Chevy Malibu Hybrid battery

Discussion about components from Ampera/Bolt and the PSA group which owns Opel these days
kon

Chevy Malibu Hybrid battery

Post by kon »

I found this battery and based on the specs it would be pretty ideal for my build:
2016-Chevrolet-Malibu-Hybrid-hybrid-battery.jpg
Has anyone of you used it before? I assume I wouldn't need a BMS, and could I charge it with the prius gen2 inverter (off 240V AC) ?

Thanks
Isaac96

Re: Chevy Malibu Hybrid battery

Post by Isaac96 »

What's your build? That's a pretty tiny battery - 1.5kWh would get you about 5 miles in anything but a motorcycle. (And only 450Wh is actually usable!!)

Yes, it could probably be charged off 240. You'd need to talk to the BMS, most likely via CAN, to be sure cells stay balanced.
kon

Post by kon »

The build is a hybrid, gen2 inverter and leaf motor so range is not a very big concern. I was wondering about the 450Wh usable? like what does that mean vs the 1.5kW? I've done some can message reverse engineering before but I don't have a working malibu to get a sniff from, so that will be difficult.
Isaac96

Post by Isaac96 »

Hybrid -- makes sense.
Usable? Not sure. Maybe it's Chevy's limiting so that the battery lasts longer -- it's quite possible that if you are willing to tolerate reduced life you could use at least 1kWh.
kon

Post by kon »

I think even just 1kWh would be useful for this project. I doubt being able to reverse engineer the BMS CAN stream without a working donor car. Can you recommend a BMS for this battery?
Isaac96

Post by Isaac96 »

Orion or Dilithium are where it's at these days. Either will run you $1200 or so for 80 cells. Consider trying to snag a Volt battery instead if you have the space?
Do you have a source for the Malibu battery?
kon

Post by kon »

Thanks! Well since its a hybrid all the ice related gear is still needed and takes up space so that's an issue. I like the size and specs of the Malibu battery, but i doubt its the only option. Just looking for something 1-5kwh and >300V