1971 GMCe Lexus GS450H BMW 530e Tesla Model S Electruck  [FINISHED]

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
Gregski

Re: 1971 GMCe Lexus GS450H BMW 530e Tesla Model S powered Electruck

Post by Gregski »

I will work on the truck today.png
"I don't need to understand how it works, I just need to understand how to make it work!" ~ EV Greg
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

well other than, disassembling, reassembling, designing, fabricating, welding, grinding, sanding, scotch brighting, steel wooling, cleaning, wire wheeling, washing, media blasting, prepping, priming, painting, clear coating, and powder coating, I've pretty much done nothing to the truck as of late

IMG_5642.JPG
IMG_5646.JPG
IMG_5714.JPG
IMG_6178.JPG
IMG_8985.JPG
IMG_8987.JPG
"I don't need to understand how it works, I just need to understand how to make it work!" ~ EV Greg
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

culminating in my last act of defiance where I mount Pontiac GTZero nostrils atop a Chevy hood

all documented in excruciating detail on My Dusty 71 GMCe Electruck build thread on 67-72chevytrucks.com
IMG_9042.JPG
mjc506

Post by mjc506 »

Ah, performance air intakes eh? :)
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

mjc506 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:55 pmAh, performance air intakes eh? :)
ha ha, or as I like to call it dent, hole, and crack cover

IMG_9052.JPG
mjc506

Post by mjc506 »

Speedholes
TheSilverBuick

Post by TheSilverBuick »

And here I thought leaving the 400 hood on my Firebird was sacrilegious when I put a turbo L6 in my Firebird, lol!
Need to learn. Starting from the basics.
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

so I decided to re plumb the iBooster with much nicer and gentler sweeping bends, and then go to EVCreate to see if I got the front and rear lines correct

any guesses if I got it right?

IMG_9845.JPG
EVCreate iBooster.jpg
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

if indeed I made an error, now I must figure out how to somehow blame SuperfastMatt for said error, as I do not identify as someone who is error prone

Gregski

Post by Gregski »

not a truck update but just letting you know what's been keeping me from updating, apparently my wife's love language is "making me do shit" so here I am finally replacing the headlight on her 2010 Honda Pilot, YES the front grille and bumper have to come off first, you read that right

IMG_9862.JPG
IMG_9864.JPG
IMG_9866.JPG
IMG_9868.JPG
IMG_9870.JPG
IMG_E3045.jpg
P.S.Mangelsdorf

Post by P.S.Mangelsdorf »

Gregski wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:24 pm not a truck update but just letting you know what's been keeping me from updating, apparently my wife's love language is "making me do shit" so here I am finally replacing the headlight on her 2010 Honda Pilot, YES the front grille and bumper have to come off first, you read that right
I feel your pain.

My father's previous truck, an '09 Sierra, called for the same thing. Turned out if you were a determined and dumb teenager, and didn't mind ending the experience bleeding, you could juuuussstttt barely squeeze your hand in to change the bulb with the vehicle still assembled.

My V6 Challenger takes the cake though: to change the plugs and coils, you have to pull the intake manifold. To get longer runners they laid the intake over and it completely covers the driver's side head.
If at first you don't succeed, buy a bigger hammer.

1940 Chevrolet w/ Tesla LDU - "Shocking Chevy" - Completed 2023 Hot Rod Drag Week
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

so here we go taking another one for the team, I just subbed to one months worth of ALLData for a 2018 Honda CRV hopefully we can learn more about this master cylinder iBooster thingie

AllData Honda CRV.jpg

if anyone here speaks Honda I would really appreciate a translation of E. VSA modulator-control unit
AllData Honda CRV Brake System.jpg

and this is the closest we get to a label for the two brake line ports
AllData Honda CRV Master Cylinder.jpg
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

respectfully...

AllData Honda CRV Brake System 2.jpg
P.S.Mangelsdorf

Is it the ABS solenoid module?

1940 Chevrolet w/ Tesla LDU - "Shocking Chevy" - Completed 2023 Hot Rod Drag Week
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

ah yes, of course looking at an actual picture under the bonnet and it's clear as mud

s-l1600.jpg
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

P.S.Mangelsdorf wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:08 pm Is it the ABS solenoid module?
I appreciate you trying to help, I am knee deep in acronyms at the minute, I even had to Googlenate "VSA"

Vehicle Stability Assist

VSA stands for Vehicle Stability Assist. It helps to keep cars handling correctly during cornering, particularly if the system's sensors detect understeer or oversteer. It's especially useful when different wheels have different amounts of grip, a situation that would normally lead to skidding or plowing.

