Golf 1 / Prius Gen 2 (FIRST DRIVE)

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
RetroZero

Golf 1 / Prius Gen 2 (FIRST DRIVE)

Post by RetroZero »

Hi there everyone. Firstly I must appologise for falling off the face of the earth these last 7 months....
Finally got my Golf Mk1 Cab and spent the last 3 months cleaning it up to pass its MOT, before attempting to fit a trusty Prius Gen 2 Transaxle and Convertor/Invertor.
Phase No1 : fit transaxle, convertor and original Prius battery pack and get her rolling.
I'll be back in the Prius Charger discussion to get the battery pack charging correctly and complete FOC setup. 8-)
Thanks to VwBrady getting on with the Leaf Option, we can compare....hopefully.
The big challenge will be drive shaft couplings and transaxle mounts....Here goes.
Today was prepare for engine and gearbox removal - Fun in the rain
Attachments
DSC_0828.JPG
DSC_0826.JPG
DSC_0670.JPG
LRBen

Re: Golf 1 / Prius Gen 2

Post by LRBen »

Good to see you back. I looked into the Prius charging momentarily and I think I figured out the basics. I'll be at a similar stage to you soon in getting the Prius charging actually working to charge my pack.
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

should be a fairly straightforward job for any machinest to take the inner cv cups, mill them down and fit them to a flange with the type 1/type2 vw cv bolt pattern.
https://bratindustries.net/ leaf motor couplers, adapter plates, custom drive train components
RetroZero

Post by RetroZero »

At the moment I am looking at the different placings. Not so easy to decide when Brake booster and original mountings are to take into account. Then there is the height, don't want to have to cut a hole in the bonnet. The driveshafts will come later. Putting the motor and inverter to one side gives me place for some battery modules up front.....well that's the idea.
Attachments
DSC_0870.JPG
RetroZero

Post by RetroZero »

"Jenny" is now hanging by various brackets to measure up driveshafts and start propper mounting builds.
Attachments
DSC_0895.JPG
DSC_0902.JPG
RetroZero

Post by RetroZero »

Thanks to the various projects surrounding prius and vw 'marriages' I think I got the transaxle supports sorted. Unlike 'Maker of Things', à lot of pigeon poo welding later, I got the various supports tack welded. Driveshafts next up
Attachments
DSC_0995.JPG
DSC_0986.JPG
DSC_0988.JPG
DSC_0990.JPG
RetroZero

Post by RetroZero »

Inverter will just fit under the hood.
Attachments
DSC_0993.JPG
RetroZero

Post by RetroZero »

Started to rewire the inverter and transaxle this week end. Hope to have it looking presentable for a local 'recycling forum' in a few weeks.
www.fect.fr if anyone is interested. BTW, Openinverter, EVBMW and New Electric will be mentioned in the documentation.
Small hitch though, off to Sweden for 2 weeks holidays that was planned a long time ago, so pressure is on.
Attachments
DSC_1001.JPG
MattsAwesomeStuff

Post by MattsAwesomeStuff »

Good to see you're still making progress.

Every time I see someone closer to a driving car with the Prius Gen 2 inverter, encourages me a little more to un-abandon my own build and take another swing at getting it to spin.
RetroZero

Post by RetroZero »

If there's one thing I learnt from course with Damien, is stick to one project at a time and try to finish it...... Exactly how he does things 🤣🤣🤣 but that's D 😆
RetroZero

Post by RetroZero »

Coming along and sorting out basic wiring. Hopefully get it spinning again soon. Time to go through threads and see why all the upgrades were made to source code, and make adjustments before turning the key.
Attachments
DSC_1088.JPG
RetroZero

Post by RetroZero »

Another quick update - got shims made up and will get the lengths of the driveshafts calculated next. Then off to get them MIG/TIG welded.

Got most of wiring done and tidied up, and spent most of the day trying to get the 'bench tested' unit to run again in the car. Looks like I have a blown precharge resistor (it's the original one with the Prius Pack - 3,8 Mohm)
Attachments
DSC_1090.JPG
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

RetroZero wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:34 pm Another quick update - got shims made up and will get the lengths of the driveshafts calculated next. Then off to get them MIG/TIG welded.

