Mitsubishi AWD Project

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
leggievr4

Mitsubishi AWD Project

Post by leggievr4 »

Hello All,

I currently have an AWD Mitsubishi that I am looking to convert. Currently, the vehicle is producing around 300hp and 265 lb ft tq. The easiest option would be to leave all of the running gear and use an electric motor to drive everything, but I'm not sure of what potential options are there. Any suggestions? I'd like to try and make at least the same power. I have looked at the GS450h work and EM57. I have immediate access to a complete EM57 for cheap; but I'm not certain that even with more power driven to it, it would meet what I'm looking for (unless I ran two together somehow).

Open to any help, questions, or suggestions!

edit
I've decided to start by purchasing an EM57 complete motor, 160kW inverter, and charger. I think my first goal will be to play around and figure everything out and then do a FWD conversion with 24kWh of Leaf modules; just to figure it all out and get it running. Once that's done, I'll look at upgrading things and maybe down the road dropping in a rear unit. :)
leggievr4

Re: Mitsubishi AWD Project

Post by leggievr4 »

Here's the car as it sits now... let's ignore the fact it leaks fuel everywhere if I drive it.
281881617_5310273072345278_6494243314188547336_n.jpg

Spent most of the day cleaning and junking items in the garage to prepare for some tools and the em57 next week. Also took some time to begin removal of some interior things like tray cover, compartments, and rear seats.
IMG_0196.jpeg
leggievr4

Post by leggievr4 »

Lots of room back here! 3.5" of space where the tray was before.
IMG_0200.jpeg
So, broken bolts but I did get the muffler off. Good ol' 26 year old stuck bolts.
IMG_0203.jpeg
IMG_0207.jpeg
IMG_0206.jpeg
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

I think making it fwd will be more work, just keep the drive line, and mount the leaf motor to the original gearbox with a direct coupling, no clutch.
https://bratindustries.net/ leaf motor couplers, adapter plates, custom drive train components
leggievr4

Post by leggievr4 »

Bratitude wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:42 am I think making it fwd will be more work, just keep the drive line, and mount the leaf motor to the original gearbox with a direct coupling, no clutch.
The current transmission is an auto which is modeled after Porsche's tiptronic. So, I think there might be speed sensing issues there. My biggest concern was the ability to get it working reliably. That and, if I wanted more power or swapped to a different motor in the future, it might explode. I've seen where autos have been used, but it seems much more complicated.

Thoughts?
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

leggievr4 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:40 pm The current transmission is an auto which is modeled after Porsche's tiptronic.
ahh yes then you have an issue. so the gearbox layout is like the Audi and Subaru gearboxes? if you really want to piss people off, the 2019+ subaru crosstrek hybrid gearbox is essentially a gs450h but with Subaru's awd layout.... though this is new territory, as no one has used one yet.
https://bratindustries.net/ leaf motor couplers, adapter plates, custom drive train components
leggievr4

Post by leggievr4 »

Bratitude wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:01 pm ahh yes then you have an issue. so the gearbox layout is like the Audi and Subaru gearboxes? if you really want to piss people off, the 2019+ subaru crosstrek hybrid gearbox is essentially a gs450h but with Subaru's awd layout.... though this is new territory, as no one has used one yet.
I saw that! It's pretty cool. I'd have to pick one up and see how that would all line up. The car also doesn't have a traditional tunnel where it would fit. It's more like a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution in setup. Transfer case and FWD biased, but no center diff passing to the rear diff through the prop shafts.