ZombieVerter VCU Support

dadiowe

Re: ZombieVerter VCU Support

Post by dadiowe »

et0 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:16 pm IIRC it's to do with protecting the inverter against blowing up if the contactor opens unexpectedly.

I have *not* seen a contactor open during my testing, since I fixed the issue from the post above, which was simply that the power drivers in the VCU are not rated to drive the contactor coils directly.
You might have the same issue or perhaps even just a loose wire?
You are right about the possability of a loose connection and I am sure you know how hard it can be to prove or find. I am using economiser contactors.

The use of the video was to demonstrate that precharge seems to be energised all the time.

Have you manged to road test yet?
et0

Post by et0 »

dadiowe wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:54 pm You are right about the possability of a loose connection and I am sure you know how hard it can be to prove or find. I am using economiser contactors.

The use of the video was to demonstrate that precharge seems to be energised all the time.

Have you manged to road test yet?
I'm going to have to leave it for this week, but IMO the problem area is identified and hopefully Damien can reproduce it, and will have a better idea how to solve it than me. Assuming it is to do with the change of int to float.

Beyond that, what I need to get to for it to be usable:
1) regen. I can see some code has been added for it (maybe that is the reason to change to Float) but no sign of it working yet.
2) smooth current limiting instead of hard cut. That obviously still needs to be developed.
3) a proper throttle response curve. There is some kind of ramp function now but needs something a bit more OEM like.
dadiowe

Post by dadiowe »

Jack Bauer wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:04 am Parameter file attached from the E39.
I have just driven my car with Damiens Parameters, except for battery pack settings (350volt, 52Kw) and with that set up the car drives pretty smoothly. I also have a much better throttle response with no dead spot before the car starts to move. I would say though that the car does feel pretty "gutless" on the throtmax set at 10 (%).

I ran out of time to try higher throtmax settings so hopefully I can try that tomorrow.

I have also replaced my "blown" Precharge resistor and put a crank relay to drive the precharge contactor so that if something does go wrong with the main contacter the car is not using the resistor. This also saves having a contactor powered needlessly.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

you can increase throtmax. I just had it set low for testing. In other news there is a big bug fix release soon thanks to some fantastic work by one of my patrons.
I'm going to need a hacksaw
et0

Post by et0 »

Jack Bauer wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:42 pm you can increase throtmax. I just had it set low for testing. In other news there is a big bug fix release soon thanks to some fantastic work by one of my patrons.
That will fix the torque cut problem? Good news, we’ll wait for that and stop fiddling with it then 👍
VWJoe

Post by VWJoe »

Having problems with a Leaf Stack Gen 3 connected to a VCU. I'm at the stage of supplying 360 volts to the PDM. The IVT Shunt and Inverter are both showing the correct voltage and the Inverter is outputting its temp over Canbus.

The VCU is showing Run and that forward is selected. When I press the throttle, Potnom shows the correct throttle, and Torque is also increases, but the motor does not spin. The status reads potpressed when the throttle is pressed.

The VCU does not seem to send any Can message relating to the Inverter.

PDM has 12 volts to pin 18 and switched 12 volts to 16. Inverter 12 volts to pins 1 and 6 and switched to 18, ground on 4 and 10.

udcmin 280, udlim 402, revlim 1000, Ver 1.01.

I know I'm missing something, but can't seem to find it.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Can everyone please update to the latest V1.06A code here :
https://github.com/damienmaguire/Stm32- ... /tag/1.06A
Following a few very intensive days testing and coding by some very kind patrons we uncovered a very significant bug in the throttle handling routine. This is now fixed, improved upon and tested on bench and in cars. Please see the release notes for more info.

Additionally a bug in the toyota sync serial clock generation was found and fixed that caused random failures of the inverter to initialise at startup.
dadiowe

Post by dadiowe »

VWJoe wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:40 pm Having problems with a Leaf Stack Gen 3 connected to a VCU. I'm at the stage of supplying 360 volts to the PDM. The IVT Shunt and Inverter are both showing the correct voltage and the Inverter is outputting its temp over Canbus.

The VCU is showing Run and that forward is selected. When I press the throttle, Potnom shows the correct throttle, and Torque is also increases, but the motor does not spin. The status reads potpressed when the throttle is pressed.

The VCU does not seem to send any Can message relating to the Inverter.

PDM has 12 volts to pin 18 and switched 12 volts to 16. Inverter 12 volts to pins 1 and 6 and switched to 18, ground on 4 and 10.

udcmin 280, udlim 402, revlim 1000, Ver 1.01.

