Electric Golf IV

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
eee291

Electric Golf IV

Post by eee291 »

I've decided to finally start building my own electric car.
I was going to convert my Passat in 2019 but just as I was about to start buying parts COVID happened and I was laid off amongst other things. :cry:

The Passat is my only mode of transportation for now, so I got this Golf instead for just 200€ with a broken Conrod.
IMG_20220726_123527.jpg
IMG_20220726_123536.jpg
I've got brakes figured out, don't know if I should go with electric power steering or hydraulic. Hydraulic seems way easier.

Inverter is a Gen2 Prius with the brain board from Johannes.

Motor is a 33kg asynchronous forklift motor rated at 5kw cont. It has plenty of cooling holes so I'm hoping it'll handle 20kw peaks, maybe more with higher voltage.

I think I got the battery figured out.

This will be a tight budget conversion since I don't have a stable income.
Alibro

Re: Electric Golf IV

Post by Alibro »

If a power steering system is designed to run with hydraulic assistance will it harm the rack to use electric power steering thereby effectively forcing the steering from the column?
I ask because I don't know but suspect it might. I decided to use a motor to drive the oem power steering pump but most go for an electric /hydraulic pump from a GM or Volvo car.
I need a bigger hammer!
Bigpie

Post by Bigpie »

I think people just loop the oil lines in that case. The hydraulic pumps are cheap but noisy. Check my Beetle build thread, same platform as the mk 4 golf, also did on a tight budget.
VW Beetle 2003
Outlander front generator
Prius Gen 3 inverter (EVBMW logic board)
Outlander charger
3x Golf GTE batteries
Chademo Charging
Outlander water heater
thatwildman

Post by thatwildman »

Alibro wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:14 am If a power steering system is designed to run with hydraulic assistance will it harm the rack to use electric power steering thereby effectively forcing the steering from the column?
I ask because I don't know but suspect it might. I decided to use a motor to drive the oem power steering pump but most go for an electric /hydraulic pump from a GM or Volvo car.
Id say yes, i have tested it my self and the rack was gone withen a month of driving.
its better to use electric hydrolic steering pump. :mrgreen: