Toyota Prius Gen 2 Inverter Controller

Topics concerning the Toyota and Lexus inverter drop in boards
johnspark

Re: Toyota Prius Gen 2 Inverter Controller

Post by johnspark »

Don't know if this has been done before, but i just measured Cs and Ls of the inverter, please find in pdf attached

kind regards to all.
Prius Inverter HV Schematic Gen2.pdf
(142.81 KiB) Downloaded 192 times
konstantin8818

Post by konstantin8818 »

IT WORKS :D
There was some parameter, firmware wasn't happy about.
OCURLIM was 300(for some reason it's unit is Amps, but maximum is ~63000, there is a mistake I believe) I've changed it to 3000 and DESAT error disappeared. Now when I power up the board, it switches on precharge, then it a fracture of a second closes main contactor. Then I press strt and precharge deactivates. And car is good to go :D
TheSilverBuick

Post by TheSilverBuick »

Awesome!
Need to learn. Starting from the basics.
kiwifiat

Post by kiwifiat »

konstantin8818 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:47 am Damien is a true 80 lvl troll :D
20200705_104201.jpg

Also for some reason FLT pin missing as well. Damien can you please tell why?
Great progress. What do you mean by missing? Main contactor output from the bluepill is clearly connected to logic level mosfet IC5 on both the schematic and the PCB. Have you tested IC5? Apply 5V to the gate and the relay should close, remember it is a low side switch to ground not a 12V output.
konstantin8818

Post by konstantin8818 »

kiwifiat wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:13 pm What do you mean by missing? Main contactor output from the bluepill is clearly connected to logic level mosfet IC5 on both the schematic and the PCB. Have you tested IC5? Apply 5V to the gate and the relay should close, remember it is a low side switch to ground not a 12V output.
I mean that pin, which soldered to a BluePill board and connects to black plastic connector, soldered to logic board. It was missing, I found this out with a multimeter - there was no contact at all, pin was clearly cut out with nippers. I've inserted missing pin and now it works fine. :)
kiwifiat

Post by kiwifiat »

konstantin8818 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:20 pm
kiwifiat wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:13 pm What do you mean by missing? Main contactor output from the bluepill is clearly connected to logic level mosfet IC5 on both the schematic and the PCB. Have you tested IC5? Apply 5V to the gate and the relay should close, remember it is a low side switch to ground not a 12V output.
I mean that pin, which soldered to a BluePill board and connects to black plastic connector, soldered to logic board. It was missing, I found this out with a multimeter - there was no contact at all, pin was clearly cut out with nippers. I've inserted missing pin and now it works fine. :)
Well spotted, I need a trip to the optometrist!
konstantin8818

Post by konstantin8818 »

OK, I was going to make a video today about new test with 105 volts and water cooling.... but I was really struggling to make car move... :( it became sluggish, and every time I was trying to accelerate it was accelerating at the beginning, but then immidiately lost power and motor was doing knocking sounds. While I was teying to tweak it, suddenly it become weaker and weaker and then it stopped to do anything.
If I whait a little with board switched off, then turn it on, if I press accelerator it only kicks a little and then again motor only doing knockibg sounds and they fading untill compleete silence... =( Don't know what I've done. Cooling might doing a good work keeping inverter cool, motor heat up slightly, nothing special...
I was tweaking FWEAK, set it almost to 170Hz, car was smooth but slow. Need to check inverter in manual mode, only I can do it no earlyer then next week.
Error poped up is "WARN - THROTTLE 1"
Isaac96

Post by Isaac96 »

Can you look at the value of 'pot' at full pedal and zero pedal? Make sure it is close to the values of potmin and potmax (Change those if necessary).
Also watch 'potnom' and make sure it also follows the pedal.

-Isaac
konstantin8818

Post by konstantin8818 »

Isaac96 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:04 pm Can you look at the value of 'pot' at full pedal and zero pedal? Make sure it is close to the values of potmin and potmax (Change those if necessary).
Also watch 'potnom' and make sure it also follows the pedal.

-Isaac
After this problem occurred, I was monitoring throttle input. My potmin is 2100 potmax is max 4095. Pot is reading good, but potnom isn't changing at all, stays at 0%

.... OK, I might be an idiot... need to check... :? When I dismantled inverter, I looked into place where phase wires come out from motor and go danger close (5-6mm) to metal frame, and I've seen black spots on white wires right at that place where they closest to frame... Motor is attached to subframe and moves with it when under acceleration or slowing down... I might had shortcirquit in phase wires... but magic smoke somehow is still inside inverter...
imwoody36

Post by imwoody36 »

Jack Bauer wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:44 am Again I'm going to recommend people use the new controller for running the Gen 2 inverter :
https://openinverter.org/shop/index.php ... duct_id=63
But if you must the gerbers for my board are on github:
https://github.com/damienmaguire/Prius-Gen-2-Inverter
It won't be available from me any more.
got my new controller, the link for support on the shopping page seems to be the old version?

https://openinverter.org/docs

where can I find the pinouts and names of the signals for the new board
Attachments
20200710_163356.jpg
the priustoric boatcar guy
MattsAwesomeStuff

Post by MattsAwesomeStuff »

imwoody36 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:27 pmgot my new controller, the link for support on the shopping page seems to be the old version?

where can I find the pinouts and names of the signals for the new board
I think you're confused.

There are two separate projects.

One is Damien's first proof of concept Blue Pill boards.

The other is Johannes' bespoke Gen 2 board and kit.

In the post from Damien that you quoted, he is linking to two different projects. First he suggests people not buy his but instead buy the kit Johannes recently created. Then he says if you're insisting on using his proof of concept Blue Pill boards, here is the link to the documentation for his.

