ZEVA has gone "open sorce"

Introduction and miscellaneous that we haven't created categories for, yet
johnspark

Re: ZEVA has gone "open sorce"

Post by johnspark »

Is it true the maximum battery voltage allowable is 405 volts?
chentron

Post by chentron »

Please, anyone could share the BOM and the PNP files ?
Dusty4

Post by Dusty4 »

Hey Guys,

Here are is the BOM and pnp for bms24, I found the easiest way to get the list was to cross reference parts with an equivalent from mouser or digikey then place in order at jlcpcb. Be warned there are a lot of parts out of stock. I hand soldered most of it, it isn't a job for the faint hearted.
Attachments
Pnp.xlsx
(20.94 KiB) Downloaded 150 times
Bom24.xlsx
(17.32 KiB) Downloaded 144 times
TheRealJohnnyB

Post by TheRealJohnnyB »

prensel wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:25 pm
Dusty4 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:32 pm Hey prensel, how are you getting on making the bms boards? I'd be interested in buying some off you.
Ready to go (almost) !
I have about 12 boards ready to be programmed.

IMG_0860.jpg
How’d it work out? I’d be interested in purchasing 7!
chentron

Post by chentron »

After reviewing the bom for BMS24 I find that the chips with less stock and more expensive are the LTC6802-2 (and its compatible LTC6803-2). However, I find it on ebay and especially on alixpress much cheaper. Also the ATMEGA and other main chips of the design. Is the quality of alixpress reliable for these components? Has anyone bought from these sites?
bjp

Post by bjp »

Hi all, having reviewed various options for BMS for my project, this is still looking like the best (esp. for keeping my local certifier happy), if I can work around the chip shortage. Has anyone already done revised BOMs and CPLs for the other Zeva parts - 12S BMS, EVMS, Monitor, Current Sense? If not, sounds like its something I can manage and contribute - just teaching myself how to use KiCAD at the moment to get the revised production files.

Only thing that might kill it is the shortage of ATMEGA16M1. Parts suppliers in NZ aren't showing stock coming in for at least 6-12 months... I don't know enough about microcontrollers know the answer - are there any substitutes that may work, without needing changes to the firmware?
chentron

Post by chentron »

hi
for me is also the best option.
I got all the material needed, some from alixpress other from ebay, very hard to get all, and not sure that all is working.
about your question, you can use the ATMEGA32M1 or ATMEGA64M1 . You can see in the file BMS.c from ZEVA .
You can buy in ebay,
https://www.ebay.es/itm/194210626557?var=494296945689
nice to have somebody to share experience with the building of this. Now i am fighting how to program the atmegas, I blocked the first 2 and trying to recover.
m.art.y

Post by m.art.y »

Sorry if that's a bit off topic but I would like to bring to your attention that you could use Tesla BMS slave boards coupled to a Teensy 3.2 and/or SimpBMS which makes a fully customisable BMS for a less than this Zeva would cost to build. The good thing is that when using Tesla boards no calibration is needed, it's a matter of wiring everything togetger and entering the correct settings. I have those Tesla slave boards for sale and I will include Teensy 3.2 boards too. Thought I'll mention the alternative. PM if interested. 😊
chentron

Post by chentron »

marty, thank you for your offer. It looks a very good option, but the advantage of ZEVA over any other solution is the full documented and clear steps on how to do the BMS, and I dont see where to start for tesla bms slave boards.
At least all the BMS solutions in this forum have a high step where the newcomer like me can not affor. In fact about 80% of info is not affordable for newcomer. I understand this is a technical forum and minimal know is needed to follow some threads, but it s hard that people have all skills here: mechanics, electricity, electronics, computer and design CAD that is needed to follow most of threads. So a step by step is needed. WIKI is really giving very nice recipes. for example, I was not able to understand any of the fastcharge threads, but now I see a chademo section in WIKI that at least have a clear HowTo that I thanks a lot and give a chance to get fastcharge.
m.art.y

Post by m.art.y »

chentron wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:11 am marty, thank you for your offer. It looks a very good option, but the advantage of ZEVA over any other solution is the full documented and clear steps on how to do the BMS, and I dont see where to start for tesla bms slave boards.
Hi, sorry I didn't realize this hurdle, SimpBMS that enables the use of Tesla Slave BMS boards as a stand alone customisable BMS solution has quite a lot of in depth description in form of instructional manuals here:
https://github.com/Tom-evnut/SimpBMS

Also there is a SimpBMS thread on this forum where you can get direct support. Now I with no former knowledge of this system was able to wire everything up and choose the settings just by reading the instructional manual. Unlike a BMS system where you have to have boards built and calibrated SimpBMS + Tesla slaves is such an easy solution. 😊
bjp

Post by bjp »

Thanks m.art.y. I checked out the SimpBMS, but it still seemed like quite expensive option to buy the controller (around 600 euro incl shipping to NZ?) plus still need to get hold of Telsa (or other) modules. Apart from Leaf's, there aren't many other EVs at the wreckers here in NZ... only the code is open source, right - not the hardware?

I doubt I can get away with a "homebuilt" controller for the Tesla slave modules, even if I managed to track some down. There's one certifier for EV conversions locally in Christchurch, New Zealand, and he wants to see a "proven" system.
m.art.y

Post by m.art.y »

bjp wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:18 am Thanks m.art.y. I checked out the SimpBMS, but it still seemed like quite expensive option to buy the controller (around 600 euro incl shipping to NZ?) plus still need to get hold of Telsa (or other) modules. Apart from Leaf's, there aren't many other EVs at the wreckers here in NZ... only the code is open source, right - not the hardware?

