[DRIVING] Porsche Boxster 986 Tesla conversion  [FINISHED]

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
tyeler18

Re: Porsche Boxster 986 Tesla conversion

Post by tyeler18 »

Boxster EV wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:13 pm

Still need to find a solution to fit electric power steering... Watch this space.
New user, but I've been lurking for info on a future project for myself. Here in the states its not uncommon to use the Prius steering column adapted into the factory columns for electric steering. I've fitted a couple of cars at this point with this system and in default mode it works really well on the street and on our track cars without being over assisted. I'm not sure how that would effect your inspection since we don't have that here, but it may be worth a look into?
canadasconvert

Post by canadasconvert »

I'm very interested in electronic power steering. My original plan was to retrofit an electric Volvo (Ford) PS hydraulic pump to the Porsche fittings. Can you provide more info on he Prius option?
Boxster EV

Post by Boxster EV »

A friend of mine has a Boxster for breaking and is intending on mocking something up to determine what needs fabricating / cutting in order for clean installation. I’ll keep this thread updated but it’s unlikely to happen for 2-3 months.
Porsche 986 powered by a Tesla large drive unit. Backwards. Build documented here and Instagram @tesla_porsche here.
canadasconvert

Post by canadasconvert »

I'm working my way through my Porsche/Tesla conversion. The car is running on the road but I have two issues (for now)
First, when I turn the ignition on, all the dash lights flash and wont stop. All the functions work (lights, horn, wipers, windows, etc.) Is this a matter of clearing faults? I did remove the computer and then put it back in again. Any suggestions would be helpful.
The second item is to get the display working. I noticed in the April 27th road test post, it looks like you have the speedometer working. In a later post I think you said you were using the fuel gauge as a hi level battery monitor. Is this something do did with CANBUS? How?
canadasconvert

Post by canadasconvert »

I have a question regarding the PS pump set up. I have a Volvo S40 C70 C30 V50 ELECTRIC POWER STEERING PUMP. I connected the #8 power cables to a 12V battery and the single 18AWG grey control wire to a switch and then to the 12V+ side of the battery. I have not connected the other two control wires. When I turn the switch on, there is a 3 sec delay and the pump starts for 1/2 second and then stops. I leave the switch on and 3 sec later the pump does the same thing. All the threads I have read say the grey wire is the non-CAN sire that will keep the pump running at about 70%. They also say to keep a 12V #8AWG power supply to the pump to keep the built in capacitors fully charged. I have connected the other two wires individually to the switch but they do not do anything. I think my pump is looking for a CAN signal to keep running. Any ideas or suggestions?
EV_Builder

Post by EV_Builder »

Suggestion: Dig up the partnumber --> the vehicle --> the schematic of said vehicle and figure out the connections.

That's my suggestion.
Converting an Porsche Panamera
see http://www.wdrautomatisering.nl for bespoke BMS modules.
Boxster EV

Post by Boxster EV »

canadasconvert wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:35 pm I'm working my way through my Porsche/Tesla conversion. The car is running on the road but I have two issues (for now)
First, when I turn the ignition on, all the dash lights flash and wont stop. All the functions work (lights, horn, wipers, windows, etc.) Is this a matter of clearing faults? I did remove the computer and then put it back in again. Any suggestions would be helpful.
The second item is to get the display working. I noticed in the April 27th road test post, it looks like you have the speedometer working. In a later post I think you said you were using the fuel gauge as a hi level battery monitor. Is this something do did with CANBUS? How?
Good news that you’ve got the car moving.

You need to be more specific about the lights flashing. It sounds like you either have an alarm issue or the battery is flat or both. Please rule out these things first - can you lock and unlock the car with the key remote?

You do not need the Porsche cartronic module (the one that’s in the boot). However you will still require the body control module which is located under one of the seats.

The Speedo will work out of the box via the ABS system so no further input there.

Gauge cluster and what the VCU controls:

I have the tach (amps) and temp gauge (inverter temp) working over CAN. They are CAN mapped from my drive unit.

