyond just the generations and part numbers which the wiki has? Why would I choose a GS450H inverter vs a IS300H vs a Camry or a Prius?
generally the l110 has been run via its matting inverter via sync serial, so not a lot of option outside of that for ones that will work in the same fashion. from my understanding, some camrey inverters has been proven to run a l110 via sync serial, but im not too sure if the same could be said about the prius inverter. in that case you may have to run OI to produce the 3 phase pwm for the igbt's.

and im not even sure if the other non standard inverters that would run a l110 via sync, would run it as efficiently as the stock one would.
https://bratindustries.net/ leaf motor couplers, adapter plates, custom drive train components
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

I sourced a US 2007-2011 Camry inverter (cheaper to buy and ship to UK than a GS450H inverter was in the uk at the time!) and mated it to a UK GS450H transmission and it ran correctly in a bench test setup (60V DC and no load) using the GS450H VCU board
mark

Post by mark »

nkiernan wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:55 am I sourced a US 2007-2011 Camry inverter (cheaper to buy and ship to UK than a GS450H inverter was in the uk at the time!) and mated it to a UK GS450H transmission and it ran correctly in a bench test setup (60V DC and no load) using the GS450H VCU board
Yes, this is generally what I'm hoping to do, as the Camry and some of the other Lexus inverters (ES300H, etc.), seem to be in the $150 - $250 delivered range on ebay.

I plan on using the zombieverter board, which I hope means its a bit more adaptable between which motor and which inverter we're trying to get communicating.

I was watching one of Damien's videos (Lexus GS450H Gearbox Project Returns https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh-nTtw7k6U) and he has three Toyota inverters on his bench. And he starts with a Gen 3 Prius, then goes to a IS300H, and finally a GS450H. It seems that he describes them as just different sizes ("A step up..."), but not that they're fundamentally different in terms of functionality.

Is this the correct interpretation? The larger inverters have different power handling capabilities, or larger IGBTs, or some other difference? And what do those differences mean in terms of an EV conversion? Less power to the motor? Lower top end speed? These are the types of questions I think other would-be converters are trying to answer, and I'd love to document it in the wiki for future reference.
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

GS450H and Camry are essentially the same model, you wouldn't be interchanging the inverter and transmission from different Toyota/Lexus models though. You will see in the relevant threads how the Sync serial reverse engineering shows different communication packet lengths and data etc, so unless there was some sort of interperter in the middle to allow cross communication, you would stick with matched pairs.

This is what Zombieverter currently accommodates also, at this point anyway - matched Toyota/Lexus pairs
mark

Post by mark »

So the Camry inverter that you've bench tested would be what you referred to as a matched pair with the GS450H transmission? Which G9200 model is your inverter?
PatrcioEV-ATX

Post by PatrcioEV-ATX »

I would also recommend calling local parts yards to see if you can get one from them with the wiring harness or at least the main connector with some wire length. it will make your life so much easier. I was lucky and bought an inverter of eBay that had the main connector attached.
1998 Ford ZX2 - DC EV conversion(sold) http://evalbum.com/2093
2012 Nissan Leaf (sold)
2016 Mercedes B250e (sold)
2023 Volvo C40

Current: 1964 Rambler Classic 660 w/ GS450h set up. 36kwh Tesla batteries from B250e.
https://www.instagram.com/rambler_660e/
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

Link below should direct you to a bit more detail and a previous similar discussion and the inverter number was G9200-33030

viewtopic.php?p=30272&hilit=camry#p30272
xp677

Post by xp677 »

The equivalent year Camry inverters are the same as the GS450h inverters, but have different electrical connectors (not really an issue).
mark

Post by mark »

That's very good to know. Thanks to everyone replying.

I'll do some more digging into the sync serial length differences. Maybe I could add a 'sync serial length' column to the existing table in the wiki to illustrate which are compatible.