GEN 3 charger not starting

Topics concerning the Tesla front and rear drive unit drop-in board
nathaniel

GEN 3 charger not starting

Post by nathaniel »

hi all,
i'm new in the DIY EV, i'm planning to convert a Triumph spitfire. after a lot of research i have started with preparations for this.
i have successfully run a mitsubishi PHEV motor on a opel ampera inverter wit a openinverter controller, so i'm starting to get familiar withe the openinverter firmware. the next step was the charger, that is what my question is about.
i have a Tesla GEN 3 charger EU version. i have the rev 3 STM based controller with the Tesla Charger alternative firmware 1.06 running on it(i could only find this firmware on the GEN 2 topic, maybe there is the cause of my problem?). if i login on the web interface i can see all the settings. at the moment i don't have a type 2 charger yet so i tried the manual mode. if i put a signal on D1 input the 3 modules are going on there on state (leds are going on) all 3 modules are reporting a AC voltage and also a DC voltage if i connect the battery. and also some temperatures and etc.
the problem is that the charge seems to start, i can see the current idc starting to rise to my setpoint but after a couple of seconds the modules going into a fault and charge stopt, and then it restarts the charge and this repeated endless. if i measure on the AC and DC side there is never a current increase and never any current at the DC side.
the CAN bus resistor seems good, on both sides a 120 ohm resistor, 60 ohm total. and sinds i have data from the modules i think the problem is not in the CAN communication.
i have tried to run only one module at the time, case is connected to ground, neutral is on the right side al in the original setup. the reset seems not happening when the AC is not connected.
Am I missing something? do i need to do something with the CP of prox signal pins in manual mode? like i said i'm new to this so i think i did something wrong.

i have a 12kW PHEV battery sitting at 384 volt, with simpBMS.

i hope someone can point me in the right direction where to look for the fix.

thanks in advance for helping
nathaniel

Re: GEN 3 charger not starting

Post by nathaniel »

i have found the problem! i thought i share i here if maybe someone have the same issues. it turned out to that there was a extra pin on the tesla charger modules i needed to connect. on the github from Damien in the Tesla-Gen3-Charger folder is a pinout diagram, but pin 4 is not mentioned on this so i didn't connect this. this appears to be the enable pin, i fount this out true a old video from Damien from 4 years ago.
after connecting this wire the charger started to give a nice humming sound and everything seems to work like it should be working!
m.art.y

Post by m.art.y »

nathaniel wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:40 pm after connecting this wire the charger started to give a nice humming sound and everything seems to work like it should be working!
Hi, just wanted to ask how much AC current are you able to request per module and how much DC current that gives you and if charger keeps the currents stable and not dropping to ~1.5A and then ramping to full power every few seconds?
nathaniel

Post by nathaniel »

hi,
i haven't tested that yet, only some small currents on the bench. as soon as the charger is in the car i will push it and test is some more. but sinds people have succes with the charger i suspect it will work fine, if not then i have to debug some more:)