Where would an absolute novice begin ? Topic is solved

Technogummybear

Where would an absolute novice begin ?

Post by Technogummybear »

So I got into evs when I was driven shotgun in my uncle's tesla plaid a few months ago, and ever since I've been reading up on available material. Problem is that most of the lingo seems to be tailored to the use of electrical engineers/big-brainers and it's hard to find a source of information of a particular set of motor/s, inverter, charger combination. A step-by-step guide if you will.
I understand the fact the volts/amps the batteries can put out are dangerous, which is why I plan on gaining all the necessary knowledge before I get started. The plan is to do this in 2-3 years by then I'll be done with my medical internship and I'll be able to (hopefully) fund this fascination.
I've read the getting started pages here but I'm pretty sure that information isnt enough, so I'd like to ask the veterans here to be so kind as to guide me to knowledge sources. I recently found out about Damien and his ev conversions. He explains things in details but I believe his audience is one that does already have their basics down.
The dream is to have a rwd leaf motor ev with about a 150-200 mile range and 300-350hp. Some people have quoted that the E57 leaf motor can make 190kw so maybe adding the read drive unit from a hybrid outlander would get me those hp/torque numbers. The leaf motor has its own inverter and charger that comes with it (if you source it that way) but would the inverter be able to also run the outland rear drive unit to something like a 80kw(the 2018 if I'm not mistaken) ​?
I think (from my research) the first gen leaf battery is about 30kw and gives about 170km of range so by putting two in parallel that would help me reach my mileage goal. As far as I can tell batteries are going to be the biggest expense but again as far as I can tell I can get to my mileage goals in steps and I'll be staying away from the tesla modules as they are priced so horribly.
LRBen

Re: Where would an absolute novice begin ?

Post by LRBen »

I would recommend starting with something a little smaller to get your head around the basics. An Ebike conversion can be a good place to start if you have no experience at all. All the basic systems are there but smaller, and messing up isn't that bad at 36v compared to 360v.

As for the dream idea, while Leaf motors have been capable of outputting 300HP that was with a custom inverter. If you are set on that sort of power it's probably far easier to go with a Tesla large drive. Although since you want to start this project in 2-3 years time it's probably best not to set anything in stone or go buying anything. I think the second hand EV component market will be a different place in 2-3 years as more and more EV's get broken down for parts. I think Model 3 motors might end up being reasonable given the numbers being produced, and a plaid is just three model 3 motors squished into one car.
Gregski

Re: Where would an absolute novice begin ?

Post by Gregski »

the Good Enuff Garage explains things to you as if you were 8 years old and is Damien Maguire with half his brain tied behind his back, same crappy camera work for that nostalgic feel and 200% more sarcasm

[media]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV6V5R ... cMaAwHH2Ug[/media]

"I don't need to understand how it works, I just need to understand how to make it work!" ~ EV Greg