Mitsubishi Outlander generator motor and inverter

Mitsubishi hybrid drive unit hacking
nikejamie

Mitsubishi Outlander generator motor and inverter

Post by nikejamie »

Hi Everyone

I have purchased the generator and inverter and the throttle. i now need a VCU board to make the inverter control the motor.

I know Tom Cheesewright used the zombieverter board to control Prius inverter with generator motor.

Will the Zombieverter board work with the Mitsubishi generator and mitsubishi inverter?

As i don't know Arduino or any programming - is there any simple controller i can buy?

Much appreciate any help i can get.

Thanks
Mitsubishi Outlander generator.jpeg
01.jpeg
rstevens81

Re: Mitsubishi Outlander generator motor and inverter

Post by rstevens81 »

Tom (and Jamie) used the Prius inverter plus the Damian board with the front generator, but it's not really to be recommended as I believe the peak power Jamie got was only 42kw and it's rated for 60k in OEM form.
As for turn key solution without deep programming the zombie is your best bet.
Otherwise it will be time to learn Arduino 😁

Edit....
Forgot to say the motor does not produce a massive amount of torque, it gets its power from revs, so you'll probably need to keep it in a very low gear i.e 1st and 2nd to make it useable.
Rule 1 of EV Club is don't buy a rust bucket....
Which rule does everyone forget 🤪
Bigpie

Post by Bigpie »

Zombie board will only work with OEM inverter motor pairs, e.g. Outlander rear motor and rear inverter or outlander front motor(s) and inverter, Toyota motor and inverter.
Looks like you have the front inverter and generator, a zombie board will control it. You might get more from the motor with the OEM control than I manage with the prius inverter, it would be good to know if it does. Based on my experience with the single motor to my gearbox, I wouldn't recommend starting a project with it.

I have the other motor and gearbox spare if you are wanting to go the route of using both.

Where about's are you? You can have a drive of the beetle for a feel for what the motor can do..
VW Beetle 2003
Outlander front generator
Prius Gen 3 inverter (EVBMW logic board)
Outlander charger
3x Golf GTE batteries
Chademo Charging
Outlander water heater
nikejamie

Post by nikejamie »

@ rstevens81- I intend using the generator in a Tuk Tuk. Will it be enough power to move a Tuk Tuk that normally uses a 200cc engine.

@ Bigpie - how much do you want for the other motor and gearbox spare?
Bigpie

Post by Bigpie »

Itll be awesome in a tuktuk.

You can have gearbox and motor for £100 to put towards my motor upgrade unless you have a motor you want to trade :D
VW Beetle 2003
Outlander charger
3x Golf GTE batteries
Chademo Charging
Outlander water heater
nikejamie

Post by nikejamie »

Sounds like a good idea. How heavy is it? i bought the generator and inverter in the UK and brought it back with me to South Africa.

Hoping it's not too heavy to fit in my luggage - we planning on coming to visit outlaws in UK around November
rstevens81

Post by rstevens81 »

That would be insane in a tuk tuk, should be plenty if the gearing is low enough, to the extent that wheelies could actually be a problem 🤪 .

Here's a graph of the front motor stolen from Google with maths since we know power and torque you can calculate rpm.
38729230265_81d462973c_o.png
Ctwidle

Post by Ctwidle »

I believe Tom is swapping his front Mitsubishi motor for a rear one to gain a little more power. He is still using the Toyota inverter but I am not sure that he is using the zombie vcu as he is is certainly using an arduino somewhere in his set up.

I try to keep up with things but could have missed something, is there anyone currently running a mitsubishi OEM combination (front or rear) via a Zombie? As I am not a programmer, and I am unlikely to become one, i am hoping to use that combination in my superbug conversion

Chris.
nikejamie

Post by nikejamie »

I am getting a bit confused. Is zombieverter and arduino two different things? I thought that i have to buy a zombieverter and arduino is the program that controls it. And i don't know one thing about arduino.
rstevens81

Post by rstevens81 »

Zombieverter (by Damian) is a VCU that will control the inverter, this is what you want if your not programmer saavy.

Arduino IDE is a programming language that can be used to program little hobbiest boards (originally they were Arduino boards such as Arduino mega,Arduino due etc, but now many boards) these can be used to work with can bus with additional chips but since your not from that background I wouldn't recommend it as you'll need to quite a bit of learning and experiments.
Bigpie

Post by Bigpie »

Motor is sane weight as generator. Gearbox is probably 50kg.

Zombie VCU is an external board, used with OEM control mechanisms and so only intended for motor inverter pairs. No tuning and configuration configuration required. This is probably your best bet as you have the inverter and motor from the outlander.

Myself and tom have mixed prius inverter with Outlander motors, and a replacement logic board that goes inside the inverter and takes direct control, so any motor can be used, but needs tuning and configuration.
VW Beetle 2003
Outlander charger
3x Golf GTE batteries
Chademo Charging
Outlander water heater
nikejamie

Post by nikejamie »

nikejamie wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:58 pm Sounds like a good idea. How heavy is it? i bought the generator and inverter in the UK and brought it back with me to South Africa.

Hoping it's not too heavy to fit in my luggage - we planning on coming to visit outlaws in UK around November
Hi

We arrived in UK about 3 weeks or so ago. I am not good at this openinverter forum. It took me forever to find your message. If that unit is still available, can I please come have a look. Thanks james (please send me your cell number so that i can whatsapp you) mine is +27 72 825 1839 ( i can only receive whatsapp messages and calls as I don't know how to setup roaming)