Topics concerning the Toyota and Lexus inverter drop in boards
Ev8

Re: Is300H Inverter Hacking

Post by Ev8 »

Actually looking again that looks like an nx300h inverter not an rx450h
Zechy

Post by Zechy »

Jack Bauer wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:38 pm You mean like this one:)

Full throttle control of MG1 and 2 now working with the GS450h vcu. Porting to Zombi on the way.
:D Love your work
GreenElite

Post by GreenElite »

I'm now going with the is300h trans & inverter now instead of my original plan to use the GS450h trans.
So this is great.
dadiowe

Post by dadiowe »

GreenElite wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:16 pm I'm now going with the is300h trans & inverter now instead of my original plan to use the GS450h trans.
So this is great.
Hi, before you go down this route as far as I understand it the is300 is not fully supported by the Zombieverter at this time. It is not a selection option in the current software version. It is "under development" so you may be waiting some time for a driveable solution when you have finshed your installation.
For example until recently the GS450h, although selectable as an option for over a year, was not driveable on some installations because of some software issues and is still in the "tuning" stages.

Good luck with your install.
GreenElite

Post by GreenElite »

Thanks for the heads up, I saw that "under development" comment alright. But thought I'd have faith in Damien and as he posted a positive update on this recently that sufficient progres may be done for my application by the time I get that far!! Mine is an old classic, so no fancy canbus or control modules to interface with. I'll go with whatever charger etc has been done and keep it as simple as possible.
But as backup I've still got the GS450h gearbox....
JamesA

Post by JamesA »

dadiowe wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:44 am Hi, before you go down this route as far as I understand it the is300 is not fully supported by the Zombieverter at this time. It is not a selection option in the current software version. It is "under development" so you may be waiting some time for a driveable solution when you have finshed your installation.
For example until recently the GS450h, although selectable as an option for over a year, was not driveable on some installations because of some software issues and is still in the "tuning" stages.

Good luck with your install.
That's interesting, I thought I had read a post where someone said they had selected the GS300H on Zombieverter. Maybe I misunderstood. Naturally I can't find the post at the moment!
arber333

Post by arber333 »

JamesA wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:06 pm That's interesting, I thought I had read a post where someone said they had selected the GS300H on Zombieverter. Maybe I misunderstood. Naturally I can't find the post at the moment!
Well use a different inverter then. Motor is stil a motor and it still uses resolver. You might have to sync it up a bit but i dont see why you couldnt just run it with openinverter unit as any bldc while gs300h is being developed.
Domt177

Post by Domt177 »

I have the latest zombieverter software running and gs300h is a selectable drivetrain and working, running and driving in my project with an is300h inverter and gearbox
dadiowe

Post by dadiowe »

Apologies I must check my softwarte version
baha

Post by baha »

Hey! That is some impressive work indeed!
I'm new here, but I have a little programming experience (nothing crazy, but it is a start..) and good hardware repair/upgrade experience with industrial inverters and motors.
But, zero experience with EVs/Hybrid cars..
I have a Lexus IS300h and I'd absolutely love to be able to upgrade the battery to a lithium one with higher capacity and hack the inverter to send more power to the electric motor, if it can handle it!
Do you know what the full specs of the inverter are? I know the electric motor is capable of 140hp, but the battery is nowhere near capable of supplying that much power...
I'd like to be able to convert it into a plug-in hybrid + have all the electric motor power available when needed (and also to use only electric power when commuting as currently the electric power alone is not good enough to move the car at reasonable speeds or uphill).

Do you think this is achievable?

Thanks and looking forward to hearing back from you guys!
joeflickers

Post by joeflickers »

Domt177 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:04 pm I have the latest zombieverter software running and gs300h is a selectable drivetrain and working, running and driving in my project with an is300h inverter and gearbox
Hi,hqve the gs300h with zombie with latest firmware.. All communication is good but immediately after pressing start, the heats ink temperature (tmphs) just all the way to 4000°c.. Bringing tmphs error.. It reads all fine but brings this flactuation immediately after powering on the inveter
crasbe

Post by crasbe »

baha wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:19 pm But, zero experience with EVs/Hybrid cars..

