OEM Pre-charge and Contactor boards

Introduction and miscellaneous that we haven't created categories for, yet
TheSilverBuick

OEM Pre-charge and Contactor boards

Post by TheSilverBuick »

Before I go hoard some of these, is there a reason we don't see many Prius, Leaf, Tesla(?), etc pre-charge and contactor setups moved into home built cars? Do they rely on PWM's instead of economizers? Lack amp carrying capacity? Other issue? If its amp limited, could a pair be paralleled? Seems like they would be usefully compact when having multiple battery boxes.

Here is a Prius one, the relay is rated at 400v and appears to have a current sensor on it.
Need to learn. Starting from the basics.
RetroZero

Re: OEM Pre-charge and Contactor boards

Post by RetroZero »

I'm running prius setup with adapter board. Just need to be aware of voltage and current limits with Toyota hardware. Normally HV battery side is limited up to 300vdc by converter, so contacters are lower rated than leaf or tesla I suppose.
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

im using the leaf contactor board. these boards/ boxes are great! but just like retrozero said, you need to watch the voltage and current limitations.
https://bratindustries.net/ leaf motor couplers, adapter plates, custom drive train components
RetroZero

Post by RetroZero »

Looks OEM too, and I think we need to go that way if we want easier homologations.
TheSilverBuick

Post by TheSilverBuick »

RetroZero wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:30 am I'm running prius setup with adapter board. Just need to be aware of voltage and current limits with Toyota hardware. Normally HV battery side is limited up to 300vdc by converter, so contacters are lower rated than leaf or tesla I suppose.
That was my thoughts on it. I already have a Prius one at home to play with and a ~144v Honda Hybrid battery pack with a pre-charge/contactor setup on it that I'm going to use for higher voltage testing and test out using the Yaris inverter for charging.

The Prius pre-charge relay states right on it "400v" though we know the car runs on sub-300v.

I'll take a look at the Leaf ones, is there a stated voltage rating on the Leaf ones? 600v? I'm inclined to use OEM hardware versus trusting myself to assemble from scratch. At least up to the point I high a amperage or voltage limitation.
Need to learn. Starting from the basics.