[WIP] L322 RR Vogue - The beached whale

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
nkiernan

Re: L322 RR Vogue - The beached whale

Post by nkiernan »

Cooling:

Looking at the GS450H transmission cooling, the RR gearbox cooler can be repurposed here neatly
C001.JPG

Straight reducers to mate the RR coolant hose size to the GS450H hose sizes
C002.JPG

Cooler mounts to the transmission mounting frame under the GS450H gearbox
C003.JPG

Straight banjo bolts run the coolant hoses too close to the transmission so will replace with a 15 or 30 degree option. Will also add a clamp or two to keep the coolant hoses from rubbing on the frame
C004.JPG
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

HVJB:

Quick layer of foam tape before mounting the aluminium enclosure
HV001.JPG

Multi pin connector, 12V terminals from the PCS and coolant bulkheads fit
HV002.JPG

Test fitting more of the Tesla Model 3 penthouse connectors
HV003.JPG

PCS roughly mounted in place
HV005.JPG

Next up is finalising the layout for the contactors and fuses
HV007.JPG
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

HVJB:

Finalising the overall layout of components for the HVJB and battery box junction boxes
HV011.png
HV012.png
HV013.png
HV014.png

HVJB back-plate layout
HV016.png
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

Inverter:

Some smaller niggly jobs to get through lately. First up I wanted to sort the DC inputs to the inverter and figure our a handy way to seal these off while having enough access for the cable glands I was using. There have been some neat 3D printed versions on the forum but not having immediate access to a printer, I had to work with what I had lying around.

There is a metal flat picking up mounting points on the inverter and this has M6 threaded studs to mount the aluminium junction box. The JB has a gasket sealed front plate and there will be sealant between the metal flat and the inverter as well as between the flat and the JB, which should mean a fully sealed connection point.

Inv001.JPG
Inv002.JPG
Inv003.JPG
Inv004.JPG
Inv005.JPG

The inverter will sit in a 25mm angle frame that doubles as the spacer between the front differential and the gearbox base frame. The frame is lined with 6mm rubber and has four tie down points to pick up on brackets that mount to existing M6 mounting holes on the inverter

Inv006.JPG

Inverter mounting bracket at one end

Inv007.JPG
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

Battery Boxes:

Slight change in direction for the battery box mounts. Using six high tensile 40mm axle U-bolts per battery box which hang from a sub-frame under the car. Each battery box holds two TM3 modules at 59Kg each, so each battery box will be in the region of 150Kg complete.

The old mounting straps that were tacked in place for testing were removed
027bb.JPG
028bb.JPG

New straps folded and ready to go
029bb.JPG
030bb.JPG
031bb.JPG

New straps with gussets tacked in place for test mount
032bb.JPG
033bb.JPG

Two battery boxes sit neatly leaving a center channel for the rear prop shaft running from the transfer case. Transfer case will sit just in front of the battery boxes, and its mounting frame will incorporate a tube bullbar to protect the lower front edges of the battery boxes. Underside of the battery boxes sit higher than the lower suspension arms. Would have been great if they sat a little higher up into the chassis. Separate front and rear motors would leave great space underneath for more batteries!
034bb.JPG
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

Driveline:

Have been looking at the connection between the GS450H gearbox output and the RR transfer case input. Ideally I'd hard mount both similar to how the original RR gearbox and transfer case were mounted, but with the location of the front differential and axle, the GS450H gearbox sits slightly offset from the transfer case axis.

This will require a short (approx. 320mm) driveshaft which can accommodate the center axes being slightly offset. For now I'm going to fabricate this to test how it will fit and run, and once I'm happy with it, I can see about getting an equivalent suitable for the torque.

After a lot of searching, found some scrap Range Rover rear diff CV's and axle/prop stubs
012dc.JPG

CV cups will be fabricated to the GS450H gearbox output and RR transfer case input shafts
013dc.JPG
014dc.JPG

Approx length of the required drive shaft
015dc.JPG
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

Driveline:

Time to weigh the drive motor sub-assembly! This assembly sits on four anti-vibration mounts on the chassis, and includes the GS450H gearbox, the GS450H inverter, the gearbox oil pump controller, gearbox oil cooler, the RR front differential and the RR RHS axle bearing support tube

M010.JPG
M011.JPG

All in, 208.65Kg wet. The engine, including the front diff was approx. 320Kg
M012.JPG

Ready to drop into its new home!
M013.JPG

But first, will connect up the Zombieverter and looms to make sure the accelerator and brake pedal inputs are working and the gearbox can still be controlled. originally I was using the GS450H EVBMW VCU. Once everything is confirmed working, the loom tidying process can begin
M014.JPG
SuperV8

Post by SuperV8 »

Wow, awesome update - very interesting.
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

Power Steering:

Time to look at some of the ancillaries, and spent too long looking at options for location and orientation of the electric steering pump! The RR air filter housing mounts on three rubber mounts and decided to reuse these and make a multi purpose mount

S001.JPG
S002.JPG

Mounting holes for the 'cut' down Astra steering pump bracket
S003.JPG
S004.JPG
S005.JPG

This sits the steering pump behind the front left headlight leaving plenty of room to replace bulbs and leaves an overhang on the bracket that might take the AC compressor or water heater...
S006.JPG
S007.JPG
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

Electrics:

Getting ready to test the Zombieverter VCU. Originally had the GS450H gearbox and inverter running with the EVBMW GS450H VCU but haven't had it run with the Zombie VCU yet. Have the Range Rover accelerator and brake pedals connected and also wired into the engine bay fuse box to use its spare fuses and relays.