What is the VSA modulator control unit?

[Greek] The VSA modulator-control unit checks the pump motor operation during regular diagnosis when the vehicle is driven over 15 km/h (10 mph) the first time after the ignition switch is turned ON (II). You may hear the motor operate at this time, but it is normal. [/Greek]
P.S.Mangelsdorf

Gregski wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:13 pm I appreciate you trying to help, I am knee deep in acronyms at the minute, I even had to Googlenate "VSA"

Vehicle Stability Assist

VSA stands for Vehicle Stability Assist. It helps to keep cars handling correctly during cornering, particularly if the system's sensors detect understeer or oversteer. It's especially useful when different wheels have different amounts of grip, a situation that would normally lead to skidding or plowing.

What is the VSA modulator control unit?

[Greek] The VSA modulator-control unit checks the pump motor operation during regular diagnosis when the vehicle is driven over 15 km/h (10 mph) the first time after the ignition switch is turned ON (II). You may hear the motor operate at this time, but it is normal. [/Greek]
ABS: Antilock Brake System. It looks like the mystery item is right where the brake lines split up, which is where I would expect the solenoids for ABS would be.

Gregski

Post by Gregski »

great looks like now I need to hunt down the remote reservoir for this iBooster animal

looks like this
Honda CRV Remote Reservoir 1.jpg
Honda CRV Remote Reservoir 2.jpg
mjc506

Post by mjc506 »

Looks like it's 'only' a brake reservoir?

Motorcycle reservoirs will probably fit the hose fine, but might be a little small.
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

Gregski wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:54 pm great looks like now I need to hunt down the remote reservoir for this iBooster animal
its just a reservoir, a little tank and a hose is all you need. or put a different MC on it, like i did. I turned some aluminum on my lathe to make an adapter to mount a Subaru MC onto a chevy volt ibooster
https://bratindustries.net/ leaf motor couplers, adapter plates, custom drive train components
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

mjc506 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:48 pm Looks like it's 'only' a brake reservoir?

Motorcycle reservoirs will probably fit the hose fine, but might be a little small.
thank you for the suggestion
delgadb2

Post by delgadb2 »

so the VSA is going to be monitoring things like wheel speed, yaw, steering angle, and acceleration. It will then tell the ABS modulator which wheels to apply braking force to. this is per wheel braking force intended to counter act the unintended rotation of the vehicle around the y axis. a spinout if you will. the silver box with the can on it that has two or more lines coming in from the master cylinder and 4 going out is the ABS modulator. it will pulse the brakes on all 4 wheels at the same time or independently based on input from the vehicle. Traction control(wheel slip), stability control(spin out) and antilock braking all use braking force as part of their control inputs to perform their respective functions. That ABS modulator is just a smart distribution valve for braking force. it can be deleted if you only want breaking assist from the ibooster. a good proportioning valve is recommended for front/rear break force distribution though.

In EVs that ABS modulator performs and addition function. The vehicle monitors brake pedal travel as reported by the ibooster, and compares that to the amount of regen braking available. if the pedal travel corresponds to an amount of breaking force that is within the capability of the edrive then the car will tell the abs module to feed the pressure back into the ibooster in its return loop thus negating the breaking pressure in the hydraulic system. as the braking request from your foot increases the car will tell the car to increase the hydraulic pressure in the break lines by closing the return loop. thus blending hydraulic and regen braking. until you come to a complete stop and all stopping force is transferred to the hydraulic system.

edit:
it looks as though the VSA modulator is what I was calling the abs modulator. your mystery component looks to be some kind of junction block where the 4 lines coming off of the VSA modulator split off and go to their specific wheels. Ill have to go out and look at my Clarity to see if I have one of those. it may be a packaging requirement on the CRV that is not really necessary. its possible that there is a separate abs solenoid apart from the VSA modulator that handles the abs functions. though i was under the impression that the VSA module handles both ABS and VSA functions
image.png
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

so close...

Gregski

Post by Gregski »

how I dropped off yet another drive shaft for shortening and monkeyfication

[ after taking it down to bare metal, primering it, then painting it BLACK like the truck gods intended ]

IMG_9903.JPG

how I picked it up [ this time it's personal, lol ]

IMG_9941.JPG
TheSilverBuick

Post by TheSilverBuick »

That looks nice, definitely hurts they changed the color on you.
Need to learn. Starting from the basics.