Hyundai IoniQ 2020 HV battery pack

vin

Hyundai IoniQ 2020 HV battery pack

Post by vin »

Hi All, so I’ve recently purchased a 2020 Hyundai Ionic EV battery pack 37501-G7650, and I’m hoping to get it working in my EV conversion, and hopefully spread some of the information that I find on here.

I do have some questions, so if anyone is able to, your input would be greatly appreciated.

1. Is it possible to read the BMS information via CAN?
2. Is battery balancing a standard operation on BMS systems and is it activated as soon as there’s power to the BMS.
Is the BMS involved in Grid station charging? What sort of information is required for a grid station to output power?

Thank you all in advance, I have attach photos of the pack? Please let me know if you require any information from it.
Attachments
C0C654E4-C916-4FB7-AF8C-2C32DAFE5B01.png
B04BDDAB-64AC-4664-8AAA-31F1907D8090.png
B573BCDE-8FCD-43E1-AC8E-6B536C6D588E.png
17C2F147-63B0-4C56-8EBC-A7AA3B043DAF.png
9C343AA4-1D2B-4673-877B-6B17983E2843.png
688EE9B1-4431-4E80-89EE-AAE1D36C5E84.png
B5095C4A-7E85-44E9-B7D2-E23C17E67BB5.png
8154092C-6A9D-4B6B-B88C-3723D09BC869.png
1AC06D35-7D96-41F5-9DF8-FC4B277C47FE.png
6F4CEB0F-6088-4FB4-8C22-A9300531C0FC.png
paaa

Re: Hyundai IoniQ 2020 HV battery pack

Post by paaa »

I used car scanner to check details on a 2018 28kwh , I would imagine you might be able to try and splice into the can lines and 12v to see if it works with a obd socket spliced on , I found a can log online for a 28kwh if that's of any use to you.
vin

Post by vin »

paaa wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:39 pm I used car scanner to check details on a 2018 28kwh , I would imagine you might be able to try and splice into the can lines and 12v to see if it works with a obd socket spliced on , I found a can log online for a 28kwh if that's of any use to you.
Hi, Yes definitely looking into this and will share what I can find. Adding photos and info on the next post.
vin

Post by vin »

I' attempting to find the CAN signals connections with my limited PCB knowledge, and here's what I've found

So I've taken out to BMU and opened it up and found some interesting chips on the board.

Infineon SAK- TC2640 40f200w BB Infineon 14 84pnat74x06

Max1784 1bgue/v +021

Tbs5200-4E KA G2012 e2j 1E937455g06

NXP TJA1029 FV0000 Zn0341

T251V 443 G2025

TI 04 OVDQ

I think I've managed to figure out power input into the board, However i'm unsure of whether an enable/ignition signal is requires

I'm assuming the NXP is CAN related, Maybe One of you legends could tell me differently.

And of course you have the Massive Infineon processor chip.

Attachments
IMG_1893.jpeg
IMG_1892.jpeg
IMG_1891.jpeg
IMG_1890.jpeg
IMG_1889.jpeg
IMG_1875.jpeg
royhen99

Post by royhen99 »

TJA1029 is LIN bus transceiver. U300 looks like CAN interface, possibly TJA1050 but can not read it in photo. U3 is MAX17841 which is ISO SPI, which I assume is the interface to the battery modules.
celeron55

Post by celeron55 »

Nice photos. I've wondered when is it that someone might figure out the communications on the Korean stuff!
projectgus

Post by projectgus »

Nice stuff! I have a crashed 2019 Kona sitting outside. I'm hoping to run the full BMS in a transplanted vehicle (rather than going one layer down and talking to the the cell monitor units, as some others on here are successfully doing.)

I am hoping the battery pack control would be similar between 2019 Kona and 2020 Ioniq, It's hard to tell from the photo how many pins are in the external socket in your photo, it looks like it could be similar or maybe it has fewer pins?

