Fiero Leaf

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
FieroJam

Fiero Leaf

Post by FieroJam »

Hello: Everyone

I've been lurking on here for a while, especially eyeballing the Zombieverter, watching all the videos, reading most of the threads, but I guess I should come on and say hello and show a bit of my Pontiac Fiero - with Leaf stack swap.

For those that may not be familiar with Pontiac Fieros, it is a mid-engine vehicle built in the mid 80's.

I've probably skipped so much begining documentation, but I have some and would love to get any feedback and advice from the members here.

Currently I'm only in the engine fit/mechanical connection phase of the swap before I start diving into the VCU and battery management aspect to the EV swap.

I don't know anyone who has tried (not saying there are not any) to fit a Leaf stack into a Fiero, but as far as I combed online, I haven't found anything.

I'll skip on the prep work it took to mount it on the subframe. But currently everything so far is going very well. The Leaf Stack fits great, it is about left to right even as I could get it (about 2 cm difference), the gearbox axles sits level and even to the original axle centerline, so that is all good.

I'm currently working on the CV axles and figuring out a possible way that I could use the existing Nissan Leaf cv axles to the Fiero wheel hubs. The axle lengths are just about right on, with the exception of one side (about 2.5 cm difference) is a bit long. But that can be cut and resplined.

The outer CV joints are my next challenge. I dissembled the cv axles on both vehicles to see if I could do something to mate it up.
Although the ball bearings on both outer rzeppa cv joints were the exact same diameter, the inner/outer race was a bit off. I was hoping to use the Nissan's leafs inner race (star) and fit it into the Fiero's race and CV joint. But the Leaf's is 2mm off in diameter. I dried fit it (without grease) to see if I would have any issues, such as it being too lose it falls out or pulls out easily, but it doesn't.

Fiero inner race:

Nissan Leaf inner race:

I still don't know if I should move forward or look for a different option. I wished it was a perfect match or had closer tolerance. Having custom hybrid half-shafts made can cost a pretty penny.

This is what I have going so far.

Thanks for this great forum! :)
Attachments
fiero leaf 2.jpg
FieroJam

Re: Fiero Leaf

Post by FieroJam »

Giving some updates to the project.

CV axles are now done. I was able to utilize the Fiero CV shafts and had them cut and resplined to fit the Nissan inner CV joints, as to make a hybrid cv axles to mate the Leaf gearbox to the Fiero wheel hubs.

Mechanically, I would say it is complete. The next step will be the electrical and VCU connections and bench test this on the subframe before installing it to the vehicle. Step-by-step it is getting there.

Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

clean! looks oem
https://bratindustries.net/ leaf motor couplers, adapter plates, custom drive train components
joelado

Post by joelado »

How is the Fiero Leaf project going? I destroyed the electric motor in my electric fiero and am thinking of scrapping the whole lead acid, old charger and old controller and change everything in it with my 2013 Nissan, Leaf drivetrain and everything. I want to know how you are doing with yours.