BMS for EV Battery For Solar Installation

Topics concerning OEM and open source BMSes
HedgePig

BMS for EV Battery For Solar Installation

Post by HedgePig »

Hello forum and my first post so please forgive any obvious errors.

I have recently (yesterday!) taken delivery of a set of high power solar panels and an inverter. I am told the inverter has a built in BMS and simply needs a +- input, but I suspect it's more complex than that.

It is hard to ignore the value margin in a second hand vehicle EV battery and the price currently in the marketplace for purpose built solar battery stacks. It's actual orders of magnitude more expensive.

As such, I anticipate my solar panels will be generating power well in excess of my actual needs and an ability to store even some of it makes sense. That, and I am a bit of a curious sort and the idea of constructing a battery bank is very exciting.

After that lengthy intro my questions:
I am in Devon in the Southwest of the UK. Who or where can I speak to an actual human who has at least some experience when it comes to using a 2nd hand EV battery for solar storage?
Next, my basic grasp of the DC power circuit is I shall have an excess of the right sort of power, how do I tell my inverter there is a battery on the system and more importantly how do I get the energy safely into the EV battery? I must assume that the BMS on a VW battery is not the same as a Tesla! How do I get them all to talk to each other while ensuring the charge is efficient and individual cells are being balanced etc?

My energy demands are low. I would probably be perfectly happy with something as small as a 5kw battery set. Anything more than about 10 is unlikely to fully charge in a cycle anyway, though I have the option of adding more panels at a later date if necessary, though this would mean added costs as I would need to replace the inverter.

I hope my questions make sense and I am permitted to ask. In advance I thank you for reading this far and am excited about learning what I can. HP.
EV_Builder

Re: BMS for EV Battery For Solar Installation

Post by EV_Builder »

DM me if you want. I missed this message somehow 😊
Converting an Porsche Panamera
see http://www.wdrautomatisering.nl for bespoke BMS modules.
arber333

Re: BMS for EV Battery For Solar Installation

Post by arber333 »

HedgePig wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:27 pm Hello forum and my first post so please forgive any obvious errors.

I have recently (yesterday!) taken delivery of a set of high power solar panels and an inverter. I am told the inverter has a built in BMS and simply needs a +- input, but I suspect it's more complex than that.

It is hard to ignore the value margin in a second hand vehicle EV battery and the price currently in the marketplace for purpose built solar battery stacks. It's actual orders of magnitude more expensive.

As such, I anticipate my solar panels will be generating power well in excess of my actual needs and an ability to store even some of it makes sense. That, and I am a bit of a curious sort and the idea of constructing a battery bank is very exciting.

After that lengthy intro my questions:
I am in Devon in the Southwest of the UK. Who or where can I speak to an actual human who has at least some experience when it comes to using a 2nd hand EV battery for solar storage?
Next, my basic grasp of the DC power circuit is I shall have an excess of the right sort of power, how do I tell my inverter there is a battery on the system and more importantly how do I get the energy safely into the EV battery? I must assume that the BMS on a VW battery is not the same as a Tesla! How do I get them all to talk to each other while ensuring the charge is efficient and individual cells are being balanced etc?

My energy demands are low. I would probably be perfectly happy with something as small as a 5kw battery set. Anything more than about 10 is unlikely to fully charge in a cycle anyway, though I have the option of adding more panels at a later date if necessary, though this would mean added costs as I would need to replace the inverter.

I hope my questions make sense and I am permitted to ask. In advance I thank you for reading this far and am excited about learning what I can. HP.
I am usng JK BMS for up to 24S;
https://www.jkbms.com/products/active-balancer-bms/

For solar application I normally wire them up to 16S for 48Vish solar battery
I have tested it and i am using this BMS now in my LiPo battery from Mazda.
I tested it with Opel Ampera modules wired in 12S and VW Golf GTE 12S modules.

The trick of using a single BMS with multiple parallel modules is to parallel individual cells and connect each (parallel)cell to BMS by a ingle output wire. That way allows direct control over batery output. JK BMS allows for bluetooth interfacing and regular inspections without multimeterand opening of the box.
Some photos...
Attachments
20220428_170901.jpg
20220428_170908.jpg
20220712_195905.jpg
Screenshot_20221002-120025.jpg