You would be in for a steeeeeep learning curve, especially since it's a Lexus. There is next to nothing known about the CAN bus communication in the car itself and you'd have to tinker with the Hybrid ECU etc to achieve your goals. So far, this hasn't been done by anyone and this project only reverse engineered the communication between the Hybrid ECU and the inverter, it's on the lowest level possible.

Unless you have a strong background in automotive reverse engineering, you'd be in for a steeeeeeep learning curve.
Many people attempted to convert a Lexus GS450h to EV, but so far nobody succeeded.

The Plug-In aspect might be possible, maybe the car ECUs will get angry at you if they wake up and the battery is fuller than they remebered :D
Other than that I would say: Enjoy the car as it is.
arber333

Post by arber333 »

baha wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:19 pm I'd like to be able to convert it into a plug-in hybrid + have all the electric motor power available when needed (and also to use only electric power when commuting as currently the electric power alone is not good enough to move the car at reasonable speeds or uphill).

1. Research what are your OEM battery voltage limits when engine is requested on. You will want to keep within those to run in EV mode. Probably adding remote voltmeter to DC rail would be enough. Also you may want to observe if your BMS(if you use one) is sending some signals to ECU at the time...

2. Research your Li battery options. Important is to fit this to OEM NiMh battery voltage. There was a discussion somewhere online about appropriate replacement chemistry for NiMh. Someone suggested LiFePo4 because of flatter voltage character...

3. See where you could fit a used charge port and integrate your charger. That could be tricky as normally chargers require liquid cooling so you would ned to tap into inverter coolant hoses...

4. Think of BMS and charge level indicator implementation...

There is a lot of engineering involved, but i belive result would be very satisfying.
crasbe

Post by crasbe »

joeflickers wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:09 am Hi,hqve the gs300h with zombie with latest firmware.. All communication is good but immediately after pressing start, the heats ink temperature (tmphs) just all the way to 4000°c.. Bringing tmphs error.. It reads all fine but brings this flactuation immediately after powering on the inveter
The GS450h inverter is very susceptible to electromagnetic interference and I'd suspect the GS300h inverter would be too. Are you using shielded cables for the communication wires and have good ground connections to the inverter and other components?
joeflickers

Post by joeflickers »

crasbe wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:46 am The GS450h inverter is very susceptible to electromagnetic interference and I'd suspect the GS300h inverter would be too. Are you using shielded cables for the communication wires and have good ground connections to the inverter and other components?
I'm using short twisted wires(40cm long)not shielded.. Transmission and inverter are all grounded back to the vcu ground wire

However I received my gs450h motor from emirates (Dubai) from a 2014 Lexus, it has an external pump. The inverter however seems to be from gs300h as per the pinout, are the two compatible or this is my source of problem?
crasbe

Post by crasbe »

joeflickers wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:27 pm I'm using short twisted wires(40cm long)not shielded.. Transmission and inverter are all grounded back to the vcu ground wire

However I received my gs450h motor from emirates (Dubai) from a 2014 Lexus, it has an external pump. The inverter however seems to be from gs300h as per the pinout, are the two compatible or this is my source of problem?
I'm not sure if anyone tested this combination already, there's certainly no explicit support for it.
joeflickers

Post by joeflickers »

crasbe wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:40 pm I'm not sure if anyone tested this combination already, there's certainly no explicit support for it.
Great.. Let me try to first replace the communications line with twisted wires. Just curious, I currently do not have Isa-shunt, will this prevent me from doing initial test?
joeflickers

Post by joeflickers »

crasbe wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:40 pm I'm not sure if anyone tested this combination already, there's certainly no explicit support for it.
Just to let you that I was able to get it running, I was running it with basic 4 communication channels as per the wiki and had not wired the resolvers.. Immediately after doing so it spun beautifully and no more errors tmphs errors following your code
aaronmcg

Post by aaronmcg »

Domt177 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:04 pm I have the latest zombieverter software running and gs300h is a selectable drivetrain and working, running and driving in my project with an is300h inverter and gearbox
Hi ,

Your post suggests the inverts and gearboxes of both gs300h and is300h are interchangeable / compatible with each other.
Is this the case?

(I've got a gs300h trans and is300h inverters appear more available and cheaper