ZombieVerter VCU Support

86elcamino

Re: ZombieVerter VCU Support

Post by 86elcamino »

Jonr wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:47 pm Thanks for that. After hours of trying, the wifi connection to the "inverter" SSID finally stayed up long enough to allow me to load a working prior version. Once done, the wifi access stabilised and the motor behaviour reverted to the smooth operation - all good.

The question I wanted to get to is with regard to the relays/contactors. Following the start sequence of:-

1) Power on
2) Ignition on
3) press start

At what point should each relay/contactor be energised?

I'm guessing that on power on, they are all closed
At ignition on, the negative contactor, precharge and inverter power relays/contactors all activate
At "engine start", the positive contactor is activated and the precharge contactor opens.

Is the above correct?? - The problem is that on my system, when ignition is enabled, no relays/contactor are engergised
But, when the "engine start" is pressed, all relays/contactors are enabled at once.... that seems a little wrong !

Can someone enlighten me to the expected behaviour?
I'm having the same issue.
The inverter power relay does not energize until the start button is pressed, along with the contactors.
Then my opmode goes to run, the throttle commands torque.
I have 60V coming out of the contactors, 12V from the inverter relay.
But invudc is 0 and no spinning
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

That is the correct operation. Its demonstrated in the videos. Also in the latest video I go through some basic diagnostic tests to run on the connection between inverter and vcu.
I'm going to need a hacksaw
Jonr

Post by Jonr »

nkiernan wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:19 pm When you apply start signal, the negative and pre-charge contactors will close allowing the pre-charge. You will hold the start signal 'on' and once the pre-charge voltage has reached your settings (udcsw in the web interface), the positive contactor will close and the start signal can be disconnected. All three (neg, pre-c, pos) stay on then. Inverter power relay comes on at 'Ignition On' before start signal.

If all three contactors come on when you apply start, ensure your udcsw isn't set too low in relation to your HV. See the wiki for info on setting these.
Perfect - thank you for the confirmatuion, this is exactly the pointer I needed - Off to the wiki for me and some more videos from Jack
Kind regards
Project : GS450h into BMW 3 Series Touring?
Domt177

Post by Domt177 »

Still having some issues when trying to get my is300h inverter to work:

After every power cycle (remove 12v from zombie and re apply) I have to reselect CAN2 for shunt can, yes I’ve saved parameters, it starts as CAN2, I have to select CAN1, then back to CAN2 for it to work and precharge etc. re-initialising the shunt hasn’t helped

All 4 comms channels have 60ohm resistance and using an oscilloscope I found REQ and MTH seem to have no data on them, just noise (see photos)

My not very accurate current sensor multimeter says Inverter power draw goes from 1.2a when off (which will actually be 0a as it’s not connected to any 12v then) to 2.2a when oppmode is in run. So seems to go up about 1a which seems sensible? Still getting torque commands etc but no spinning
Attachments
EC4ED6E9-E75E-4975-8E06-39EC61673875.jpeg
8F7ECA95-9A26-418C-81DA-370D7C6B381D.jpeg
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

The CAN2 issue sounds like either a VCU specific code or libopeninv problem. Either way I should be able to replaicate this on the bench and provide a fix. Not seen it myself as my shunt is on CAN1. Just goes to show how valuable feedback and participation is to this project.

Regards the GS300h. 1 amp of 12v draw means the inverter is alive but not initialised. It will draw approx 1.5A when punched up and ready to run the motors. No MTH data can mean : Inverter problem (unlikely) or the CLK signal is not reaching the inverter. The REQ pulse is very narrow so may be missing it with a handheld scope. That said even if REQ were missing you would still see MTH packets. With 60R on all 4 pairs it means you have no open connections but it does not mean the polarity is correct so be sure the + is to + and - to - for all 4 pairs. Just one last random thought : like the 450h the 300h inverter has an inverter disable line. I dont't have it connected to anything on my bench rig but if that were asserted ( i forget its either pulled to gnd or 12v) then that would cause the inverter to display the symptoms you are seeing.
Domt177

Post by Domt177 »

Jack Bauer wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:50 am The CAN2 issue sounds like either a VCU specific code or libopeninv problem. Either way I should be able to replaicate this on the bench and provide a fix. Not seen it myself as my shunt is on CAN1. Just goes to show how valuable feedback and participation is to this project.

Regards the GS300h. 1 amp of 12v draw means the inverter is alive but not initialised. It will draw approx 1.5A when punched up and ready to run the motors. No MTH data can mean : Inverter problem (unlikely) or the CLK signal is not reaching the inverter. The REQ pulse is very narrow so may be missing it with a handheld scope. That said even if REQ were missing you would still see MTH packets. With 60R on all 4 pairs it means you have no open connections but it does not mean the polarity is correct so be sure the + is to + and - to - for all 4 pairs. Just one last random thought : like the 450h the 300h inverter has an inverter disable line. I dont't have it connected to anything on my bench rig but if that were asserted ( i forget its either pulled to gnd or 12v) then that would cause the inverter to display the symptoms you are seeing.
Ok, using bench power supply I can see 12v current draw goes from 0.13a to 2.25a when contactors close and inverter is powered, so 2.1a seems reasonable for contactors and inverter?

