Can bus lcd dash

Introduction and miscellaneous that we haven't created categories for, yet
slociviccoupe

Can bus lcd dash

Post by slociviccoupe »

Seing if anyone has put together a can bus digital dash that works with the openinverter boards. I know ive seen few posts people making digital or lcd dashes for their own projects but wondering if anything out that would be able to hook up can bus to the openinverter board and display usefull paramaters or things in a gauge type format. Also if anything similar exists or integratable with the battery pack. Be able to have just overall pack voltage and amps to send to the same gauge.

I currently have an aem cd-7 lcd dash that has dual can bus. It is configurable can bus so should be able to interface with the openinverter board. I will admit im not so great with programming and software. I can wire things and fabricate but gui's and software not my strong points. Thus the reason for this topic. See if anyone has such a device that can be purchased or built with help.
I think it would be a great item. Especially if the can bus dash had analog and digital inputs. The e-throttle pedal could be input at the gauge along with the brake switch input and the f-n-r switch and maybe some analog pots for variable regen and power levels. But then just simple can wires going to the inverter. Only outputs from inverter being for the contactors, cooling pump, ect.
Doig5710

Re: Can bus lcd dash

Post by Doig5710 »

Very keen on this idea, I am in a similar situation and was thinking of running some sort of pdm to do lighting, water pumps, fans and power supplies etc then a link ecu to do safety functions, throttle, factory dash gauges, etc and finally a dash either a cd7 or a ecumaster adu7 for all my info to be displayed then lots of can bus interfacing between things which I'm allowing to take some time to get it all correct but should be good in the end.
slociviccoupe

Post by slociviccoupe »

Im working on a performance hybrid. With my transmission choice have to run the maxx ecu race ecu for engine and transmission controls. The ecu will use my throttle input from my epedal. Will get brake input also through ecu. Ecu will hopefully be able to output through a load request or tq map my assist and regen signals over can bus to the prius gen 3 inverter with the openinverter drop in board.

My cd7 will display my engine data over can bus but would also be nice to see the electric motor (honda ima motor) and inverter info on the dash as well. Pack info would also be nice.

This will be very steep learning curve for me as i dont know can bus well. Ive read and read about it but havent done it on the bench infront of me yet.

Good thing i guess is there are few companies including aem that offer analog to can modules that allow can bus expansion or sensor integration . Im sure the "fuel level gauge" input could be used with an isolated voltage divider circuit to give pack voltage or state of charge. Again that would be another very usefull circuit or device is something that measures pack voltage and outputs a variable resistance like a fuel sender.
Doig5710

Post by Doig5710 »

Most bms units have some sort of canbus depending on type, even if it was a leaf bms you could program either the ecu or dash canbus to read all the individual voltages and display min - max type things. I'm still in the buying phase and waiting for my engineer to have some time to mount the engine and rear shocks before the cage goes in so a while away yet.
slociviccoupe

Post by slociviccoupe »

Anyone attempted prius prime bms? Possibly pack im going to use. Or the lto scib cells.
Guess my option is the orion bms