Saab 93 conversion

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
PaulHeystee

Saab 93 conversion

Post by PaulHeystee »

Hi,
I started with my project; converting my Saab 93 cabrio to electric with the use of Nissan Leaf drive train and battery.

It looks like it will fit straight in. I can use the original motor mounting point of the Saab, albeit with some small adapter plates.

As soon as I have more details I will share it.
Attachments
Saab93-cabrio-motor_fitting-3.jpg
Saab93-cabrio-motor_fitting-2.jpg
Saab93-cabrio-motor_fitting-1.jpeg
m.art.y

Re: Saab 93 conversion

Post by m.art.y »

Oh wow that's cool my ex favorite automaker. Had both 900 OG and 9000 anniversary. If I still had the 900 it would have been a perfect car to convert to replace the weak gearbox. That leaf stack is similar shape to the original 93 engine. Good luck 😊
PaulHeystee

Post by PaulHeystee »

More pic; an update.

The relay from the Leaf battery went under, in the tunnel where the exhaust was.
I had to relocate the engine stack as it was sitting too low. I matched the halve shafts Nissan/Saab and cut them to length. Welled them together with a small tube, when they are performing well I will have some made (without welding)

Next are the wire looms for the motor and computer. I think I will also add an small controller taking CAN bus messages from the motor stack, to control the original Saab dashboard; the rev counter will be an 'amp meter' where amps drawn are shown. My idea was to keep it on steady 2.000 rpm as zero point, more rpm will show more amps usage, less then 2.000 rpm will show regen.

The old battery charge (12 volt battery) lamp will be the HV charge in progress light by letting it blink.
I will need to change the dash board and replace with one from an automatic to be able to show when the system is in D N or R mode. I already have a modified automatic gear shifter ready, with switches.
Fuel level => SOC, however, in the first 5 seconds after starting it will show SOH.
Temp => coolant temp, like before. I need to figure out if I have to change the resitor value so it will not show low all the time.
Oil pressure lamp => not needed

The road speed is taken from the ABS computer and works autonomously, so no need to modify. road speed is taken from the left rear wheel ABS sensor.
Attachments
DSC_6658.JPG
DSC_6671.JPG
DSC_6682.JPG
DSC_6683.JPG
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Really like that bracket that takes the HV connector and contactor assembly.

Of all cars I wouldn't have expected a Saab to accommodate that Nissan charger! Does it really fit?
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
Dusty4

Post by Dusty4 »

Nice work, looks like a high quality build. :D
PaulHeystee

Post by PaulHeystee »

johu wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:03 pm Really like that bracket that takes the HV connector and contactor assembly.

Of all cars I wouldn't have expected a Saab to accommodate that Nissan charger! Does it really fit?
Yes, it fits, both under the haube als under the car, nothing sticks out. Even the location of the differential is spot-on.
PaulHeystee

Post by PaulHeystee »

It's done!, well 99% at least.
Yesterday I drove my Saab for the first time (A to B) and all went well, covered 91 kms without any problems.

I used the ash tray to accommodate the small display that shows SOC and drive mode.

It is pretty fast, not ludicrous fast but just fast, as Saabs should be. The cruse control also works (the unit with the cable controlling the throttle)
Attachments
signal-2022-08-20-112336.jpeg
signal-2022-08-20-111313_006.jpeg
signal-2022-08-20-111313_005.jpeg
signal-2022-08-20-111313_004.jpeg
signal-2022-08-20-111313_002.jpeg
signal-2022-08-20-111313_003.jpeg
jnsaff

Post by jnsaff »

Congratulations! Well done! Is it also road legal and registered as electric?
PaulHeystee

Post by PaulHeystee »

Thanks!
Step two; getting it road legal. Big advantage; no road tax when 'fuel' is 'electric'
I am driving it with 'car dealer/test drive' number plates at this moment.
PaulHeystee

Post by PaulHeystee »

However, i am still struggling with the charge socket, I have type 1 but want type 2. Not so straight forward as I thought.

It is charging through type 1, original Nissan Leaf. Even the ChaDeMo fast charger is working.