On the Kona, the plug is KET MG656922-5 and the pinout (Kona connector number EB11) is:

Code: Select all

|---------------|
/---------------------------------------\
| 11 10 |   9  8  *  *  5  4  3 |  2  1 |
|       |  --------    -------- |       |
|  * 21 |   *  *  *  *  *  * 14 | 13 12 |
| 33  * |  31 30 29 28 27 26  * |  *  * |
\---------------------------------------/
EDIT: ASCII art seems to only work in some browsers, so here's a screenshot of the ASCII art!
ascii_art_plug.png
(This might be mirrored left-to-right for you, I wrote it down based on the harness connector. My car is still mostly intact so I haven't verified it.)

Here are my (unverified) notes on the external connector pinout:
  • 1 & 2 - Memory Power 12V (powered all times, 15A BMS fuse)
  • 12 - "IG3" relay power 12V (on when vehicle is "on", 10A fuse)
  • 10 & 11 - P-CAN High & Low (powertrain CAN, main control channel for BMS)
  • 15 & 16 - QC CAN High & Low (marked unused and not populated in the harness diagram, I guess this is used in-factory)
  • 3 & 14 - Service plug interlock (in engine bay, connection closed for normal operation)
  • 4 - Quick Charge (+) relay control (to HV Junction block)
  • 26 - Quick Charge Relay ground (to HV Junction block)
  • 5 - Quick Charge (-) relay control (to HV Junction block)
  • 9 - Quick Charge temperature signal
  • 31 - Quick Charge temperature GND
  • 13 - Crash Output from SRS ECU
  • 8 - Radiator Outlet Temperature Sensor Signal
  • 30 - Radiator Outlet Temperature Sensor GND
  • 21 - Coolant 3-way Valve Control (coolant valve)
  • 29 - Coolant 3-way Valve GND
  • 27 - BMS Heater Temperature Sensor Signal (I think not there on my AU car)
  • 28 - BMS Heater Temperature Sensor GND
Inside the battery pack, most of these connections run directly from this external connector to the main BMU module connector.

BTW, if you're in EU or some other places then you can pay 15 Euro to Hyundai Global Service Way then you can access the exact schematic diagrams, connector pinouts, etc for the Ioniq including schematics for inside the battery pack. The above is from notes I took while looking there.

Hopefully this is similar or the same as your pack. I plan to take some P-CAN logs from my Kona soon, and will post here when I do.
vin

Post by vin »

projectgus wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:04 am Nice stuff! I have a crashed 2019 Kona sitting outside. I'm hoping to run the full BMS in a transplanted vehicle (rather than going one layer down and talking to the the cell monitor units, as some others on here are successfully doing.)

I am hoping the battery pack control would be similar between 2019 Kona and 2020 Ioniq, It's hard to tell from the photo how many pins are in the external socket in your photo, it looks like it could be similar or maybe it has fewer pins?

On the Kona, the plug is KET MG656922-5 and the pinout (Kona connector number EB11) is:

Code: Select all

|---------------|
/---------------------------------------\
| 11 10 |   9  8  *  *  5  4  3 |  2  1 |
|  * 21 |   *  *  *  *  *  * 14 | 13 12 |
| 33  * |  31 30 29 28 27 26  * |  *  * |
\---------------------------------------/
(This might be mirrored left-to-right for you, I wrote it down based on the harness connector. My car is still mostly intact so I haven't verified it.)