When I follow the link you posted to Johannes' shopping page, there are no links to Damien's version on it.

So I'm not sure what you've purchased or from whom.

Did you buy from EVBMW.com or OpenInverter.org?
imwoody36

Post by imwoody36 »

yes, I was( am) confused, thank you for the clarification.
I purchased from Johannes and the more expensive option whatever that is.
my board is new as of june 2020 and says "openinverter.org prius gen2 rev1.0" (c) 2020 johannes huebner on the silkscreen
im just dizzy from looking at wikis and forums.
surely there is a page showing the pin locations and names of signals for this board?
RetroZero

Post by RetroZero »

Check the Gen2 Adapter Board link. The pinout sheet is normally with the board too. Mine was stuck to the bottom of the packaging box.
imwoody36

Post by imwoody36 »

update. found this on another forum heading and also thanks to others on this forum
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=701&start=90

from johu a callout
johnspark

Post by johnspark »

RetroZero wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:40 pm I had to look up UDC first to understand - it's the User Defined Code? Which is the algorithm for voltage sensing? My system is based on - 230v/65Ah (fully charged). EU 240v 16A house plug for overnight recharge compatible.
Ok, I understand now that sensing the "inverter capacitor voltage" is about monitoring output on pin 12. As the output voltage is around 1% (and not 10% as I incorrectly calculated it..) of High Voltage (battery voltage) it needs to be below 330V to not damage the 3.3V circuit. If not, a voltage devider circuit needs to be intalled in place of standard voltage sensing. Sound about right?
Does anyone know what the battery voltage is allowed to reach without hurting the Gen 2 inverter? i have found in an Oak Ridge report that they used 233 Volts throughout their testing. I would like to use a battery pack which would be 309.6 volts fully charged, that might reach 313.9 volts during charging. I am aware this voltage will simultaneously appear across the inverter, converter, air conditioner and DC/DC converter circuitry within the Gen 2 unit.

((PSS: apologies before hand if someone has already answered this question))
(PS: spent a few hours today looking through many posts of this forum and other bits and pieces i have to see if this question has already been answered, but could not find anything straightforward to answer my question)
RetroZero

Post by RetroZero »

Hi John, what I wrote and the questions I asked were so off subject (that's what happens to newbies)
UDC = Direct Current Voltage
The DC-DC converter doesn't regulate according to HV battery, it just provides 14v when switched on (via pin 12, I think)
Damiens been running his E39 on 300 plus volts (from memory) with Gen 3 Inverter. The Deranged Rover too. So that should answer your question. 😁
I personally will stick to Manufacturer's values where possible due to very high compliance fees where I live. The more stock standard, the lower the overall costs to register...
I am thinking of a parallel set-up at 201V, but BMS is more complicated, again, compliance testing fees.
johnspark

Post by johnspark »

i think you asked some interesting questions Retro, no worries.
i just took your comments and asked if anyone happens to know if the battery input for Gen 2 can handle greater than 233V, 'hopefully' up to 319 volts.

For example, we know that the Gen 3 can be modified to handle higher volts by changing the two sets of resistors in the DC/DC 12V converter as JB / DM has kindly shown us.

So fingers cross, the Gen 2 can handle higher volts, perhaps by changing a resistor or two .

kind regards,
SciroccoEV

Post by SciroccoEV »

johnspark wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:08 am I just took your comments and asked if anyone happens to know if the battery input for Gen 2 can handle greater than 233V, 'hopefully' up to 319 volts.
The battery (boost converter) input can only handle a peak of 20Kw, so why would you be using it?
TheSilverBuick

Post by TheSilverBuick »

SciroccoEV wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:14 pm
johnspark wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:08 am I just took your comments and asked if anyone happens to know if the battery input for Gen 2 can handle greater than 233V, 'hopefully' up to 319 volts.
The battery (boost converter) input can only handle a peak of 20Kw, so why would you be using it?
My understanding is on the Gen3 inverter, using the different battery input points was to by-pass the boost converter because the converter's kw limitation. How does the Gen2 inverter handle "extra" power going in? Or is even MG2 limited by the 20kw converter on the Gen2?

This exact thing has been a question mark in my knowledge for a while, why the Gen3 needed to have the battery input mounts re-located but not the Gen2?
celeron55

Post by celeron55 »

There's room inside the gen 2 to attach power directly to the capacitor without external modifications. The boost converter is bypassed there too.

If you completely short out the converter and use a low enough voltage (prius 400V, yaris 300V?), you can do the same on gen 3.
TheSilverBuick

Post by TheSilverBuick »

Ah, I had not caught that the battery connection point in the Gen2 is relocated. Back over to research I go. Thanks!
RetroZero

Post by RetroZero »

If I understand the what you are saying celeron55, even with 'orignal' prius battery voltage (201v) we are limited to 20Kw?
That means, the remaining power is generated internally with the help of Mg1 to boost to 600volts?
That means, either bypassing converter or reusing MG1 for its original purpose?
johnspark

Post by johnspark »

SciroccoEV wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:14 pm
I would like to use the Gen 2 inverter for battery charging but only up to perhaps 7kW max. So would like to use MG1 or 2 for input from house supply, then use Converter DC/DC to drop DC to voltage suitable for battery charging.
RetroZero

Post by RetroZero »

TheSilverBuick wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:36 pm Ah, I had not caught that the battery connection point in the Gen2 is relocated. Back over to research I go. Thanks!
Me too, I was planning on using original HV cables directly to inverter, to not have to "comply" with yet another modification.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

You can do that just jump the booster inside the cover.
I'm going to need a hacksaw