ZombieVerter VCU Support

paaa

Re: ZombieVerter VCU Support

Post by paaa »

Renegate2020 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:13 am I have a strange question - is it possible to use this board to control the charging of a chademo nissan leaf pdm without connecting an inverter and a motor?
Using the leaf pdm for chademo hasn't been done as far as I know , mostly due to most people wanting independent chademo as it only requires a current shunt and contactors. As the pdm is quite large most don't use it as its not very space efficient.
wovenrovings

Post by wovenrovings »

Just received my ZombieVerter. And thanks to AdrianB, checked off my components to be soldered. Couldn't find IC10 (MCP25625T-E_ML). I assume that is because it is unavailable, as my searches came up empty, except for Aliexpress... I don't need that CAN channel now, hopefully they will become available before I want to use it. So if anyone does find some could they let us know.
llange

Post by llange »

Hello,
I'm not (at the moment) a ZombieVerter / OpenInverter owner/user ; so my questions (below) are intended to have a better picture of the whole ecosystem (ZombieVerter / OpenInverter) before diving in.
Please accept my apologies if it's the wrong thread, if the answers could have been found somewhere else in the forum (which I searched before, of course), or if my English is not as fluent as it should be.

So I'm researching what would be the best option(s) to drive a PM traction motor (one from iNetic - iEV180 series) with an OpenInverter-like setup.

I believe that an OpenInverter setup (either a GS450h, Toyota Prius Gen2 or 3, Auris/Yaris, Nissan Leaf Gen2 + a replacement board running OpenInverter firmware) could be an option. I will have some questions about this, later.

But first, I would like to know if the ZombieVerter VCU (i.e. keeping the OEM inverter intact and "talking" to it) could make an OEM inverter as versatile as the OpenInverter approach ; i.e. is there a setup (combination VCU + properly reverse-engineered OEM inverter) that could be made to drive other motors than the one originally attach to this OEM inverter ?

Said differently : is it possible with ZombieVerter + (e.g.) Toyota Prius Gen3 stock inverter to drive a non Toyota Prius motor ? Do we have some knowledge of how to "configure" said OEM inverters for non standard motors ? If so, which one would be the most "open" to such research ?

Thanks.
EV_Builder

Post by EV_Builder »

llange wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:26 pm Said differently : is it possible with ZombieVerter + (e.g.) Toyota Prius Gen3 stock inverter to drive a non Toyota Prius motor ? Do we have some knowledge of how to "configure" said OEM inverters for non standard motors ? If so, which one would be the most "open" to such research ?
De zombiverter aka VCU is a vehicle control unit. It's job is to facilitate vehicle functions. The job of an inverter is to run a motor so in order to have allot of flexibility you would need to swap out brains and command the power-stage from open-inverter board.

If you go to the Shop (see link above) you see there your options.

The VCU can also help enabling some OEM inverters but i'm pretty sure that won't be enough for you.
Converting an Porsche Panamera
see http://www.wdrautomatisering.nl for bespoke BMS modules.
Domt177

Post by Domt177 »

How do you control Prius gen3 with Zombieverter as I haven’t seen anyone document it yet.
I know you don’t need to replace the original logic board as it’s all external but assuming the connector does need to be replaced as a source of the Toyota connector still hasn’t been found.
Also Can you still run both power stage for mg1 and 2.
Planning on using with L210 gearbox
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

So you need to choose "prius gen3" from the inverter menu. Yes it runs mg1 and mg2. I like that idea for the l210. Just might work out of the box:)
I'm going to need a hacksaw
Domt177

Post by Domt177 »

thanks, regarding the connector, is it easiest to try and get the original connector from the Prius wiring harness and splice into that, as the only other method is to replace the connector which means taking apart the inverter

also I'm assuming the zombie can run the DCDC aswell ? (obviously if resistor mod is done to work at decent voltages)
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Yeah I'd try and get one from a scrapyard. Some will try and sell you the whole loom for big bucks other will just chop off the plug with a few inches of wire. I'd ask sellers on ebay breaking any gen3 cars.

also here are a few videos from the archives :

wovenrovings

Post by wovenrovings »

A quick question, what version of the ISA shunt are people using with the VCU? The one with a single terminated CAN port or the one with 2 CAN ports? Maybe it doesn't even matter...
EV_Builder

Post by EV_Builder »

It won't matter and depends on architecture / design.
I prefer flexibility so termination not in the device.
Converting an Porsche Panamera
see http://www.wdrautomatisering.nl for bespoke BMS modules.
Domt177

Post by Domt177 »

Is there a pinout for a stock Prius Gen 3 inverter connector? I can only find pinouts for the ampseal and breakout board.
As I got the original connector from the breaker.