If its any help this is the .bin file that I used to get the Leaf system to run before you aquired it.
Attachments

[The extension bin has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

VWJoe

Post by VWJoe »

dadiowe wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:25 pm If its any help this is the .bin file that I used to get the Leaf system to run before you aquired it.
Hi,

Thanks Rob, got it spinning which is a relief. Just need to work out why version 1.01 or the latest 1.06 will not work.

Thank again, hope your project is going well.
dadiowe

Post by dadiowe »

VWJoe wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:11 pm Hi,

Thanks Rob, got it spinning which is a relief. Just need to work out why version 1.01 or the latest 1.06 will not work.

Thank again, hope your project is going well.
Actually getting to a position where the car is driving.

Glad to help.
Domt177

Post by Domt177 »

VWJoe wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:40 pm
How are you sending switched 12v to the inverter?
Make sure the inverter has its perm 12v and switched 12v separate, and that the inverter was powered on after the Zombieverter
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Not as much as a thank you for the effort put into solving a BIG bug and testing the fix? Ok.
m.art.y

Post by m.art.y »

We are all extremely grateful just trying not to clutter the thread too much otherwise would be scrolling through pages and pages of thank you's when in need of info 😊. Perhaps better to send a few bucks as an expression of gratitude?
VWJoe

Post by VWJoe »

Domt177 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:52 pm How are you sending switched 12v to the inverter?
Make sure the inverter has its perm 12v and switched 12v separate, and that the inverter was powered on after the Zombieverter
Yep, have both the prem 12v to the Inverter and the switch 12v which the VCU is controlling via relay. Can get the motor to spin with the older version of the software (Mar 2022), but the later versions 1.01 and 1.06 do not get anything.

Checking the Can message the old versions I'm getting 1D4 (Torque command) ok, later version no 1D4, but I have a torque spot value.

VCU is reading the inverter OK. Something is stopping the VCU from sending 1D4.
crasbe

Post by crasbe »

VWJoe wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:48 pm Yep, have both the prem 12v to the Inverter and the switch 12v which the VCU is controlling via relay. Can get the motor to spin with the older version of the software (Mar 2022), but the later versions 1.01 and 1.06 do not get anything.

Checking the Can message the old versions I'm getting 1D4 (Torque command) ok, later version no 1D4, but I have a torque spot value.

VCU is reading the inverter OK. Something is stopping the VCU from sending 1D4.
Which CAN addresses is it sending? Only 0x1D4 missing?

0x11A, 0x1DB, 0x50B, 0x1DC, 0x1F2 should be present as well, those are all the addresses from the 10ms Task.

0x55B, 0x59E, 0x5BC are from the 100ms Task, are those present?

Can you post your full parameter file please?
crasbe

Post by crasbe »

Please try the new 1.07A release, we found a typo in the Leaf code that prevents the inverter entering run mode: https://github.com/damienmaguire/Stm32- ... /tag/1.07A
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

Wanted to share another update on my Zombie/GS450H investigations!

Well it spins! Thanks to Damien and those contributing to this thread :) First time getting the GS450H inverter and drive running

There's a little caveat and a question I might need some help with

So I got hold of a third GS450H inverter. Connected it up and get the exact same result as the first two, InvStat stays Off, Invudc not reading HV, and no spin. So I wired back in the GS450H VCU to check if this new inverter could be run on that board like the other inverters and yes, all runs 100% forward and backward. I've been capturing the comms signals with a cheap saleae logic analyser, so hooked it up to the GS450H VCU comms pins. Look to get decent signals (although I wouldn't know what correct signals looked like!) and when blipping the throttle and spinning the motor, MTH signals pulsed away, so my conclusion was that the inverter can actually communicate as needed to run the system

Z015.JPG
8Channel_GS450HVCU_12VPower_FWDGear_Turning_191122.JPG

Seeing Damien's posts about the latest 1.06 firmware, I reconnected the zombie and updated the firmware. Quick test but no change in result. I wanted to grab a saleae log for comparison to my previous logs, plugged the saleae into the laptop (running off its own battery power) and followed the same Ignition On and Start signal sequence. HV contactors did their thing, HV to inverter (4 x 12V batteries, 49V) and 13.5V to inverter, and there it was! First time hearing the inverter whine with the Zombie.

This was accompanied by the Windows 10 USB disconnect and reconnect sound, so the laptop was dropping and reconnecting to the saleae analyser??? Strange. I plugged the analyser out and the inverter whine stopped immediately. Analyser was connected to the 8 comms lines and the zombie ground.