The engine management light, oil light etc is also turned off over CAN from the same sketch. Likewise, the fuel gauge is powered by a retrofitted stepper motor and associated driver board.

Your best bet would be to see if Jon Volk has any mini VCUs left, buy one from him, then I’ll send you the sketch to do all of this.
Porsche 986 powered by a Tesla large drive unit. Backwards. Build documented here and Instagram @tesla_porsche here.
Boxster EV

Post by Boxster EV »

Well it’s been an interesting time of late… When I first completed the conversion give or take a few small issues, the car ran faultlessly for a year or so, which certainly led me into a false sense of security, as over the past four months it’s just been one challenge after another.

The biggest catastrophe was that my Chevy volt DCDC decided to let out the black smoke. I think it got a little damp during the winter months. I’ve since replaced it with an off-the-shelf IP67 rated unit (picture below) and relocated it nearer the HVJB for safety reasons. More seriously, when it ‘let go’, it sent a surge through the CAN BUS network taking out comms (CAN transceivers) to my VCU, ABS unit and gauge cluster. What joy!
IMG_6226.JPG
IMG_6232.JPG
The next little project was to fit the spare drive unit that I’d recently refurbished. Thread here. All seemed good initially but as documented, the rotor coolant seal continued to leak and since then I’ve sleaved the seal contact surface as a preventative measure. I’ve also drilled a small hole in the encoder chamber to monitor / dump any future leakages overboard rather than allowing them into the motor.

The key to removing the LDU quickly is having all of the tools ready ;)
IMG_6355.JPG
So pleased that I used green loctite for the drive shaft bolts last time :cry:
IMG_6357.JPG
Vacuum bleeding the system
car pic 1.JPG

The next episode was that my e-pedal sensor which is original to the car, started to fail. It would exhibit pot readings high or lower than the according pedal travel. At little disconcerting to say the least. A replacement Porsche sensor and throttle recalibration fixed this issue.

So the car was back on the road, but because a quiet life would be far too simple, I thought; I know I’ll update the inverter firmware for fun…. Nope… Car off the road for another few weeks whilst I sorted this issue. It’s also meant the drive unit had to be pulled for the third time in a year to get access to the programming pins on the logic board to manually re-load the firmware with an St-Link. At the same time I took the opportunity to start with a fresh ESP8266 wifi module to mitigate futures issues.

They say the first sign of madness is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results…. Well, in the sprit of improving this situation for my future self, I’ve modified my logic board to bring physical programming connections to the outside world, therefore if the thing freezes mid-update again, I’ll be able to re-flash it via a hardwired ST-link connection with no drama – that’s the theory anyway.
IMG_6345.JPG
I’ve also fitted these rather nifty coolant quick release valves which mean the DU can be disconnected without letting air into the coolant system.

IMG_4252.JPG
IMG_6350.JPG

Well, back on the road for now. What could go wrong next?
Skudak

Post by Skudak »

I NEED to know the part name/numbers for that coolant disconnect setup. I poorly designed my cooling system and bleeding it takes forever. This would solve some headaches!
EV_Builder

Post by EV_Builder »

oehh yeah that would be great to know indeed.
spiff

Post by spiff »

Hi All,
New to this forum and stumbled upon this thread as this is exactly what I'd like to do (except on a 987 Cayman). Boxster EV - Thank you for documenting your work in pioneering all of this!

My timeline will be in the next year to start and hopefully I'll be able to document on this forum as well.
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

Welcome to forum spiff.

I'm planning on also following suit on a 987 Boxster.

Currently just enjoying the car as it is though, with plans to get going on the EV conversion within the next year.
asavage

Post by asavage »

Skudak wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 4:01 pm I NEED to know the part name/numbers for that coolant disconnect setup. I poorly designed my cooling system and bleeding it takes forever.
Not specific to this setup, be we'd been using vacuum coolant bleeders for years to obviate the need for "high point air bleeding". I think it was working on one of the low-hood Thunderbirds that pushed me into buying this tool.