Curious, what made you decide to splice the axle shafts instead of milling/welding a type 2 flange with the Prius inner cv doj?
https://bratindustries.net/ leaf motor couplers, adapter plates, custom drive train components
RetroZero

Post by RetroZero »

Not having a lathe or precise welding capabilities, I think this was the simpler way forward. The longer the shafts and shim in between, the less run-out is likely when everything is welded up. It Also allowed me to calculate the min and max lengths of the shafts when mounted on the Vehicule. I can slide them in and out of each other and then find the mid point for joining. Oh, and because one shaft is hollow, and the other solid. 😉
RetroZero

Post by RetroZero »

Ligned up driveshafts today, along with making brackets to secure the Inverter.
So lesson learned - due to height limit between Gen2 Transaxle, Inverter and the bonnet, the driveshaft outputs are sitting too low and causes the left side to touch the sub frame. :x Shorter springs will have to be the solution...How low can we go? Will find out soon.
Attachments
Drive shaft with shims
Drive shaft with shims
Left side touches sub frame
Left side touches sub frame
Inverter support brackets
Inverter support brackets
RetroZero

Post by RetroZero »

Will need a good clean up, but shorter springs fix the problem. Will see once it's on the ground in terms of clearance. Trying to get it as close to original ride height as possible.
Attachments
Shorter springs
Shorter springs
RetroZero

Post by RetroZero »

Just wanted to say a huge thanks to Damien and Johannes for getting me into this passionate subject. Off to prepare for tomorrow's meeting where 'Ze Golf' will be on expo - IN RUNNING MODE!! 😁 🥂.
Will post afterwards, but some pics for an idea of where I'm at. THANK YOU OPENINVERTER COMMUNITY!
Attachments
DSC_1176.JPG
DSC_1151.JPG
DSC_1177.JPG
DSC_1195.JPG
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Well, thank YOU, so good to see this running! Very shiny too :) I assume you're running MG2 only?
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
ZooKeeper

Post by ZooKeeper »

RetroZero wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:00 am Just wanted to say a huge thanks to Damien and Johannes for getting me into this passionate subject. Off to prepare for tomorrow's meeting where 'Ze Golf' will be on expo - IN RUNNING MODE!! 😁 🥂.
Will post afterwards, but some pics for an idea of where I'm at. THANK YOU OPENINVERTER COMMUNITY!
Very clean install!
Huebner VCU controlling a Gen2 Prius Inverter powering an MGR
"Talent is equally distributed but opportunity is not." - Leila Janah
MattsAwesomeStuff

Post by MattsAwesomeStuff »

I forget all what you used and what you got working. You're scattered across a few threads. Eventually, when you're done, a project overview or summary would be a great help for beginners I think, and for us to point to.
RetroZero

Post by RetroZero »

For now it's only MG2 and Inverter. Testing with Prius pack for the moment, and next step is basic charging for it. My dilemma is that I will run MG1 (with a 2nd board) , so inverter cannot be used as charger as well (unless I unbolt everything each time I need to recharge). Will do some research whilst changing powersteering, brake booster pump and cooling system. Just happy it moves.
RetroZero

Post by RetroZero »

Not much happening whilst doing the workshop.. But put in a new gear lever 😁
Attachments
DSC_1192.JPG
Bigpie

Post by Bigpie »

What's the power like just using mg2? I think this is the first driving vehicle I've seen that uses the prius transaxle
VW Beetle 2003
Outlander front generator
Prius Gen 3 inverter (EVBMW logic board)
Outlander charger
3x Golf GTE batteries
Chademo Charging
Outlander water heater
johnspark

Post by johnspark »

Very interesting project :)
RetroZero

Post by RetroZero »

I haven't tried it out 'properly'. No cooling plumbed in and prius battery has low voltage. Lots of torque though and very smooth in forward. I plan on running MG1 as well, so on-board charger to configure with plumbing and brakes next on the list.