So I repeated this to see if I could get the gearbox to spin. Connected the analyser to the laptop again, ign on, start applied, system into run mode and inverter whine. Applied the forward signal and pressed the throttle pedal and away it span, class. Spent a few minutes spinning at different speeds, and checked the web interface to see Invstat was ON and Invudc was reading correctly. When I unplugged the analyser USB cable, inverter shut down again.

Unfortunately I'm not sure what this means, the analyser must be doing something to help the 12V ground plane maybe, or doing something to correct the resistance or separation of the comms signals. Would anyone have an idea what this means to maybe point me in the right direction? Thank you

Z017.JPG
Zom01_201122.JPG
Zom02_201122.JPG
crasbe

Post by crasbe »

Do you happen to have access to an oscilloscope? Those kind of problems sound like noise or level problems.
When you connected your PC, you earthed your system which might help with noise.

Can you post a more zoomed in picture of the logic analyzer program? Or maybe export the captured signals?
MTH+ certainly looks suspicious, it shouldn't be stuck high so much 🤔
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Not that I can really fill the gap, I noticed a subtle difference in termination. Zombie has plain 120 Ohms across H/L where as the 450h dedicated had 2x60 Ohms and a cap two ground.

Whatever it is, your signal integrity suffers at some point. Had that happen many times - connect scope, all good. Disconnect - no longer working.

An crasbe just wrote what I was going, to - perfect :)
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
crasbe

Post by crasbe »

Just a stupid idea but... did you measure the value of R20, R24, R32?
Not that R20 is a 12 Ohm resistor and adds too much load to the signal lines. But juuuuust enough for it to work sometimes.
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

Thank you Crasbe and Johu for your replies.

I don't have a better scope unfortunately. I grabbed a few screenshots zooming in on the capture because the file type doesn't seem to be supported here (note this is from the working older GS450H VCU). Damien did find that the older VCU firmware didn't care as much about the return data on MTH but the Zombie does. First image shows three separate presses of the throttle, holding it on longer the third time.

GS450H_VCU_001.JPG
GS450H_VCU_002.JPG
GS450H_VCU_003.JPG

I didn't know what to check so I didn't check those resistors but can try them tomorrow hopefully, thank you Crasbe. I was going to check if just disconnecting the Saleae's ground wire caused the inverter to shut down or if it was one or more of the signal wires.

The screenshots below are from a previous capture with the 1.01 firmware on the Zombie. Some of the previous captures pointed to a lot of commonality between channels and looked like signal bleeding between channels, and the clock signal had breaks. Interestingly I'm not sure I can get a saleae capture with the 1.06 firmware, as it won't stay connected on the USB like before!

Zombie_VCU_001.JPG
Zombie_VCU_002.JPG
Zombie_VCU_003.JPG
crasbe

Post by crasbe »

You can attach the file if you compress it in a .zip archive.

The signals really look like there's noise present. Do you have the cables of the differential pairs of MTH+ and MTH+, CLK+ and CLK-, HTM+ and HTM- twisted? or are they just "dangling"?

Twisting them might actually significantly improve the signal quality. Maybe adding shielding or using Cat5 S/FTP ethernet cable could work as well. 🤔
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

crasbe wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:47 pm Twisting them might actually significantly improve the signal quality. Maybe adding shielding or using Cat5 S/FTP ethernet cable could work as well. 🤔
Ahh, will try the zip file, cheers.

They are twisted pairs about 40cm long
VWJoe

Post by VWJoe »

crasbe wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:52 pm Which CAN addresses is it sending? Only 0x1D4 missing?

0x11A, 0x1DB, 0x50B, 0x1DC, 0x1F2 should be present as well, those are all the addresses from the 10ms Task.

0x55B, 0x59E, 0x5BC are from the 100ms Task, are those present?

Can you post your full parameter file please?
With the old bin file loaded (a pre-release about June 22) the motor runs and I get 0x11A, 0X1DB, 0X50B, 0X55B,0X59E,0X5BC and the can messages from the inverter. I don't get 0x1DC or 0x1F2, but the system runs. This software is the one with regen, but has a problem with the run away in reverse.

Loading version 1.00 and above I do not get any of the codes above, just the codes from the inverter. I do get 0x109, having a look at the code is this something to do with the Chademo charging, so does the VCU think my stack is charging, just an idea.

Parameter file is attached.

Any ideas are very much welcome.