UK IVA Modifications

Introduction and miscellaneous that we haven't created categories for, yet
EV_Builder

Re: UK IVA Modifications

Post by EV_Builder »

rstevens81 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:36 am There is no requirement for abs...
Indeed no requirement but if fitted it needs to work, that was my point. And "work" might mean proof me that it still works correctly since newer cars are heavyly software / parameter driven.

Now a mini from 99 won't have it like many older conversions. And i agree with you that an IVA will be well possible.

issues may arrise when converting never cars. That was my point. Power steering you tackled correctly.
If you re-use OEM you are quite an end on the right path.

What are requirements in the IVA for EMC? And for the HV components?
Converting an Porsche Panamera
see http://www.wdrautomatisering.nl for bespoke BMS modules.
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

rstevens81 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:36 am based on the detailed guide (as posted by tom): https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... hicles.pdf ...

There is no requirement for abs...

power steering looks very similar

I would not expect it to be that hard for Bitsilly to get an IVA for his mini particularly as the car was in production till 99 (im not suggesting he would pass first time), but there is nothing that would shout i'm more dangerous than a home built Haynes 7.

most stuff isn't needed for an IVA i.e airbags etc, you have to remember that all an IVA is a super MOT for kit cars, there are rules about external fittings like wing mirrors (basically so you cant clip someone and drag them along etc) so you might have to change them for the test but nothing that would stop an old car from being put back on the road, the duel circuit brake system might mean you need to re plumb your brakes with a valve that triggers when 1 one starts to leak, but all in all quite minor.

the hardest part is the HV battery although i believe janosch has done this a few times with his taxis (quoted below)

To re iterate what i have said previously
1. don't drill any holes if you can
2. if you cant its an IVA but that not the end of the world you'll probably be out of pocket by an extra £1500-£2500.
Hi guys
As I have removed the cubby box from under the boot of my 2004 Freelander (only held in by a few spot welds) to make space for a battery box I suspect I may need to get an IVA.
I had thought it would be around £200 to have it tested so wasn't too concerned but if it was to be £1500 to £2500 then I'd be very concerned.
Thankfully I have only been working on a test mule car and have yet to transfer everything to the real car so I can change anything I need to.
I will probably make changes to the battery supports under the bonnet to avoid drilling the frame rails as drilling holes is a theme here. :o

The biggest unknown for me is I am in Northern Ireland so I everything could be easier or harder for me and I won't know until I try. :?
I'm going to make a phone call in a few weeks when my work calms down so will update then.
I need a bigger hammer!
rstevens81

Post by rstevens81 »

Alibro wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:17 pm The biggest unknown for me is I am in Northern Ireland so I everything could be easier or harder for me and I won't know until I try. :?
I'm going to make a phone call in a few weeks when my work calms down so will update then.
i am going to say both at the same time :D your still UK so everything is still done through DVLA, you could always export it to someone in Ireland get it registered then reimport it as electric :D

It was never going to be £200, realistically it is as follows £450+vat (540), possible retest £90+vat (108), then £750 for electrical test.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -iva-tests
janosch wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:11 pm Licensing it elsewhere and importing is a good idea, the certification agencies are in competition with each other in principle.
It is a quite common practice. I think pre-Brexit it would have been a tad easier than it is now, but who knows, maybe someone can find a path?

I don't know why people are talking about battery box certifications, we didn't have to do that:

The path for this that we found is:
  1. MOT
  2. write a report about electrical compliance (this is pages and pages of literature and boring writing)
  3. get an appointment for an electrical safety inspection for ~£750 and get a certificate
  4. submit all of this to get an IVA appointment ~£400
  5. pass the IVA appointment
Rule 1 of EV Club is don't buy a rust bucket....
Which rule does everyone forget 🤪
EV_Builder

Post by EV_Builder »

rstevens81 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:32 pm export it to someone in Ireland get it registered then reimport it as electric :D
Be careful; imports might be needed to pass inspection again; the cars won't have EU Type approval anymore after a engine swap.
Converting an Porsche Panamera
see http://www.wdrautomatisering.nl for bespoke BMS modules.
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

rstevens81 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:32 pm i am going to say both at the same time :D your still UK so everything is still done through DVLA, you could always export it to someone in Ireland get it registered then reimport it as electric :D

It was never going to be £200, realistically it is as follows £450+vat (540), possible retest £90+vat (108), then £750 for electrical test.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -iva-tests
LOL, :D I suspect you're right if the DVLA is involved. :o

I hoped to put a load of battery modules under the boot floor so I could reduce the loss of space in the boot but to do so required removing the cubby hole. I'll still make the call to the guys in DVLA but if this is a deal breaker for them then the box is going in the boot.

I thought I read somewhere a basic IVA was £200 but maybe I missed something.
I need a bigger hammer!
Wibber

Post by Wibber »

Concerning the need to get the battery pack checked to get through IVA, if you use the battery pack completely unaltered, could you use the original manufacturers certification? If it's a safety check on the battery pack then using an OEM battery should be as safe as you can get! Here's hoping otherwise the cost blows the idea of electric kit cars out of the water - mine first!
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

Wibber wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:17 pm Concerning the need to get the battery pack checked to get through IVA, if you use the battery pack completely unaltered, could you use the original manufacturers certification? If it's a safety check on the battery pack then using an OEM battery should be as safe as you can get! Here's hoping otherwise the cost blows the idea of electric kit cars out of the water - mine first!
There are not many situations where the battery pack from one car will fit another.
If you avoid major modifications (drilling or cutting any part of the chassis/monocoque) an IVA is not required
I need a bigger hammer!
Wibber

Post by Wibber »

Unfortunately I’m build a car from scratch (bought part built kit car…and then spent years re building better) so will definitely need to pass an IVA test. Wondering whether the ECE R100 test will destroy the kit car industry once you can’t register ICE cars. Hoping that OEM battery packs may be the solution.