Currently only have the connections you have in the video connected, have double checked my polarities are correct and reaching each end (inverter and zombie)
The only difference is 44v battery and using screw joiners for my resolvers (which won’t affect the 4 comms pairs) and not using shielded cable.
86elcamino

Post by 86elcamino »

I've been going over my wiring.
Comparing the Zombie to the wiring diagram I have for the old GS VCU.

Does the Zombieverter not use SL1+ and SL2+ terminals of the ECT connector on the GS450h? Also, there are 2 terminals for SP in the connector, are they both used or just one, and if so which one? I'm assuming the trans temp E and THO are not used at all.

Thanks
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

As I stated in the most recent video I am not discussing the connections of the shift solenoids to the VCU until I have the firmware around shifting debugged and safetied. Otherwise some clown will be barelling down the motorway at 70mph and shift into low.
86elcamino

Post by 86elcamino »

I understand, but it would be nice to be able to not have to pull my wiring harness back out of the car to add some wires in. Guess I can just throw some extras in now.
FieroJam

Post by FieroJam »

Jack Bauer wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:26 am Yes the isa shunt is required and I have explained that in the video series and put links in the video description to :
https://www.evcreate.nl/shop/charging/i ... nt-sensor/

Over on the wiki page the videos are even indexed with the specifics of connecting the shunt and the why :
https://openinverter.org/wiki/ZombieVerter_VCU
Hello: Damien

The link for the shunt has this:
Isabellenhütte CAN IVT current sensor with 1000A nominal current. It is a new old stock item. Note, this is the current only version! It cannot measure voltage and (thus) is not usable for the Zombiverter and other VCU solutions developed by Damien Maguire (EVbmw).
I notice that Isabellenhutte has a number of different models.

Is there anything specific we need to look for in a IVT Shunt for it to be compatible to the Zombieverter VCU?
86elcamino

Post by 86elcamino »

If the opmode = run, should the INVudc show the voltage at the inverter HV terminals? I have 60V at the inverter, but showing 0 on INVudc, and InvStat = off The inverter also has 12v at the low voltage connector. Where does the uaux (reading 12.65 now)reading come from? I assume the VCU?
I'm getting opmode = on and commanding torque with throttle, but no spin. I also don't hear a whine, but if it's high pitched, I probably won't be able to hear it. I've checked all the wiring again, and everything seems correct. Is there a way to diagnose a bad inverter? Is there any type of fuse in the inverter?
asavage

Post by asavage »

FieroJam wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:48 pm The link for the shunt has this:
[wrong IVT-S]

I notice that Isabellenhutte has a number of different models.

Is there anything specific we need to look for in a IVT Shunt for it to be compatible to the Zombieverter VCU?
Generically, the "correct" (probably most commonly ordered/used) IVT-S is IVT-S-1K-U3-I-CAN2-12/24
https://www.evcreate.nl/shop/charging/i ... ge-sensor/
and Lars is selling it at €295. I need to buy one too, but the price is a bit daunting right now. I'm hoping a group buy comes up again.

Depending on your installation, you can change some of those parameters (eg "1K" could be "500", or "CAN2" could be "CAN1", but you'll need to stay with "U3", otherwise the unit doesn't have a way to measure voltage, which the ZV needs.

"I" and "12/24" are the only available options, so they don't change, ever. Click on the image below to be able to read it:
ISAScale IVT-S datasheet
ISAScale IVT-S datasheet
The datasheet (at Lar's website) is https://www.evcreate.nl/wp-content/uplo ... _IVT-S.pdf
Al Savage
2014 RAV4 EV
NissanDiesel
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Folks am sorry but I can't answer the same questions again and again. Please review the videos and use the search function.
e.g. : viewtopic.php?p=45269&hilit=invudc#p45269

I have bench and car tested the 450h functions of the code and am progress installing a 450h system into my E39 so I have a vehicle here at hand to perform further testing and development. Not sure what else I can be doing.
86elcamino

Post by 86elcamino »

Success! It spins, and oil pump runs.
Reloaded the lateststm32 file. I thought I had already loaded it, but must not have gone through. Does the version # in spot values relate to the stm file, or something else? Mine still reads 1.00.A, but the latest I loaded was V1.01.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Ah must change the version number. Sorry
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