Here are my (unverified) notes on the external connector pinout:
  • 1 & 2 - Memory Power 12V (powered all times, 15A BMS fuse)
  • 12 - "IG3" relay power 12V (on when vehicle is "on", 10A fuse)
  • 10 & 11 - P-CAN High & Low (powertrain CAN, main control channel for BMS)
  • 15 & 16 - QC CAN High & Low (marked unused and not populated in the harness diagram, I guess this is used in-factory)
  • 3 & 14 - Service plug interlock (in engine bay, connection closed for normal operation)
  • 4 - Quick Charge (+) relay control (to HV Junction block)
  • 26 - Quick Charge Relay ground (to HV Junction block)
  • 5 - Quick Charge (-) relay control (to HV Junction block)
  • 9 - Quick Charge temperature signal
  • 31 - Quick Charge temperature GND
  • 13 - Crash Output from SRS ECU
  • 8 - Radiator Outlet Temperature Sensor Signal
  • 30 - Radiator Outlet Temperature Sensor GND
  • 21 - Coolant 3-way Valve Control (coolant valve)
  • 29 - Coolant 3-way Valve GND
  • 27 - BMS Heater Temperature Sensor Signal (I think not there on my AU car)
  • 28 - BMS Heater Temperature Sensor GND
Inside the battery pack, most of these connections run directly from this external connector to the main BMU module connector.

BTW, if you pay 15 Euro to Hyundai Global Service Way then you can access the exact schematic diagrams, connector pinouts, etc for the Ioniq including schematics for inside the battery pack. The above is from notes I took while looking there.

Hopefully this is similar or the same as your pack. I plan to take some P-CAN logs from my Kona soon, and will post here when I do.
Wow @Projectgus that looks like it exactly. I'm going to test the connections and let you all know how I get on. Thank you very much, sure the forum members will appreciate it too.
Attachments
IMG_1846.jpg
projectgus

Post by projectgus »

Huh, that looks like the same plug but with different pins populated in the centre rows. I guess it was too much to hope that they'd make the packs plug-and-play swappable.

If you've got the battery pack open then you can probably have a look behind this connector to see some of the connections (CAN will be a twisted pair, main power will be thicker wire, etc.) But would recommend diving into the Hyundai site if you can, 15 Euros to look at the schematics can save a lot of headaches.

BTW, I realised my high tech ASCII art pin diagram doesn't render properly in some browsers, so I edited my post with a screenshot of it. :D
vin

Post by vin »

projectgus wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:02 pm Huh, that looks like the same plug but with different pins populated in the centre rows. I guess it was too much to hope that they'd make the packs plug-and-play swappable.

If you've got the battery pack open then you can probably have a look behind this connector to see some of the connections (CAN will be a twisted pair, main power will be thicker wire, etc.) But would recommend diving into the Hyundai site if you can, 15 Euros to look at the schematics can save a lot of headaches.

BTW, I realised my high tech ASCII art pin diagram doesn't render properly in some browsers, so I edited my post with a screenshot of it. :D
I did think that, when I started trying to piece it together, but i thought to myself, If the connector looks so similar, its more likely that the power and CAN would be in the same place, So i got the multimeter and traced some continuity, from the inside of the BMU to the pins and that seemed to work.

Ill attach the video of getting the messages and a dump of what I found. I'm going to track down a DBC file to try and decode and then go from there. The dump is attach, if anyone is interested.
Attachments
BMU capture No HV connected.csv
(122.95 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
vin

Post by vin »

projectgus wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:02 pm Huh, that looks like the same plug but with different pins populated in the centre rows. I guess it was too much to hope that they'd make the packs plug-and-play swappable.

The ASCII was Brilliant BTW, Definitely helpful. Much Appreciated. :)
projectgus

Post by projectgus »

Great progress! I look forward to comparing this to my Kona, once I get it capturing (soon, I hope!)
vin

Post by vin »

Hi Guys, Just thought I'd do an update on reading the information from the BMU.

So i've managed to connect a Bluetooth OBD11 to the device's pinout and use CarScanner on an android device to view the cells information on the pack, and the cells seem to be in good shape. I have all the connections to provide the data from the cells and pack sensor to the BMU connect and they are all reading fine. Slight strange State of charge percentage displaying 34.5% however the pack is at 318.8 volts, not sure if that's correct but something to look into. This is the video of the setup and what i could see, if anyone is interested.