Edit: found it here:

https://openinverter.org/forum/viewtopi ... 941#p24941
AdrianB

Post by AdrianB »

IC12 NCV8461DR2G - What does it do?

I need NCV8461DR2G to complete my board but there won’t be any stock in the UK until the autumn so I’m wondering if I need it for my conversion - or how far I can test my GS450h ‘gearbox’ without it. I’ve gone through the schematics but it isn’t clear to me exactly which functions it drives. Can anyone here let me know please - or point me in the right direction? Thanks.

It looks as if it has something to do with selecting/monitoring the gears in the GS450h gearbox but exactly what I can’t tell.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Its the high side switch for driving one of the GS450h gearbox shift solenoids. Not required for testing or driving as the gearbox will default to high gear.
AdrianB

Post by AdrianB »

Jack Bauer wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:38 am Not required for testing or driving as the gearbox will default to high gear.
Thanks, that’s good news. I wasn’t intending to use anything other than high gear as my car is quite light.
Domt177

Post by Domt177 »

Has there been a change to the ISAmode in the latest software. As my shunt has stopped shunting and I’d like to try and reinitialise it but can’t find the ISAmode setting:

Edit: turned out to be I had it connected up to CAN_EXT2 and configured for CAN2 but I changed it to CAN1 and it now works.
Attachments
2313DD33-6BD5-4EAC-8423-BFA68F14B679.jpeg
Domt177

Post by Domt177 »

Now I have precharge working but can't get any comms with the inverter (Prius gen3) and L210 (IS300h) gearbox to Zombie. My suspicion at the moment is the inverter isn't 'turning on' as precharge occurs and the inverter relay closes so 12v is getting to inverter, but no high pitched whine or spinning.

I have the MTH, HTM, REQ and CLK +'s and -'s connected up between inverter and Zombie using the original Prius connector and pinout I used a few messages above. I have nothing else between Zombie and inverter. on the Zombie itself I have IC12 and IC17 missing which I believe both are unused for my application.

I have MG1 and MG2 (MG1 I plugged into front connector and MG2 the rear connector on gearbox) resolvers connected up between inverter and gearbox using this pinout:
IMG_1176.jpg
That pinout I took from the GS450h forum thread / wiki and they're the same connector so I'm assuming they're the same pinout (unless they aren't?), here's how I've wired it:
IMG_1162.jpg
Ive assumed MRF goes to EX+ and MRFG goes to EX- (from Prius inverter pinout) as a guess as I don't know where else to put them. The other 4 (MSN and MCS with they're respective grounds with the G added at the end) I've wired up to the inverter as they're self explanatory. and that's all I have wired between inverter and gearbox. (I've left the temp sensors out for now)

Other than that I have the 2 inverter grounds permanently grounded (and 12v + on the relay) and that's all of my inverter wiring.

Can anyone spot anything I might be missing to gain inverter turning on, or is there a way I can check inverter comms with zombie? The only idea I can think of at the moment is that I've wired the mg1 and mg2 resolvers the wrong way around.