Mine uses shop air (compressed air) to draw a vacuum on the cooling system via a venturi device. Any air pockets will have their pressure reduced to "almost" nothing in a few seconds. Then you stop creating/drawing a vacuum, switch a valve, and the bleeder allows coolant to be drawn from a reservoir (your coolant jug) into the low-pressure cooling system.

Works well. The hardest part of using it is flushing the tool of coolant and drying it before stowing it for next time. Since there's a YouTube vid on everything you can think of, let me see if I can find one . . .

I have an Airlift, like in that vid.

It looks like Boxster is using one as well:

Al Savage
2014 RAV4 EV
NissanDiesel
Boxster EV

Post by Boxster EV »

A relatively small update for those interested:

I’ve been continuing to experiment with servicing and preventative maintenance of The Large Drive Unit and in fact have had some excellent exchanges on the forum in the LDU rebuild thread located here.. Although, the thread has since grown arms and legs (Google SEO now attracting Rav 4 EV and Tesla Model S owners looking to resolve their LDU issues).

The LDU I currently have in the car is now running the SKF coolant manifold seal (on a SKF Speedi sleeve). At the time of writing I’ve put about 2500 miles on it and cannot detect a single drop of coolant inside the encoder chamber. Fingers crossed it lasts – I’d happily renew the seal every 15k or so miles if necessary.

8E49C6E8-7E73-4DC1-AF8E-9CCEE95E9A3D.jpeg
F8B30759-6422-4866-BD94-4BBCDDC55C44.jpeg

In other news, some months ago I managed to replace one the Inverter gate drive PCB IGBT driver chips in a spare drive unit. You can read about that here and see the drive unit running here

The car has been driving great and has performed almost faultlessly despite being exposed to a record month of rain during early November. I think the drive unit tune is extremely close to what an OEM would achieve – super smooth in traffic with a nice linear power delivery as RPM increases. The only issue I have is that every now and again – let’s say every 250 miles, I get an overcurrent event when driving in very modest conditions – imagine gently feathering on/off the throttle – that’s when it occasionally happens. I’ve adjusted my regenramp and throtramp settings right down, but the issue persists. It NEVER happens when the DU is under load and to exemplify this, I can light up the rear wheels without ever hitting OC. Advice always welcome…

B283CFE2-6FF2-47F9-9CB0-42D05DFB2CB9.jpeg

On the OEM side of things, I’ve started to notice several failures relevant to the age of the car. Sticky door handles, faulty alarm system, worn ignition barrel, noisy rear top mounts and a grumbling rear wheel bearing (I hate changing wheel bearings). I guess this is all to be expected of a 22-year-old car that’s being daily driven and all part of the process. I’ll reserve some time over Christmas to address everything.

Overall, I cannot emphasise enough how much I continue to enjoy driving the car. It’s just brilliant and I’m grateful this community exists to make it all possible!

Lastly, our resident forum EV podcaster @bobby_come_lately asked to have a chat about the car for his channel. It is on YouTube here:

Boxster EV

Post by Boxster EV »

Answering questions from PM received.

Hello,
Read your post/journey on converting your Boxster and really appreciate the info you posted. I have a few questions as I'm considering doing something similar:
1. Did you integrate/connect to the vehicle's canbus initially when you were first driving the car to get the speedo or anything else in the gauges going?
No. The speedo will work via the ABS unit with no modifications required. Latterly once the car was running: The RPM (AMPS) and temperature (inverter temperature) work from a standalone teensy 3.2 based VCU over CAN BUS (Takes CAN signals from my LDU logic board and sends to Porsche gauges). For the fuel gauge, it works by taking inputs over CAN to the VCU then sends a signal to the cluster fuel stepper motor via an easydriver board.
I'm assuming you just tied into the ignition switch to turn on the functions of the car (lights, gauges, etc), but also keyed off of that to turn on the contactors and other startup procedures for the HV batteryBMS?
All standard functionality works without modification. The car’s OEM functionality for ‘ignition on’ and ‘start signal’ wiring is explained in page 6 of this thread.
2. When you replaced the brake booster, did you still retain ABS function? Again did you need to tie into the car somehow or tell it it was running?
ABS works via the ABS unit/pump. No. Although I have since replaced with an ibooster.
3. Other than the BMS, HV wiring, contactors, etc, was there any other processor other than the LDU inverter board that you needed in order to make the motor run?
No, but as above, for a finished build you will need a VCU to run cluster gauges and other switching such as coolant valves if required.
Trying to see if I need another speed controller board or not.

