MEB motor and inverter (ID.3, ID.4, Eniaq, etc.)

Forum on Volkswagen related hardware, so VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda etc.
johu
Site Admin

Re: MEB motor and inverter (ID.3, ID.4, Eniaq, etc.)

Post by johu »

Very nice!
As soon as I can get ahold of an inverter I could join in
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
Ruudi S

Post by Ruudi S »

I have found out the pinout of inverter connector to the car electrical system. Strangely there is no gnd connection in this 10 pin connector. Motor housing is connected to the car body via 16mm2 brown cable.
MEB inverter wiring diagram.jpg
seb43654

Post by seb43654 »

Anyone attempted CAN spoofing to get this motor to run?
golfdubcrazy

Post by golfdubcrazy »

I have attempted to log the powertrain data from an id3 but unfortunately it uses CAN-FD. now just waiting on a new can to usb with FD compatibility. also from what i read the module might have component protection rendering it useless.
Kingofbits

Post by Kingofbits »

Super interested in this project as its something which I/we intend to use as much of an ID3 Pro performance car in a restoration of a classic vehicle. This would be a volume car (not a one off home build). It would be commercially pivotal to know that we can use the motor / inverter, with mods if needed as the vehicle BOM cost win is huge. We also intend to use the battery modules (9off) possibly still contained within the VW ID3 58(62)kwh pack and rework the BMS discipline. Based in Leeds - PM me if you can assist please!
Many thanks in advance!
seb43654

Post by seb43654 »

golfdubcrazy wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:04 am I have attempted to log the powertrain data from an id3 but unfortunately it uses CAN-FD. now just waiting on a new can to usb with FD compatibility. also from what i read the module might have component protection rendering it useless.
Where did you hear it has component protection, and if so what is this? Some sort of key immobiliser like the Tesla motors have?
Mitchy

Post by Mitchy »

Hey Seb.
The component protection and immo is detailed in some of the VW SSPs it just notes that the module is involved in both aspects.
A good start is to pull some of the Ross tech forum posts to see what details they have being pulled from each module.

I was hoping that the component protection and immo code is more based within the vcu, but the more I dig it does seem that the inverter expects the immo key challenge.
seb43654

Post by seb43654 »

Mitchy wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:43 am Hey Seb.
The component protection and immo is detailed in some of the VW SSPs it just notes that the module is involved in both aspects.
A good start is to pull some of the Ross tech forum posts to see what details they have being pulled from each module.

I was hoping that the component protection and immo code is more based within the vcu, but the more I dig it does seem that the inverter expects the immo key challenge.
Looks like the drive unit definitely has an immobiliser on, and I asume component protection however the diagram is somewhat unclear on that...

I guess the worst way to get around it is have a full id3 sitting on standby and re-pair the drive unit with the same car for each drive unit you want to use, then you could know the secret immobiliser keys (unless the request from the drive unit is rolling).

My hopeful thinking wishes the J533 gateway would just prevent the car from operating if immobiliser keys dont match, but if trying to run the motor outside from a car you dont care about that limitation...

seb43654

Post by seb43654 »

So I performed some can sniffing from the drive unit and uploaded all the logs onto github here:

https://github.com/seb43654/vw-id3

I cant find any dbc file that matches up correctly really.

Drive unit seems to only transmit 7 can ID's if isolated.
Ross

Post by Ross »

I bought second hand inverter with the electric motor complete from ebay and tried to swap it with my old one but the imobilaizer fault code came up and i can’t bypass that! Anyone can help?
Attachments
0C323FAF-FA80-4AF1-9831-75067D4A0979.jpeg
seb43654

Post by seb43654 »

you need to re pair it as it has component protection. cant be done in vag come you need official vw dealer tools
EV_Builder

Post by EV_Builder »

Ross wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:35 am I bought second hand inverter with the electric motor complete from ebay and tried to swap it with my old one but the imobilaizer fault code came up and i can’t bypass that! Anyone can help?
What was the reason of the swap?
Do you still have the old inverter/motor?
Converting an Porsche Panamera
see http://www.wdrautomatisering.nl for bespoke BMS modules.
Ross

Post by Ross »

EV_Builder wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:55 pm What was the reason of the swap?
Do you still have the old inverter/motor?
The car sustained minimal damage at the front, and both front airbags were triggered, along with the pyro fuse, I had no communication with the electric drive and then I found that the inverter had failed. I still have the old parts
Aragorn

Post by Aragorn »

It might be possible to swap the inverter logic board from the old one? That would get you the matching EEPROM and IMMO coding that the car is expecting. I dont know if theres any sort of resolver offset or other calibration that would need redone to match the new motor though.
EV_Builder

Post by EV_Builder »

Aragorn wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:38 pm It might be possible to swap the inverter logic board from the old one? That would get you the matching EEPROM and IMMO coding that the car is expecting. I dont know if theres any sort of resolver offset or other calibration that would need redone to match the new motor though.
Yeah; what he said was my idea too and indeed you need to maybe merge the data or re calibrate the resolver. If and only if the offset isn't stored in the resolver itself.
Ross

Post by Ross »

EV_Builder wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:49 pm Yeah; what he said was my idea too and indeed you need to maybe merge the data or re calibrate the resolver. If and only if the offset isn't stored in the resolver itself.
The logic board appears damaged as well,there's melting on the back side ! The options are if someone can remove the imobilaizer with software or to get a brand new inverter which cost £1300
EV_Builder

Post by EV_Builder »

Post us pictures of the board. Closeups.
Ross

Post by Ross »

EV_Builder wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:14 pm Post us pictures of the board. Closeups.
Attachments
92E443F0-BA44-4A18-8C5B-A3216A375CBB.jpeg
7DA00245-8138-42C0-A19A-E57E4EA9B041.jpeg
29E1BB6E-83A6-438A-A99C-3D40FB3EE1BA.jpeg
jrbe

Post by jrbe »

Have you asked on Ross tech or obd eleven forums? Older vw / Audi cars you could read the old immobilizer info and recode the new / used item. Not sure how this would go on the id4.
I agree, probably will need to figure out how to get the immobilizer info off the old inverter. It doesn't really look safe to power up with high voltage. I wonder if the controller would communicate without high voltage present. Might be able to pull the immobilizer info that way.
Not sure if you would get anywhere if you try the right to repair route with VW.
Older VAG cars could have the immobilizer defeated with a tune. Not sure if that's the case with this. I don't see any tunes besides throttle pedal remap "tunes."

All that damage is from the pyro fuse?
Doig5710

Post by Doig5710 »

I do a bit of factory vag coding work and I wouldn't think it'd be possible using rosstech or odis software sorry, however maybe with vcp if you were good at using it otherwise do what they do with the engine ecus, by reading the eeprom data and modifying it, not what I do and I know in the later model stuff it's getting harder and harder to turn any immo off in a lot of different vehicles.
Sometimes aftermarket tuning software has that option as well.
EV_Builder

Post by EV_Builder »

Pictures of the new board might be needed.