Thanks
irsjohnk

Post by irsjohnk »

Need help with wifi got zombieverter vcu parts populated and power up test but when adding the wifi olimex esp8266 board has solid green and solid red led. I attached to serial cable and the Arduino monitor shows "sec 1fd error" constantly outputting.
Tim
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Sounds like a problem with the wifi module. Have you tried reprogramming it? Details here :
https://openinverter.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

Domt177 wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:39 pm Now I have precharge working but can't get any comms with the inverter (Prius gen3) and L210 (IS300h) gearbox to Zombie. My suspicion at the moment is the inverter isn't 'turning on' as precharge occurs and the inverter relay closes so 12v is getting to inverter, but no high pitched whine or spinning.
Sounds like familiar symptoms I'm seeing (GS450H inverter). If you refresh the web interface after applying 'ignition on' signal but before applying 'start' signal, do you see InvStat change from 'off' to 'on'? Then after applying 'start' signal, and updating the web interface, InvStat has changed back from 'on' to 'off'?
Domt177

Post by Domt177 »

nkiernan wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:33 am
Domt177 wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:39 pm Now I have precharge working but can't get any comms with the inverter (Prius gen3) and L210 (IS300h) gearbox to Zombie. My suspicion at the moment is the inverter isn't 'turning on' as precharge occurs and the inverter relay closes so 12v is getting to inverter, but no high pitched whine or spinning.
Sounds like familiar symptoms I'm seeing (GS450H inverter). If you refresh the web interface after applying 'ignition on' signal but before applying 'start' signal, do you see InvStat change from 'off' to 'on'? Then after applying 'start' signal, and updating the web interface, InvStat has changed back from 'on' to 'off'?
Don’t seem to get that. I apply ignition T15 (second key turn in the BMW) and T15 stat goes on, INVstat says off, likewise with after pushing key against spring (‘cranking engine’) causing precharge and relay to close powering inverter (and my contactors as they’re on the same relay as inverter power) INVstat stays off
Domt177

Post by Domt177 »

I’ve now wired up MG1 and 2 temp sensors and checked my wiring, still nothing. Not even any inverter whine. I can see it’s getting 12v and goes into run mode etc.

Basically my questions are:
Is there a way to check inverter comms?

Is all that’s needed to run a Prius gen3 with zombie the 4 signals (HTM MTH CLK and REQ) ? From reading other threads I think that’s all that’s needed but ready to be corrected.

There’s an ILKI and ILKO labelled interlock, I doubt it but could that be what’s stopping it from running?
irsjohnk

Post by irsjohnk »

Jack Bauer wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:39 am Sounds like a problem with the wifi module. Have you tried reprogramming it? Details here :
I just figured out how to re flash but it gives me the same problem every time i do it. I'm thinking the modal is bad.
Tim
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Domt177 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:58 pm I’ve now wired up MG1 and 2 temp sensors and checked my wiring, still nothing. Not even any inverter whine. I can see it’s getting 12v and goes into run mode etc.

Is all that’s needed to run a Prius gen3 with zombie the 4 signals (HTM MTH CLK and REQ) ? From reading other threads I think that’s all that’s needed but ready to be corrected.

There’s an ILKI and ILKO labelled interlock, I doubt it but could that be what’s stopping it from running?
Could I suggest holding fire on this for another few days. I finally have most of the bits needed to setup a test system and will be making a series of very detailed videos on connecting various drivetrains to the vcu. Given the amount of unknowns in such a setup including if the software you are using is actually working properly its very hard to provide support. Once my own test setup is up and running the sw releases are the first thing I plan to clean up. Then once everyone is on known working sw, we know the hw works it greatly simplifies the process.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

irsjohnk wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:14 pm
Jack Bauer wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:39 am Sounds like a problem with the wifi module. Have you tried reprogramming it? Details here :
I just figured out how to re flash but it gives me the same problem every time i do it. I'm thinking the modal is bad.
If you have a doa wifi module then please contact me via pm with your order number to arrange a replacement. Must say I really hate those modules...
Domt177

Post by Domt177 »

Jack Bauer wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:43 am
Domt177 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:58 pm I’ve now wired up MG1 and 2 temp sensors and checked my wiring, still nothing. Not even any inverter whine. I can see it’s getting 12v and goes into run mode etc.

Could I suggest holding fire on this for another few days. I finally have most of the bits needed to setup a test system and will be making a series of very detailed videos on connecting various drivetrains to the vcu. Given the amount of unknowns in such a setup including if the software you are using is actually working properly its very hard to provide support. Once my own test setup is up and running the sw releases are the first thing I plan to clean up. Then once everyone is on known working sw, we know the hw works it greatly simplifies the process.
Of course, thanks for the reply