Thanks in advance!
Photo-0.jpg
spiff

Post by spiff »

From the person that asked these questions, thank you for answering so quickly and also sharing them with everyone. Your knowledge and willingness to share is much appreciated!
spiff

Post by spiff »

Sorry, one other question: Do you need the ECU/DME for the engine attached/connected?
Boxster EV

Post by Boxster EV »

spiff wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:38 am Sorry, one other question: Do you need the ECU/DME for the engine attached/connected?
Not sure if I understand your question.

You do not need the original ECU for the conversion. This is no longer required:

86FD2AA8-85BD-4861-879B-34B75B7FDD38.jpeg
janosch

Post by janosch »

Hi,

I linked to this thread from the wiki for someone looking to build a performant EV:
I want a powerful EV conversion!

Maybe you want to get involved in writing a little guide there for people who also want to build an awesome and fast EV like yours. I made a stub but I am sure its terrible! Sorry I took the photo without asking first.

This is part of, project demystification: viewtopic.php?t=2826
EV_Builder

Post by EV_Builder »

Boxster EV wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:28 am You do not need the original ECU for the conversion. This is no longer required:
Well if the car is first in it's kind / class then the engine mcy might reveal allot of canbus signals. So I'm not too sure about not needing it.

It's needed for reverse engineering purposes and not for functional purposes.
Boxster EV

Post by Boxster EV »

EV_Builder wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:57 am Well if the car is first in it's kind / class then the engine mcy might reveal allot of canbus signals. So I'm not too sure about not needing it.

It's needed for reverse engineering purposes and not for functional purposes.
I can only speak about this car (a Dec 2000 986). Post conversion, all functionality of the car is retained without the Bosch ICE motronic engine brain pictured above.
Boxster EV

Post by Boxster EV »

Received a PM regarding code for the gauges. Here it is and I hope it helps others:

Code: Select all

#include <FlexCAN.h>
#include "canmessage.h"
CAN_message_t outMsg;
CAN_message_t inMsg;
#define LSB 0
#define MSB 1
#define UNSIGNED 0
#define SIGNED 1

//Vital statistics
int16_t InverterTemp = 0;
int16_t MotorTemp = 0;
int16_t BatteryTemp = 0;
int16_t MotorSpeed = 0;
int packCurrent = 0;
int packVoltage = 0;
int tempguageval = 0;

//Fuel Guage
unsigned long gaugeresettime = 0;
int fuel_direction_pin = 15;
int fuel_fuel_step_pin = 13;
int full_sweep_steps = 385;
int desiredposition = 0;
int actualposition = 0;
int SOC = 0;

//Chevy DCDC converter
const int dcdcTargetVoltage = 14;

//Cyclic Timing Variables
elapsedMillis ms500Timer;
elapsedMillis min3Timer;
elapsedMillis ms10Timer;
const int ms10 = 10;
const int ms500 = 500;
const int min3 = 180000;

void setup() {
  Can0.begin(500000);
  CAN_filter_t allPassFilter;
  allPassFilter.id = 0;
  allPassFilter.ext = 1;
  allPassFilter.rtr = 0;
  for (int filterNum = 4; filterNum < 16; filterNum++) {Can0.setFilter(allPassFilter, filterNum);}