86elcamino wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:14 am Success! It spins, and oil pump runs.
Reloaded the lateststm32 file. I thought I had already loaded it, but must not have gone through. Does the version # in spot values relate to the stm file, or something else? Mine still reads 1.00.A, but the latest I loaded was V1.01.
Good to hear :) And interesting point, could it be as simple as a glitchy upload causing an issue. All my uploads have needed multiple attempts after pausing or losing connection. Something I can look at
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

If you have an android device download a "wifi analyser" type program and see if there is any nearby stations on the same channel as the vcu. Caused me untold problems a few years ago when a provider of local area wifi setup and squealed out half the wifi channels in my area.
Jonr

Post by Jonr »

Jack Bauer wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:26 pm Received today the first batch of VCU board with STM32 and most other parts fitted. Been a long time:) Also Wemos wifi adapter boards received and tested working. Once current batch of Olimex modules are exhausted (and with 50% going in the bin it wont take long!) all kits will ship with Wemos modules and adapter board. We'll give it a few months to bed in then I'll do a design rev to mount the wemos on the pcb directly.
Hi Jack
Do you have a timeline for the replacement of the Olimex board? I've used these the past for a home automation project but dumped them in favour of the NodeMCU (a little overkill but really fast and reliable) albeit a larger form factor.

Once replaced, we can have a ritual burning of the Olimex boards.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Sorry no timeline as yet. I want to test them out in a car for a bit to make sure I'm not just substituting bad for worse.
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

Just for info really following some earlier comments/suggestions in this thread.

I downloaded an android wifi analyser and did some checks. Pretty much out in the sticks so only networks that showed up were the Zombie and PCS controller wifi channels, and the PCS I can turn off when testing the Zombie. So my hit and miss wifi firmware updates could be the ESP or maybe just my old laptops issue.

So I got a clone ST-Link hooked up and working with STM32 Utility and can now upload hex files direct. Uploaded the latest V1.01 hex and was feeling good that this might fix the no spinning, InvStat = Off and InvUDC = 0V issues I'm having, but ran a few tests and same result.

So will wait for the built Zombie I have on order and see if that has a different result, pretty sure it will work out of the box
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Fully built vcu boards are in progress:) Of course my crappy aliexpress 60v 5a psu decided to go pop this morning...
Attachments
2022-09-29 12.14.57.jpg
TheSilverBuick

Post by TheSilverBuick »

*drools*

No hurry for one bound for Nevada (assuming its not already in the post), I am looking forward to the E39 test drives.
Need to learn. Starting from the basics.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

On its way to you:)

In other news I asked a customer who has had persistent problems getting a Lexus drivetrain to run to send his VCU back to me for analysis. Turned out to be nothing more than some poor solder joints on the CAN transcievers. Once cleaned up and resoldered everything works as expected. Also 3 vcus built up yesterday worked out of the box with release firmware. Predictably, I binned more Olimex wifi modules than I shipped but thats my problem. I would encourage folks to please use the release firmware and if problems exist check the hardware as much as possible. If you are unsure of your ability to perform smd soldering then please use a professional service. The good news here is that most smd parts are now placed so hopefully these problems will be less frequent.
gaborpapp95

Post by gaborpapp95 »

Hello everyone!:)

I got my VCU a month ago and by now I gathered enough info to get started with it. My first problem that I can't seem to solve is sourcing the missing chips from the board :/
It looks like this one is the hardest to came by: IC10 - MCP25625T-E_ML
If anyone has some spare that willing to sell I would be very happy to buy it! Or please let me know if you know a place where I could source them :)
Jonr

Post by Jonr »

nkiernan wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:27 pm Just for info really following some earlier comments/suggestions in this thread.

I downloaded an android wifi analyser and did some checks. Pretty much out in the sticks so only networks that showed up were the Zombie and PCS controller wifi channels, and the PCS I can turn off when testing the Zombie. So my hit and miss wifi firmware updates could be the ESP or maybe just my old laptops issue.

So I got a clone ST-Link hooked up and working with STM32 Utility and can now upload hex files direct. Uploaded the latest V1.01 hex and was feeling good that this might fix the no spinning, InvStat = Off and InvUDC = 0V issues I'm having, but ran a few tests and same result.

So will wait for the built Zombie I have on order and see if that has a different result, pretty sure it will work out of the box
What's that I hear you ask?

Thank you for asking - that's a nodeMCU in place of the Olimex. After much headbanging, it works beautifully. I had PIA network issues, installed a WiFi repater, changed the wifi channel to no avail. Swapped out the Olimex for a nodeMCU (nodeMCU because I had a spare one handy) and it all works a zillion times better.

Today is a big day - got the nodeMCU working reliably on the ZombieVerter, bought a good value 2004 E46 Touring for conversion and a 530e HV battery pack was delivered to my home...... That should shut me up for a while
Attachments
NodeMCU.JPG