60V PSU supplying the DC power to start, 'safety' bulb set up, and test the ISA, contactors and pre-charge are functioning before building it into the HVJB...and maybe brave the full TM3 pack voltage...

E001.JPG
E002.JPG
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

Electrics:

Was hoping to get the vcu controlling the motors this weekend but still some troubleshooting to work through...close but not quite! Now have the RR's key ignition/start controls and accelerator and brake pedal signals all coming through and calibrated in the vcu. No blown bulbs for the vcu and dummy HV power up tests. At ignition start, the HV- and pre-charge contactors close, pre-charge works and the the HV+ contactor closes sending HV on to the inverter. The ISA shunt is also accurately reading voltage and transmitting on the correct CAN channel.

Have been able to upload a new '.bin' over wifi (Android phone, didn't chance Windows 10 yet) and working on getting my setup able to compile '.bin' files (thanks to Johu's help :D ). The wifi web interface is working too. Only issue to sort out now is why the inverter 12V power relay is not closing, if its an error with the ground path, the wiring or the vcu is just not commanding the relay to close.

E003.JPG
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

Transfer Case:

Will be keeping the OEM transfer case at this point. It's tightly integrated into the CAN bus and a number of controls in the center console that I want to keep and use. It has its own control unit. A control motor on the transfer case adjusts drive between front and rear. Not sure if it could be possible to achieve 100% drive front or rear to be able to select front or rear wheel drive only! Doubt that but will find out soon.

Started with the original transfer case mounting frame. This supported the tail end of the engine/gearbox/transfer case assembly
TC001.JPG
TC002.JPG

The battery boxes eat into the original space where the frame was located, so testing some redesign of the frame and moving the transfer case forward
TC003.JPG

There are four reinforced threaded mounts available in the chassis rails to take the rubber bushed mounts on the frame. Test fit looks good and frame can act as a protector for the front edge of the battery boxes
TC004.JPG

Will roughly mount the transfer case in the mocked up frame and test fitting and clearances for the battery boxes etc. before tidying up and finishing the frame and mounts
TC005.JPG
TC006.JPG
TC007.JPG
TC008.JPG
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

BMS:

Excited to see that logo on the latest delivery!
DSC_7670.JPG

Orion 2 BMS from ZeroEV 8-)
DSC_7676.JPG
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

Batteries:

These TM3 batteries are awkward to handle without a second pair of hands, even being the shorter length, so its been easy to let them sit there on the bench and put off any work on them! Now the BMS has arrived though, its time to make it easier to move them as they'll be in and out of the battery boxes while I tidy up some support plastics, wiring and coolant lines, so decided to make a lifting frame.

One side of each module has handy repeating ledges that held them in place so a solid frame to pick up on these made sense. The opposite side of each module had different layouts for tabs or bolt down lugs so looking at a flexible cable to wrap around these as needed to tighten the frame to the modules.

Bat001.JPG

One side of the frame slides between the module and the inside of the battery box, and a locking clamp will bolt onto the opposite side
Bat002.JPG
Bat003.JPG
Bat004.JPG
Bat005.JPG
Bat006.JPG

Coated steel wire will be fixed to the clamp end to wrap round the bolt lugs on the modules to hold the frame in place and will add some isolation rubber to protect the modules and any of those BMS wires
Bat007.JPG
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

Ancillaries: Cabin heating and Brake vacuum

Seems like a major milestone getting the drive line figured out and motors running and then you realise how many other parts and systems are required! And they all need a home, so a little head scratching to figure out how and where to put some of them

CH001.JPG

A simple cage to hole the Outlander water heater that will look after cabin heating
CH002.JPG
CH003.JPG
CH004.JPG

Where best to add that to the 'multi purpose' mounting frame I've been figuring out
CH005.JPG

This frame also holds the electric brake vacuum pump and the Audi A8 brake accumulator
CH006.JPG

And this tucks these parts away neatly to the side of the GS450H drive
CH007.JPG
CH008.JPG
CH009.JPG
CH010.JPG
KyleReace1991

Post by KyleReace1991 »

I wonder if the Plaid batteries would fit under there ? The Plaid batteries 5 modules are fitted transversely so they could fit under RR like the 3 batteries 4 flat 1 vertical(middle) model 3 motors with portal axel ends on the motors(motors tucked under), model 3 suspension grafted on ?
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

KyleReace1991 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:00 am I wonder if the Plaid batteries would fit under there ? The Plaid batteries 5 modules are fitted transversely so they could fit under RR like the 3 batteries 4 flat 1 vertical(middle) model 3 motors with portal axel ends on the motors(motors tucked under), model 3 suspension grafted on ?
I was surprised at how tight space was underneath for batteries. There are three cavities underneath (outer ones house retracting side step options and the suspension air tank etc, so the narrower chassis rails sit in further than I expected, and the taper in towards the center line of the car front and back pretty sharp. Early on I looked at a TM3 subframe and suspension parts as a bolt on option, but didn't think the alu parts would work with the size and weight of vehicle at the time, but mainly wanted to ensure I could retain the articulation of the original RR suspension. Could be done though :)
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

Odds & Ends:

Recently I've been disassembling the dry build to tidy and paint up brackets and mounts, and figuring out final locations for remaining parts.

