AC batteries

Introduction and miscellaneous that we haven't created categories for, yet
joromy

AC batteries

Post by joromy »

Found this article about AC batteries, have seen something similar before. But this is new.
Is this the end for HV inverter and charger?

https://www.tu.no/artikler/vil-revolusj ... -fu-Wvvg4M

It's in Norwegian but here is the interesting stuff (google transelated)

AC battery
A cell by definition provides direct current. They do the same with Hagal. But the cells are built together in a battery, where each of them is controlled individually. Within a few milliseconds, they can let the cell voltage vary, and then they can let the cells build up the frequency they want. They can create different sine curves to suit consumption. This is a big point when electricity is to be rectified and alternated.

Used in, for example, a vehicle when charging with AC power, it must be converted to direct current for the battery. Or convert direct current to alternating current for use in the motor.

Technology director Jonathan Edvard Bjerkedok does not want to show the details of the new battery yet, even though the technology is the patent. Therefore, the picture is a bit blurry. Photo: Odd Richard Valmot
In such applications with Hagal's technology, no inverters and inverters, no inverters and no DC buses are needed. The vehicle can charge the batteries directly with alternating current by creating the shape of the current you want in the battery itself. Potentially, this saves weight, volume and cost.

- This way of building batteries triggers a number of possibilities. Getting control all the way down to the individual cell is of course very important. The savings come from many quarters. Much comes from the reduced need for equipment to regulate the current during charging and discharging. The sum of savings with used or sorted cells and savings of up to a third of the cost is significant, says technology director Jonathan Edvard Bjerkedok.
Thomas A. Edison “I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work"
jnsaff

Re: AC batteries

Post by jnsaff »

So they have micro-inverters per cell, each controlled individually? Their website claims they use second life batteries. So the idea is to optimize cell-variance by being able to control each according to their ability? In essence an active bms combined with microinverters?

I wish them luck and it's definitely an interesting play. I don't see it replacing all monolithic inverters and bms'es any time soon.