Attachments
IMG_1927.jpg
celeron55

Post by celeron55 »

Any chance of CAN capture when reading the info using the diagnostic tool? Seems to me it would be useful.
projectgus

Post by projectgus »

FWIW, the PIDs in the scanner requests probably match the ones shown here: https://github.com/JejuSoul/OBD-PIDs-for-HKMC-EVs
vin

Post by vin »

celeron55 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:53 pm Any chance of CAN capture when reading the info using the diagnostic tool? Seems to me it would be useful.
I didn't manage to capture anything at on that occasion, However I did capture a short csv about 3 posts back in this thread.
vin

Post by vin »

projectgus wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:27 am FWIW, the PIDs in the scanner requests probably match the ones shown here: https://github.com/JejuSoul/OBD-PIDs-for-HKMC-EVs
Thanks projectgus,

My next step is to find the CAN messages the operates the contractors in the contractor box, and I'm guessing that there are specific ID from the inverter which initiates that. I've had a look at the GitHub, but not sure if the info in there will help me to achieve that, will need to figure out to use Torque first lol. But the Input is much appreciated as always.
projectgus

Post by projectgus »

That's right, the JejuSoul repo just has OBD2 diagnostic PIDs (the request/response that allows a diagnostic interface to track parameters.) I posted it as a helper for anyone who wants to get the same diagnostic data as the app you used, in a different way. But it's separate to the "normal" CAN messages for operation.

I'll hopefully get some captures from my Kona's P-CAN bus soon, and will post them once I do. The messages to control the contactors should be in there, with luck they are the same for Ioniq.
projectgus

Post by projectgus »

projectgus wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:33 am I'll hopefully get some captures from my Kona's P-CAN bus soon, and will post them once I do. The messages to control the contactors should be in there, with luck they are the same for Ioniq.
This took longer than expected, but logs are up here: https://github.com/projectgus/hyundai-kona-ev-can-logs

Include a bunch of PCAN logs, which definitely includes messages to open contactors (needle, meet haystack! :D)
powercontrol

Post by powercontrol »

-- Edited my previous post asking for assistance as I sorted it out --
Hello vin,

Thanks for sharing! Reading yours and @projectgus posts, I found why I could not get this working. I have been able to record PCAN messages thanks to both you. The Hyundai online docs states EB pin 12 is not used in the battery wiring on my eNiro. well, it is actually. I lefft this project aside 6 months ago and you reignited my interest. you have made much more than my day today.

I will post in the most relevant thread not to pollute yours. but big big thanks for your post.
RoyBoy

Post by RoyBoy »

Hi Vin, I have also purchased a 2020 Hyundai Ionic EV battery pack so very interested in how you are progressing with yours. To date I have not been able to establish communications with mine via the bus. Any hits or suggestions appreciated.
maciek16c

Post by maciek16c »

RoyBoy, check if battery draws any current from 12V, in my case it's about 300mA. Check if there are termination resisors on CAN bus (120 or 60 ohm)
powercontrol

Post by powercontrol »

Hello Royboy, any luck by checking my EB11 wiring sheet?
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
EV_Builder

Post by EV_Builder »

Very nice battery; soon i will support it also!
Converting an Porsche Panamera
see http://www.wdrautomatisering.nl for bespoke BMS modules.
cgalpin

Post by cgalpin »

This is amazing. I am going to try this on a Ioniq 5 battery at a junk yard to verify it's health before purchasing, but have a couple of questions if you don't mind.

1. I can't tell from the video where you tapped into the CAN lines - can this be done without opening the battery, or do I need to tap in to the internal wiring connection to the BMS? I am hoping to do this all via the EB11 connector (or equivalent for the Ioniq 5) without opening the pack.
2. Did you have to do anything special with CarScanner settings, or does it just think it's talking to a car without issue given most of the car is not there?
3. If this doesnt work for me I am going to try get the raw canbus using SavvyCAN. From your first video it appears to have just started spewing messages without you activating it with any messages - is that correct?

tia,
charles
vin wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:35 pm So i've managed to connect a Bluetooth OBD11 to the device's pinout and use CarScanner on an android device to view the cells information on the pack, and the cells seem to be in good shape.