Vehicle to Load (V2L)

Introduction and miscellaneous that we haven't created categories for, yet
jalovick

Vehicle to Load (V2L)

Post by jalovick »

Hi,

With Damien's boards for the Prius inverter, I believe they can be configured to use MG1 for charging, but I was wondering if it's possible for it to work the other way around, can the MG1 interface be used to provide power, similar to the V2L systems on new vehicles like the Hyundai Ioniq 5?

I'd assume that it would need to either be manually enabled via software, or when a custom a Type 2 to 240V socket via a breaker with a specific resistance of some other method, and configured with an upper limit like 2400W or 3600W (perhaps tracked by the CT clamps on the port).

Thanks

Jamie
johu
Site Admin

Re: Vehicle to Load (V2L)

Post by johu »

There is such a software for the Gen2 inverter: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1368

Could be adapted to run on the second chip of the Dual Prius Gen3 board.

You do need some magnetics to filter the inverter output but otherwise it's just that.
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
jalovick

Post by jalovick »

I have a couple of use cases for such a device, to pull power out of a converted vehicle, but it's also looking more and more like I'll be able to use a Gen 3 Prius C/Yaris/Auris inverter with a dual gen 3 board (if there is one to fit the Prius C inverter) and use it to replace the onboard charger on a Mitsubishi i-MiEV to use as a charger, DC to DC, and AC inverter. The current on-board charger is only good for 240V 15A/3600W, I'd love to be able to charge at up to 22 kW on 3 phase. It would just need to emulate the existing CAN messages that the car expects.
arber333

Post by arber333 »

jalovick wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:36 am I have a couple of use cases for such a device, to pull power out of a converted vehicle, but it's also looking more and more like I'll be able to use a Gen 3 Prius C/Yaris/Auris inverter with a dual gen 3 board (if there is one to fit the Prius C inverter) and use it to replace the onboard charger on a Mitsubishi i-MiEV to use as a charger, DC to DC, and AC inverter. The current on-board charger is only good for 240V 15A/3600W, I'd love to be able to charge at up to 22 kW on 3 phase. It would just need to emulate the existing CAN messages that the car expects.
I have thought a lot about our house. I recently got 5kW hybrid inverter. Its input voltage limit is 450Vdc and it is designed to work with 48V battery inhouse and it can output 5kVA of 230Vac. I think i will try to connect input to my car via solar connectors on 6mm2 wires. If that works i can further speculate on its use... Charging the car is another matter. Better done via AC i think.
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

jalovick wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:36 am I have a couple of use cases for such a device, to pull power out of a converted vehicle, but it's also looking more and more like I'll be able to use a Gen 3 Prius C/Yaris/Auris inverter with a dual gen 3 board (if there is one to fit the Prius C inverter) and use it to replace the onboard charger on a Mitsubishi i-MiEV to use as a charger, DC to DC, and AC inverter. The current on-board charger is only good for 240V 15A/3600W, I'd love to be able to charge at up to 22 kW on 3 phase. It would just need to emulate the existing CAN messages that the car expects.
Yes should be possible though I'm not sure about 22 kW. I built a charger based on Prius components and while the power electronics a definitely capable of 22 kW or more, the control loop isn't. I've taken it up to 15 kW but then "dents" from rectified 3-phase become so harsh that the breaker trips after a while.
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
jalovick

Post by jalovick »

johu wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:15 am Yes should be possible though I'm not sure about 22 kW. I built a charger based on Prius components and while the power electronics a definitely capable of 22 kW or more, the control loop isn't. I've taken it up to 15 kW but then "dents" from rectified 3-phase become so harsh that the breaker trips after a while.
While 22 kW would be ideal, anything about the standard 3.6 kW would be of benefit. 11 kW/16A may be a better target on 3 phase and 7.2 kW/32A on a single phase should be achievable?

The other alternative is to find an existing EV charger from another vehicle that has 3 phase charging and DC to DC and modify that.

Thanks

Jamie