Serial.begin(115200);
  Serial.println("Starting up!");

pinMode(fuel_direction_pin, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(fuel_fuel_step_pin, OUTPUT);

//Ram needle against endstop to calibrate
  digitalWrite(fuel_direction_pin, HIGH);
  for (int i = 0; i <= full_sweep_steps*3; i++) {
    digitalWrite(fuel_fuel_step_pin, HIGH);
    delay(1);
    digitalWrite(fuel_fuel_step_pin, LOW);
  }
}

void loop() {
  while (Can0.available()){canread();}
  if(ms10Timer >= ms10){                  //Every 10ms
    ms10Timer = ms10Timer - ms10;
    sendRPMgauge();
    sendTempgauge();
    sendMILlight();
  }
  if(ms500Timer >= ms500){                //Every 500ms
    ms500Timer = ms500Timer - ms500;
    movefuelguageneedle();
    sendDCDCcommand();
    printStats();
  }
  if(min3Timer >= min3){                 //Every 3 minutes
    //Ram gauge against endstop every 
    //3 minutes as holding force is low
    min3Timer = min3Timer - min3;
    gaugeReset();
  }
}

void sendRPMgauge(){
  outMsg.id  = 0x280;
  outMsg.len = 8;
  outMsg.ext = 0;
  for (int i = 0; i < outMsg.len; i++) {outMsg.buf[i] = 0x00;}
  outMsg.buf[2] = lowByte(MotorSpeed *4);
  outMsg.buf[3] = highByte(MotorSpeed *4);
  Can0.write(outMsg);
}

void sendTempgauge(){
  outMsg.id  = 0x289;
  outMsg.len = 8;
  outMsg.ext = 0;
  outMsg.buf[1] = (2 * 1.655 * tempguageval) + 48;
  Can0.write(outMsg);
}

void sendMILlight(){
  //Stop sending this frame to show engine light
  outMsg.id  = 0x4E0;
  outMsg.len = 8;
  outMsg.ext = 0;
  Can0.write(outMsg);
}

void sendDCDCcommand(){
  outMsg.id  = 0x1D4;
  outMsg.len = 2;
  outMsg.ext = 0;
  outMsg.buf[0] = 0xA0;
  outMsg.buf[1] = dcdcTargetVoltage * 1.27;
  Can0.write(outMsg);
}

void canread(){
  Can0.read(inMsg);
  switch (inMsg.id){
    case 0x126:
      InverterTemp = CAN_decode(&inMsg, 32, 16, LSB, SIGNED, 1, 0);
      tempguageval = map(InverterTemp, -5, 50, 0, 55);                //Map temperature gauge
      MotorTemp = CAN_decode(&inMsg, 48, 16, LSB, SIGNED, 1, 0);      //Motor temp current not used as inverter hotter
    break;
    case 0x125:
      packVoltage = CAN_decode(&inMsg, 16, 16, LSB, SIGNED, 0.1, 0);
      packCurrent = CAN_decode(&inMsg, 0, 16, LSB, SIGNED, 0.1, 0);
      packCurrent = abs(packCurrent);                                 //Make current always positive
      packCurrent = packCurrent * 1.6;                                //Correction for tesla du DC current
      SOC = map(packVoltage, 300, 395, 0, 100);                       //Rudimentary map of SOC to voltage
      SOC = constrain(SOC, 0, 100);                                   //Prevent out of bounds
      desiredposition = map(SOC, 0, 100, full_sweep_steps, 0);        //Update needles desired stepper position
      MotorSpeed = map(packCurrent, 0, 400, 0, 4000);                 //Map current to motorspeed aka gauge revs
    break;
    default:
      break;
  }
}