I doubt I can get away with a "homebuilt" controller for the Tesla slave modules, even if I managed to track some down. There's one certifier for EV conversions locally in Christchurch, New Zealand, and he wants to see a "proven" system.
Hi, so which battery you would be using? If it's a Leaf pack you could use the Leaf BMS which is already in it? Else how are you planning to use the Zeva and how much it would end up costing? You can read Tesla slave boards and command balancing with a Teensy or other homebuilt solution too, SimpBMS offers you extended features like contactor control etc.
bjp

Post by bjp »

Not using salvaged EV cells - I've using Boston Power Swing 5300 cells built up into 4S9P modules...

Hi, its taken 6 months of waiting, but I finally have the Zeva pcbs made and now populated with the BMS and ATMega chips. Thanks very much to Ian Hooper for making this design available! I couldn't yet get ATMega16m chips, so I've used ATMega32m chips, and have not managed to get them to work with the .hex files supplied with the open source design. However, I've just managed to get the BMS24 boards working by compiling the .c file in Microchip Studio - but have not had any luck with the EVMS3 boards. When trying to compile, I get a couple of errors - "Common.h: no such file or directory" and "recipe for target 'main.o' failed"

Is anyone able to provide some help? I'm not a software engineer, I only dabble when I have to! Any advice appreciated. Ian, not sure if you are still watching and able to give some quick advice?
prensel

Post by prensel »

What are you using for programming the ATmega ?
I have build a batch of the BMS12 units several months ago and have no problem flashing the supplied firmware..
= Th!nk PIV4 Collection, support, sales =
KimchiKimKim

Post by KimchiKimKim »

bjp wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:27 am Not using salvaged EV cells - I've using Boston Power Swing 5300 cells built up into 4S9P modules...

Hi, its taken 6 months of waiting, but I finally have the Zeva pcbs made and now populated with the BMS and ATMega chips. Thanks very much to Ian Hooper for making this design available! I couldn't yet get ATMega16m chips, so I've used ATMega32m chips, and have not managed to get them to work with the .hex files supplied with the open source design. However, I've just managed to get the BMS24 boards working by compiling the .c file in Microchip Studio - but have not had any luck with the EVMS3 boards. When trying to compile, I get a couple of errors - "Common.h: no such file or directory" and "recipe for target 'main.o' failed"

Is anyone able to provide some help? I'm not a software engineer, I only dabble when I have to! Any advice appreciated. Ian, not sure if you are still watching and able to give some quick advice?

The Common.h header file is different for the EVMS V3 than the BMS24. You need to include it in your project by right-clicking the project in explore solutions tab and add an existing file then importing the header. Also, make sure to define FCPU to 8mhz in properties. It should compile just file after that

As always be VERY careful with setting fuses especially if you don't have a HV programmer to rescue!
chentron

Post by chentron »

i am doing steps to get the zeva bms working.
I have actually mounted partially the pcb and started to flash the atmega.
BMS24 have atmega 16M1 , I got it flashed correctly with progisp v.172 and usbasp programmer
also got flashed same chip present in can shunt interface.
My problem is ATMEL 90can64au present in zeva evms monitor. the same programmer doesnt work (chip enable program error). i know google is full of recipes to solve this problem shortening the jumper jp1 on usbasp, but this doesnt work for me so,
what software version and programmer are people using here? thank
EVPro

Post by EVPro »

Hello Sir,

I see you have successfully made and programmed some BMS12 boards. Do you happen to have any more of these for sale? I only need a couple of them. If not, do you happen to know where I might be able to get some?

Thank you,

Jarod
prensel wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:21 am What are you using for programming the ATmega ?
I have build a batch of the BMS12 units several months ago and have no problem flashing the supplied firmware..
uberbug

Post by uberbug »

For those who have re-made these boards: did you use a LTC6803-2 instead of the obsolete LTC6802-2? And if so were there any changes to board layout or firmware to make this possible? @prensel?
KimchiKimKim

Post by KimchiKimKim »

LTC6803 introduced a CRC so you would need to add to the driver code in order to use it. however is pin compatible so no PCB changes. I bought a bunch of ltc6802-2 from an Alibaba IC sourcing company since their min order quantity was 50 units. They have all worked flawlessly so far and I have so many left over I have BMSs solution for life.
uberbug

Post by uberbug »

Thanks for the info! I sent a PM to ask if you want to sell some LTC8202-2 or finished boards.
tensa

Post by tensa »

KimchiKimKim wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:51 pm LTC6803 introduced a CRC so you would need to add to the driver code in order to use it. however is pin compatible so no PCB changes. I bought a bunch of ltc6802-2 from an Alibaba IC sourcing company since their min order quantity was 50 units. They have all worked flawlessly so far and I have so many left over I have BMSs solution for life.
How do you add the CRC?
I used LTC6803-02 and they can't seem to work, I was wondering what the issue is.
KimchiKimKim

Post by KimchiKimKim »

uberbug wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:01 am Thanks for the info! I sent a PM to ask if you want to sell some LTC8202-2 or finished boards.

Never received the pm! Sorry for the late response.
KimchiKimKim

Post by KimchiKimKim »

tensa wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:36 pm How do you add the CRC?
I used LTC6803-02 and they can't seem to work, I was wondering what the issue is.
All info to implement crc in code is documented in the 6803 data sheet memory registers.
tensa

Post by tensa »

KimchiKimKim wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:42 pm All info to implement crc in code is documented in the 6803 data sheet memory registers.
Kindly request that you point me to the documentation as I can not seem to find these data sheet registers for the life of me.
KimchiKimKim

Post by KimchiKimKim »

tensa wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 3:43 pm Kindly request that you point me to the documentation as I can not seem to find these data sheet registers for the life of me.
https://www.analog.com/media/en/technic ... 0324fa.pdf

Check operation section of this PEC (the CRC) info starts on page 17