Decided to add the Outlander A/C compressor to the main drive mounting frame assembly which works well for A/C hose routing to the cabin and radiator
DSC_8009.JPG
DSC_8010.JPG
DSC_8019.JPG

Hoping that's the last modification to this unit and its ready to drop in once I get the motors spinning. Because of the extra welding, the full loom was removed which meant I could sense check all the wiring and connections again to do some more zombie testing
DSC_8020.JPG

Figuring out the charge port mounting location and bracket. Best place looks to be behind the front grille and I'll see about doing some sort of opening in the grille to conceal it
DSC_8009asd.JPG
DSC_8012asd.JPG

Vacuum setup for brakes and cabin heater bracket painted up and ready to fit
DSC_8028.JPG
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

Battery Boxes:

Original plan for the battery box mount was to weld in a support frame between the chassis rails. With the discussions here on the forum around what's acceptable when thinking about modifications that might affect the chassis, I decided to change direction and work on a purely bolt in solution. Coincidentally, I happened to see an ad for retractable side steps in a RR forum which are a bolt on option! Looking into this further, I found I had an array of structural bolt points hidden behind rubber grommets.

So some redesign and I'm now waiting on some laser cut parts to arrive for the sub-frame
Bbox001.GIF
Bbox004.GIF
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

Transfer Case & Drive Shafts:

One of the key hurdles to progressing was the final location of the transfer case so that the front and rear prop shaft, and the motor to transfer case drive shaft details could be finalised allowing them to be sent off to be reworked. With the battery boxes final location now set, the transfer case has a new home sitting forward of where it used to sit

Started with the original mounting frame for the rear of the gearbox and transfer case
TC001.JPG

Some modifications to fit the remaining space and to use the existing rubber bushed mounting points with the structural bolt locations on the chassis
TC002.JPG

Trial fitting the transfer case in the frame and offered up to the chassis to tweak final location and angles
TC003.JPG

Location confirmed, time to add some bolt down points and build the support frame around it
TC004.JPG
TC005.JPG

A double check on fit and angle and I'll tidy up the frame and paint it later
TC006.JPG

And this is some of the detail I've been going out to different companies with to try get the prop mods and stub machining all done in the one place...has been proving difficult so far but one company is calling in tomorrow to look at it and talk through whats required...fingers crossed. This would be the last of the key mechanical work and once I get the Zombie turning the motors, I'd be close to a basic test drive!!! :D
TC007.jpg
TC008.JPG
Boxster EV

Post by Boxster EV »

The workmanship and attention to detail. 👌
Porsche 986 powered by a Tesla large drive unit. Backwards. Build documented here and Instagram @tesla_porsche here.
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

Drive Shafts:

Eagerly awaiting delivery of my modified prop shafts and new motor to transfer case drive shaft and stubs. Drive Shaft Services in Dublin sent some progress photos today and looking fantastic, can't wait to get a look at them, get them installed, and see if we can get some wheels spinning soon 8-) (Just hoping my measurements were correct :oops: )

IMG-20220722-WA0011.jpg

New GS450H output coupler on the left, transfer case input coupler on the right
IMG-20220722-WA0005.jpg
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

Battery Boxes:

A few laser cut parts arrived so got to do some work on the bolt in battery box mounting frame

BB007.JPG
BB008.JPG
BB009.JPG

Still some modifications needed to allow clearance for the rear prop shaft and to add some more bolting locations
BB010.JPG
BB011.JPG

Test fit for the first battery box
BB012.JPG

Interested to see how the rear prop shaft finally fits between these
BB013.JPG
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

Transfer Case:

After a quick turnaround and a fantastic customer service, I got my parts back from Drive Shaft Services in Dublin, so got to some work on the transfer case test fitting. With the support frame finished off and painted, the transfer case sits at the best location for clearance in the tunnel

TFC001.JPG
TFC002.JPG

New input flange for the divorced case setup
TFC003.JPG
TFC004.JPG

Lengthened rear prop shaft
TFC005.JPG
TFC006.JPG

Everything fitting well so far. Rear prop carrier bearing location will be changed slightly to help alignment, and this helps figure out the final modifications needed for the battery box carrier frame
TFC007.JPG
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

Transmission:

To connect the transmission output to the new transfer case input flange (via a new short drive shaft), the transmission also gets a modified output flange thanks to Drive Shaft Services again

DL001.JPG
DL002.JPG
DL003.JPG
DL004.JPG