void printStats(){
  Serial.println();
  Serial.print("Inverter Temp : ");
  Serial.print(InverterTemp);
  Serial.println("˚C");
  Serial.print("Motor Temp : ");
  Serial.print(MotorTemp);
  Serial.println("˚C");
  Serial.print("Battery Temp : ");
  Serial.print(BatteryTemp);
  Serial.println("˚C");
  Serial.print("Motor Speed : ");
  Serial.print(MotorSpeed);
  Serial.println("rpm");
  Serial.print("Pack Current: ");
  Serial.print(packCurrent);
  Serial.println("A");
  Serial.print("Pack Voltage: ");
  Serial.print(packVoltage);
  Serial.println("V");
  Serial.print("Battery SOC : ");
  Serial.print(SOC);
  Serial.println("%");
}

void gaugeReset(){
  int amountofstepstorewind = map(SOC, 0, 100, full_sweep_steps, 0);
  amountofstepstorewind = amountofstepstorewind + 50;
  for (int i = 0; i <= amountofstepstorewind; i++) {
    delay(1);
  }
  //let movefuelguageneedle know it has been reset
  actualposition = 0;
  Serial.println(amountofstepstorewind);
}

void movefuelguageneedle(){
  //Need to move clockwise
  if(desiredposition > actualposition){
    digitalWrite(fuel_direction_pin, LOW);
    int num_steps_calculated = desiredposition - actualposition;
    //Serial.print(num_steps_calculated);
    //Serial.println(" steps moved clockwise");
    for (int i = 0; i <= num_steps_calculated; i++) {
      delay(1);
    }
    actualposition = desiredposition; //Move has been completed!
  }
  //Need to move anti-clockwise
  if(desiredposition < actualposition){
    int num_steps_calculated = actualposition - desiredposition;
    //Serial.print(num_steps_calculated);
    //Serial.println(" steps moved anti-clockwise");
    for (int i = 0; i <= num_steps_calculated; i++) {
      delay(1);
    }
    actualposition = desiredposition; //Move has been completed!
  }
}
Boxster EV

Post by Boxster EV »

I have been running firmware version 5.14.R for nearly a year. This version had a couple issues in my application. I would get an occasional current spike (causing an overcurrent event) when gently coming off throttle to regen (OC never happened when the motor was under full load). To make the car usable I adjusted brknom, regenramp and regenrampstr to very mild settings to prevent this happening however it made the car feel lethargic under some conditions.

Today I upgraded the firmware to sine 5.20.R using the hex file and STM programming application connected directly to the board (I don't like doing OTA firmware updates). The update went smoothly and I've just put about 30 miles on the car. Initial impressions are that things are much smoother when on and off throttle, in fact, anecdotally everything seems smoother. I've reverted the above regen settings back to normal so I'll monitor whether my spurious OC event returns - so far so good and very pleased.

Few pictures of the filthy car and process:

image0 (6).jpeg
2EA82139-5AA0-433C-AE1F-8B80B9C11002.jpeg
image0 (7).jpeg
image0 (8).jpeg
A54C49A6-BC99-4E55-B83D-9D20128427B2.jpeg
5.20.R.JPG
spiff

Post by spiff »

Hi All,
Finally found a car that I'll be starting this on... '06 Cayman S with a bore-scored engine, but only 67k kms (not miles!). As I start re-reading this thread and preparing a list of things to buy, I'm looking for advice on what driveshaft parts I need and how to source. Do I need these from Zero-EV?
https://zero-ev.co.uk/shop/108jointpair ... pair-12792
And then do I cut up my existing driveshafts or order different ones to fit and get them welded. For the Canadians on this forum, any good shops that can do this welding if required?

Thanks in advance. When I'm ready (and actually get the car in March) I'll start my own project thread!
canadasconvert

Post by canadasconvert »

Welcome to the "Club" What motor are you using? If its a Tesla, you will need to decide on a Large Drive Unit (LDU) or Small Drive Unit (SDU) This is important because the LDU needs to be installed to run backwards. For the LDU, you will need a revese oil pump and depending on the drive board you use, you may need to reverse two leads in the 23 pin connection.
For maching and fabrication, where in Canda are you?