New starter - Prius MK3 & BMW e46 - tips please

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
FFMan

New starter - Prius MK3 & BMW e46 - tips please

Post by FFMan »

So building an EV has been on my list for a while, but finally cleared the decks of other projects and made a start.

Have bought a Prius MK3 invterter and gearbox and am waiting on a V1c board from Damien, and watched a tons of video from him and Latuta. I have a long term hobby background in electronics, many Arduino IOT projects, and run and maintain a race car and a track car, so i think i'm ok with the mechanicals. I also run an e46 BMW 325i as my day car and have got pretty used to maintaining it.

Bagged a cheap e46 320d touring the other day with some engine issues, so this is the target vehicle.

I'm planning on using a number of Proliant PSU module in series for the test voltage.

So far, the info out there seems pretty comprehensive, and i am fan of small steps forward which seems to be the recommended approach.

I'd appreciate any tips or tricks people can pass on, and especially any designs for e46 adapter plate and drive linkages.
philbrennan

Re: New starter - Prius MK3 & BMW e46 - tips please

Post by philbrennan »

Hi, I'm planing ( For a long time ) a fairly similar project, e39 525d touring. When I'm reading this forum, I keep feeling I'm missing a lot.
Could you recommend some reading resources? I should be ok mechanically, I maintain my own cars, have built several race/track cars. I've more experience on software side of IOT than hardware.
I'm aware of the basic components needed but still lacking on how to put them together.
Anyway for your project, what motor are you planning on running? Where are you planning on putting batteries?
FFMan

Post by FFMan »

Hi

thanks for the reply. I'm no expert, much the same as you, proficient in running track & race cars, and Arduino/IOT proficient as well.

So I started with Damiens you tube channel, he is in your neck of the woods. I have bought Prius Mk3 inverter and gearbox and ordered the board from EVBMW. Then i'm going to follow his videos, there is a comprehensive set of 3 covering the board install and test.

Also look up Latuta EV on you tube, he is thorough and has good info.

I collected yesterday an E46 320d touring with smoky turbo and rattling flywheel for this project.

There will no doubt be a number of issues, but small steps, getting the motor spinning on the bench, then mate it to the gearbox and go from there.

As soon as by board turns up, i'll make a start - happy to keep in touch either here or via email.
E46 touring
Phev rear motor, OEM inverter cabin heater and charger
BMW 9kwh & 12kwh packs
philbrennan

Post by philbrennan »

Cool, yup any info you can add will be great. Has anyone put prius drivetrain into a bmw yet? Thanks for that link, looking at latutas videos I'm not really encouraged, I was hoping to not need to do a huge amount of soldering, my skills are very basic and my time is limited. I was thinking that I will go for leaf, it seems a bit more mature as a solution. I know that means mating up a gearbox to it.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

If (ok ok when) I convert another BMW it will be with an IS300h or gs450h system like I did in the E65 :
That would be my advice as it requires no adapter plates or couplers, The GAB80 bmw driveshaft is a straight fit on the lexus flange and leaves the engine bay free for batteries etc.
I'm going to need a hacksaw
philbrennan

Post by philbrennan »

fair point. I think one of the plus points in my head for the leaf conversion ( which you've demonstrated Damian :) ) is having a manual bmw gearbox in the car. Particularly since the car is currently an auto, which has its plusses and minuses.. But yes, the lexus conversion is far more space efficient. I can fill most of the engine bay with batteries. And in any case I want to avoid putting batteries in the load capacity of the boot. Sorry for the thread hijack.